Men - UConn Baseball and the transfer portal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball and the transfer portal

Reaction Score
The problem with a BE/BIG Ten partnership is the BIG Ten doesn't want it. It's why UConn doesn't play Rutgers or Maryland in the regular season.
I believe Penders mentioned that UConn & Rutgers will play a series next season (? @ Elliot).

Chris Jones said during some regular season game broadcasts that Rutgers is on UConn baseball's schedule for next season. I believe he said it would be a weekend series in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Man it kills to see it but I get it in this Wild West of college sports we live in. Hope he gets drafted and gets all sorts of cash thrown at him cuz orange looks terrible and quite unflattering on him ;)

Reaction Score
from what I have seen he is projected to go high in the draft and probably will never play there at all
You are likely correct, but I heard his asking price is crazy high, so it wouldn't shock me if he suits up for the Vols. FWIW, this is all being driven by his advisor. I know the coaching staff at UConn spoke with Reggie when he was thinking about the portal and highlighted the opportunities here at UConn with the D'Amelio NIL. So he decided not to go through with the portal after that conversation, only to go back to his advisor who told him he pretty much had to if he wanted to get his price. Sadly, this is something we're going to have to get used to. From this point forward, every time a freshman and sophomore blows up in Storrs, they will do exactly what Reggie did.

If we can do anything to help our beloved university, it's to start contacting those we know who have money to spare and ask them to create opportunities for our athletes. Hell, if I was Governor, I'd make life so difficult for ESPN unless they helped UConn in this new environment. They have way too much invested here to pull out.

Reaction Score
MLB draft takes place this year July 17 through 19. Be interesting to see where Reggie Crawford winds up.

Reaction Score
You are likely correct, but I heard his asking price is crazy high, so it wouldn't shock me if he suits up for the Vols. FWIW, this is all being driven by his advisor. I know the coaching staff at UConn spoke with Reggie when he was thinking about the portal and highlighted the opportunities here at UConn with the D'Amelio NIL. So he decided not to go through with the portal after that conversation, only to go back to his advisor who told him he pretty much had to if he wanted to get his price. Sadly, this is something we're going to have to get used to. From this point forward, every time a freshman and sophomore blows up in Storrs, they will do exactly what Reggie did.

If we can do anything to help our beloved university, it's to start contacting those we know who have money to spare and ask them to create opportunities for our athletes. Hell, if I was Governor, I'd make life so difficult for ESPN unless they helped UConn in this new environment. They have way too much invested here to pull out.
I think you're wildly overreacting to 1 transfer, and a transfer who's not even going to actually play for his new school at that

Reaction Score
I hope Reggie gets drafted early on so he never plays for them, but it’s a sickening reality that our baseball team could become a feeder program to the SEC.

Reaction Score
I wish I was. But I'm not. You don't have to take my word for it, though.
Trust me, I'm not taking your word for it. You've made it clear you don't know what you're talking about

Reaction Score
Part of me gets going to Tennessee, but to me if he does play another year in college why would you not blow up at Uconn. It would seemingly give you more notoriety, especially if he led a northern team to CWS in a sport dominated by southern teams. I guess it’s a straight on cash play at this point.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
....will only make winning the Knoxville Super Regional in 2023 to clinch our CWS birth all the sweeter! :D

Reaction Score
Very bizarre story and situation. If this is about leverage for negotiating with whomever drafts him, and he never makes it to Knoxville, fine. Bizarre but who cares. If he suits up for the Vols, I will be annoyed.

If he suits up for the Vols, the moral for Penders is he should have pulled his scholarship dollars for the spring semester since the guy would never play for us again. Which, with all my being, is not supposed to be how college sports works.

If he just put himself out to the highest NIL bidder, I get it and I won’t beat up on Crawford and his team, but it just means college sports can’t survive under these rules and have anybody care about it. And no, I’m not being hypocritical because a Casey Dana or Enzo coming to UConn to win is very different than if they came here for NIL dollars (which to my knowledge they did not).

Reaction Score
Part of me gets going to Tennessee, but to me if he does play another year in college why would you not blow up at Uconn. It would seemingly give you more notoriety, especially if he led a northern team to CWS in a sport dominated by southern teams. I guess it’s a straight on cash play at this point.
It would get more notoriety in UConn’s world, but in terms of national notoriety there is no comparison. The story was already on Nashville talk radio and is getting some coverage in other SEC markets. College football, baseball and college sports in general are just so much more part daily life in SEC country.

Reaction Score
Very bizarre story and situation. If this is about leverage for negotiating with whomever drafts him, and he never makes it to Knoxville, fine. Bizarre but who cares. If he suits up for the Vols, I will be annoyed.

If he suits up for the Vols, the moral for Penders is he should have pulled his scholarship dollars for the spring semester since the guy would never play for us again. Which, with all my being, is not supposed to be how college sports works.

If he just put himself out to the highest NIL bidder, I get it and I won’t beat up on Crawford and his team, but it just means college sports can’t survive under these rules and have anybody care about it. And no, I’m not being hypocritical because a Casey Dana or Enzo coming to UConn to win is very different than if they came here for NIL dollars (which to my knowledge they did not).
Very well said.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom