Men - UConn Baseball and the transfer portal | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball and the transfer portal

Reaction Score
Lets hope that UConn continues to have the "problem" of having a few potential top draft picks on the roster that might think of transferring. Reggie's path to a potential transfer was not normal and if not for COVID and the injury he would be hailed as one of the best to wear a UConn uniform. He would have played his 3 years at UConn and be anticipating the draft. He is betting on himself. The supposed transfer to one of the top teams in the country is a message to MLB staffs that he will be healthy and ready to compete. He and his handlers must think this is the best path to draft success. Who knows, if he stays at Tennessee he could struggle against better competition and drop in next year's draft.

Reaction Score
I just hope that when he gets drafted the media counts him as coming from UConn rather than Tennessee. Could very well see the uneducated just simply taking the lazy way out saying he's a Tennessee player, which would be gut wrenching to say the least...

Reaction Score
Part of me gets going to Tennessee, but to me if he does play another year in college why would you not blow up at Uconn. It would seemingly give you more notoriety, especially if he led a northern team to CWS in a sport dominated by southern teams. I guess it’s a straight on cash play at this point.
NIL potential.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Folks were down on the AAC because of the travel. But if UConn is going to have a strong OOC schedule in baseball, we will have to travel extensively.
True, but we would still need to in the American as well.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
So when he gets drafted next week do they show his school as Tennessee or UConn ?
I think you know what the answer is going to be.

Reaction Score
It will be UConn since he won’t be enrolled yet or ever stepped on the field in Knoxville. Taking pictures in a uniform doesn’t count. Not that it matters much. Best wishes Reggie!

Reaction Score
If we can do anything to help our beloved university, it's to start contacting those we know who have money to spare and ask them to create opportunities for our athletes. Hell, if I was Governor, I'd make life so difficult for ESPN unless they helped UConn in this new environment. They have way too much invested here to pull out.
Totally agree. Espn has not done much ever for UConn.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. Espn has not done much ever for UConn.
That's so damn true. However most of the near women's basketball world believes ESPN is in UConn's pocket. And that there's a loyalty to UConn unmatched in the media space.

Reaction Score
My wife and I were at the Norwich Sea Unicorns game last night. We ended up talking to a baseball friend who goes to college games and college summer league games all over the place in the spring and summer. This guy talks to everyone in sight (no wonder he talks to us, as we have known him for a bunch of years from our attending games in Norwich from when they had minor league teams). He told us that Jackson Ferrigno will be going to North Alabama of the Atlantic Sun Conference in the fall. I have enjoyed watching Ferrigno play this summer, even though I pretty much figured he wasn't coming back to UConn baseball.

I found this on the North Alabama website about Ferrigno joining their baseball team:

https://www.roarlions.com/news/2022/7/27/baseball-lions-Amari DeBerry-three-baseball-signees.aspx

Reaction Score
Man, this one hurts. Kevin Ferrer has announced he is transferring to Northwestern. With his hot summer with the bat so far I was hoping to see him in the heart of the UConn order this spring but I guess it wasn’t meant to be. After being plagued by injuries, I really do wish him all the best in his career

Attachments

• 28EEF665-33AD-4DB2-B499-4822FC99B298.png
    28EEF665-33AD-4DB2-B499-4822FC99B298.png
    637.2 KB · Views: 195
Reaction Score
Man, this one hurts. Kevin Ferrer has announced he is transferring to Northwestern. With his hot summer with the bat so far I was hoping to see him in the heart of the UConn order this spring but I guess it wasn’t meant to be. After being plagued by injuries, I really do wish him all the best in his career

Booo… but a change of scenery/chance for fresh start in the Big10 is understandable.

Reaction Score
Unfortunate. Would love to know if this is baseball related, or if this has more to do with his grad school degree. Anyway, good luck to him. Whatever one thinks of the ease of transfers these days, I have no issue whatsoever with those who already have their degrees finishing their eligibility somewhere else.

Reaction Score
It had sounded like the odds favored Kevin Ferrer returning to UConn baseball in the fall even though he was in the transfer portal. With the Northwestern transfer announcement, so much for that.

UConn is certainly going to have a number of roster spots to fill for next season, so fall ball is going to be interesting. As far as I can figure, UConn baseball has something like 7 or 8 position players returning to the team. Number 8 would include redshirt freshman infielder Jack Petersen who was not in the transfer portal. Haven't heard much if any news about him in tweets or such, he quickly disappeared from summer ball with the New Britain Bees this summer. I'd like to think he is back with the team this fall, but with college baseball you just can't be sure of these things until you see something of a fall roster.

By the way, here are the other expected returning position players for UConn baseball for fall ball.

Ben Huber
TC Simmons
David Smith
Kevin Morton
Matt Garbowski
Bryan Padilla
Ryan Hyde

Of course, it's always possible that someone in the transfer portal could return to UConn baseball if they don't move on to another team.

Reaction Score
According to the D1Baseball.com Transfer Portal, RHP Craig Pihlkar (who left UConn baseball before the 2022 season) has transferred to Suffolk County (NY) CC.

Reaction Score
It had sounded like the odds favored Kevin Ferrer returning to UConn baseball in the fall even though he was in the transfer portal. With the Northwestern transfer announcement, so much for that.

UConn is certainly going to have a number of roster spots to fill for next season, so fall ball is going to be interesting. As far as I can figure, UConn baseball has something like 7 or 8 position players returning to the team. Number 8 would include redshirt freshman infielder Jack Petersen who was not in the transfer portal. Haven't heard much if any news about him in tweets or such, he quickly disappeared from summer ball with the New Britain Bees this summer. I'd like to think he is back with the team this fall, but with college baseball you just can't be sure of these things until you see something of a fall roster.

By the way, here are the other expected returning position players for UConn baseball for fall ball.

Ben Huber
TC Simmons
David Smith
Kevin Morton
Matt Garbowski
Bryan Padilla
Ryan Hyde

Of course, it's always possible that someone in the transfer portal could return to UConn baseball if they don't move on to another team.
Ahhh ? Think you mean Korey Morton not Kevin Morton …..

Reaction Score
Bobby McBride has transferred to Coastal Carolina:

So far five players who have transferred away from UConn baseball this past season have ended up at other Division 1 schools.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Bobby McBride has transferred to Coastal Carolina:

So far five players who have transferred away from UConn baseball this past season have ended up at other Division 1 schools.
Sucks losing guys to other schools. Seems like we are gonna be a very different looking team.

Reaction Score
Sucks losing guys to other schools. Seems like we are gonna be a very different looking team.

I think in large part due to the limited number of scholarships and all the partial scholarships involved in college baseball, it seemed to me that even before the new transfer rules took effect that were always a goodly number of transfers in college baseball during the off season. With the new tranfer rules plus other financial factors, now there are even more transfers. I suspect that after two years in Storrs, it might have been pretty obvious to McBride that he did not have much of a future, or for that matter any scholarship money coming to him, at UConn.

Yes, no question that that the 2023 UConn team is going to be a very different looking team, especially with the entire weekend starting rotation gone from the previous season.

Reaction Score
Your second sentence is correct. Your first sentence is nonsensical. Guys who hadn’t played well enough to play going to other schools just opens up roster space for those who might help. I wish Bobby McBride nothing but the best wherever he goes, but he got chances each of the last two years and didn’t get it done. Him going somewhere else is not a cause for concern.

Reaction Score

Your second sentence is correct. Your first sentence is nonsensical. Guys who hadn’t played well enough to play going to other schools just opens up roster space for those who might help. I wish Bobby McBride nothing but the best wherever he goes, but he got chances each of the last two years and didn’t get it done. Him going somewhere else is not a cause for concern.

Limited and partial scholarship college sports such as baseball are certainly different from full scholarship sports such as basketball. College baseball has a fall roster, and some players are cut from it to eventually form the spring roster. Don't think this happens in basketball and other full scholarship sports, perhaps maybe in football. In general, baseball players on scholarship (partial or full) cannot be cut, meaning the players who end up being cut are walk ons who are not on scholarship. I have no idea if Bobby McBride at some point was ever getting scholarship money from UConn baseball, but I suspect that if he was, it might have been withdrawn at some point due to lack of production. A number of young pitchers had certainly moved ahead of McBride on the pitching depth chart, so time certainly had certainly seemed to pass him by at UConn. McBride certainly has talent, but he was never able to harness it.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Whatever you say. This doesn’t seem terrible though. More like it was too crowded for him to see the mound and he wanted to play.

• Appeared in five games out of the bullpen for the Huskies
  • Struck out five batters in just 3.0 innings pitched on the season
  • Fired a 1.0-scoreless inning with a pair of strikeouts versus Hartford (March 8)
  • Retired all three batters he faced in a 1.0-scoreless frame against Central Connecticut (April 5)

2021 (Freshman) at UConn

• Appeared in six games as a true freshman
  • Five of his six outings were shorter than an inning of work
  • Only allowed a run in one of his six appearances
  • His first career appearance came versus UMass (April 2), throwing a 1.0-scoreless inning with two strikeouts
  • Held opponents to a .182 batting average on the season

Reaction Score
Whatever you say. This doesn’t seem terrible though. More like it was too crowded for him to see the mound and he wanted to play.

• Appeared in five games out of the bullpen for the Huskies
  • Struck out five batters in just 3.0 innings pitched on the season
  • Fired a 1.0-scoreless inning with a pair of strikeouts versus Hartford (March 8)
  • Retired all three batters he faced in a 1.0-scoreless frame against Central Connecticut (April 5)

2021 (Freshman) at UConn

• Appeared in six games as a true freshman
  • Five of his six outings were shorter than an inning of work
  • Only allowed a run in one of his six appearances
  • His first career appearance came versus UMass (April 2), throwing a 1.0-scoreless inning with two strikeouts
  • Held opponents to a .182 batting average on the season
LOL. Thank you for showing that you can make someone look good by cherry picking stats. I'm sure no one here knew that.

Look at walks per nine innings. No more needs be said.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
LOL. Thank you for showing that you can make someone look good by cherry picking stats. I'm sure no one here knew that.

Look at walks per nine innings. No more needs be said.
Lol... Why do you make something out of an off the cuff statement. Are you that bored? We all root for the same team here, but for some reason you always think you’re the smartest guy in the room. You’re insufferable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom