Men - UConn Baseball 2024 | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2024

Reaction Score
This article suggests that Gabe Van Emon, Jack Sullivan, and Tom Ellisen are probably the leading candidates to be midweek starters. However, it is very possible that Van Emon could replace Ian Cooke in the weekend starting rotation. I would think if that happens that Cooke could become a big guy out of the bullpen. I would think that in addition to Sullivan and Ellisen, that Braden Quinn is also a possible candidate to to be a midweek starter.

After this weekend UConn starts playing midweek games, so we will soon see who will be the starting pitchers in these midweek games.

Reaction Score
Big East Baseball (expanded standings as of 3/11/24)

1710163591672.jpeg

Reaction Score

-> – CONNECTICUT

What Happened:
Lost all three games at UC Santa Barbara

Why It Hurts: They’re pressing too hard.

During Sunday’s game at Caesar Uyesaka Stadium I talked briefly with a bud of mine that I’ve known for a number of years in UConn Director of Baseball Chris Jones. The first thing he said to me was, “It’s like every one on this team is just pressing so hard.” And I could see that. This looks like a team that just seems to be trying too hard, wanting to turn everything into a six-run home run and striking out five batters an inning. More on the Huskies below. <-

->WHAT I SAW IN SANTA BARBARA ON SUNDAY:

Continuing what I wrote above about the Huskies, I gotta say, I defy anyone out there to show me a tougher schedule than the Huskies have played. It has been insane, ranked as the sixth-toughest slate in the country so far. But yet, here we are with the Huskies sitting at 3-9. Still, this weekend was particularly painful for the Boys from Storrs, dropping blowout losses on Friday and Sunday by scores of 13-3 and 12-1. On Saturday, the Huskies were holding a 3-1 lead in the eighth inning but three relievers couldn’t hold that lead, giving up two runs in the eighth and the winning run in the ninth. And by the way, that winning run was scored on a bases-loaded walk. Ugh.

On Sunday, it wasn’t such a close game as the Gauchos plated four runs in the opening frame – three of them coming from a three-run dinger from Nick Oakley – and they never looked back. Jonah Sebring and Brendan Dufree added solo shot homers in the fifth inning and leadoff man Reiss Calvin added a three-run bomb in the seventh inning to make this one academic.

Not to be overlooked, right-hander Ryan Gallagher shone brightly for the Gauchos, throwing 7.0 innings of three-hit ball, allowing one run and one walk while striking out seven Husky batters. This was a really good sign for the Gauchos since Gallagher was a Freshman All American in 2022 but sat out 2023 recovering from one of those awful TJ injuries. In the fall I saw Gallagher get pelted by LMU’s batting order and I wondered if he was fully back and ready for D1-level baseball once again. Today I got my answer. Gallagher was very sharp, working his low-to-mid 90s speedball and his changeup was jacking-up the Husky bats throughout all seven innings.

The Huskies will right the ship, I’m confident of that. This is kind of typical of Snow Belt teams who really test themselves early in the season and head coach Jim Penders has been through this kind of stuff a million times. They will travel down to SoCal this week playing mid-week games at UCLA and UC Irvine and then a three-gamer at Cal Baptist next weekend. <-

Reaction Score
@Omahabound (Re: your comments in closed thread) I posted the proposed lineup on February 17 (because I didn't like the opening weekend lineup) and now I compare it to last night's lineup. We're pretty much there now. Dalena is on the bench and Malcom in, but if Malcom was playing then I would have had him in Dalena's spot. It's taken almost a month but Penders has seen the light and the lineup is in a good place. Very close to optimal right now. Spots 7-9 can fiddle with and ride the hot hand. 1-6 should be firm. Now starting to produce some runs and win games. Let's see this weekend.

MM Feb 17
Daniels (Agreed)
Tammaro (Agreed)
Studley (Agreed)
Broadhurst (Agreed)
Dalena (Bench/Malcom)
Morton (5th)
3B (Agreed)
CF (9th)
Garbo (Bench)

Reaction Score
@Omahabound (Re: your comments in closed thread) I posted the proposed lineup on February 17 (because I didn't like the opening weekend lineup) and now I compare it to last night's lineup. We're pretty much there now. Dalena is on the bench and Malcom in, but if Malcom was playing then I would have had him in Dalena's spot. It's taken almost a month but Penders has seen the light and the lineup is in a good place. Very close to optimal right now. Spots 7-9 can fiddle with and ride the hot hand. 1-6 should be firm. Now starting to produce some runs and win games. Let's see this weekend.

MM Feb 17
Daniels (Agreed)
Tammaro (Agreed)
Studley (Agreed)
Broadhurst (Agreed)
Dalena (Bench/Malcom)
Morton (5th)
3B (Agreed)
CF (9th)
Garbo (Bench)
Yea, it’s been a work in progress but it seems like the lineup/pitching staff are getting sorted out. I agree the bottom third of the order will continue to be a (hot hand) approach unless any one player takes it and I don’t see how Malcolm can come out of the lineup. Series win this weekend and it’ll have been a real successful trip.

Looking ahead to 25’ the pitching staff seems to be in a good place should all those eligible, return. Quinn Van Emon Ellison Cooke Aftim Schild to name a few. The lineup could be a problem.

Reaction Score
Are seasonal stats updated on UConn’s site sporadically? Thru 3/6 is all that is listed

Reaction Score
Are seasonal stats updated on UConn’s site sporadically? Thru 3/6 is all that is listed
Just guessing DBO Chris Jones is overloaded…

I've noticed this before, it seems that the date you mentioned doesn't always get updated when the stats are updated. The current date on the UConn baseball website may say 3/6, but if you look at the actual stats, it shows that 14 games have been played, so the actual stats are up to date.

Reaction Score
I've noticed this before, it seems that the date you mentioned doesn't always get updated when the stats are updated. The current date on the UConn baseball website may say 3/6, but if you look at the actual stats, it shows that 14 games have been played, so the actual stats are up to date.
That wasn’t the case a few days ago

Reaction Score
That wasn’t the case a few days ago

I have noticed in the past that it sometimes takes a day or 2 after a game for the stats to be updated. Other wise, they are usually up to date.

Reaction Score
Daniels leading the team in rbi’s, is he most effective leading off still? 3rd in HR. It’s early, but there’s not a lot of overall consistent production to ignore this. Does anybody else think he should be moved down in the order. Whatever has worked the past 2 games why mess with, I understand, but I don’t think daniels numbers are an aberration

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned on the Cal Baptist thread that it seems the Huskies are being thrown out trying to steal more often than last year. I thought so, too. I checked the latest stats (it says "through March 6, but I believe they are actually up to date, since Coe is listed as 3-3 with a 4.55 ERA, the same numbers as the box score showed after last night's game). The Huskies are 21 for 27 in SBA's this year (78% success rate). Last year the numbers were marginally better - 122/147 (83%). If one of this year's "caught stealing" had been successful, the rates would have been pretty similar - 81.4% this year, versus 82.9% last year. Pickoffs might be another matter - 6 already this year (16 games) versus 12 all of last season (61 games). That extrapolates to about two dozen over 61 games. That could be a big problem. There's aggressive and then there is reckless. Not sure how one might figure the number of outs created by being thrown out on the bases trying to advance on an out. That seems high, too, but that might just be a result of "Pendersball."

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned on the Cal Baptist thread that it seems the Huskies are being thrown out trying to steal more often than last year. I thought so, too. I checked the latest stats (it says "through March 6, but I believe they are actually up to date, since Coe is listed as 3-3 with a 4.55 ERA, the same numbers as the box score showed after last night's game). The Huskies are 21 for 27 in SBA's this year (78% success rate). Last year the numbers were marginally better - 122/147 (83%). If one of this year's "caught stealing" had been successful, the rates would have been pretty similar - 81.4% this year, versus 82.9% last year. Pickoffs might be another matter - 6 already this year (16 games) versus 12 all of last season (61 games). That extrapolates to about two dozen over 61 games. That could be a big problem. There's aggressive and then there is reckless. Not sure how one might figure the number of outs created by being thrown out on the bases trying to advance on an out. That seems high, too, but that might just be a result of "Pendersball."
The % are somewhat similar (78% vs 83% is a dropoff) but what’s critical is who is getting thrown out. Daniels, Tammaro and even Kron. The speedsters aren’t as successful. My first reaction is they need to be a bit more selective/deceptive on steal attempts. Lot of first pitch attempts and today these teams scout well and are prepared. The cs and pickoffs killed alot of innings. Also schedule is tougher (so far) and presumably you’re facing better catchers. Let’s see what happens but would like to see them exhibit a bit more patience on attempts.

Reaction Score
Current UConn Stats through 22 games:
View attachment 98200

Paul Tammaro has been thrown out several times on the bases with pickoffs and other outs, but at the same time he is leading the team in both on base percentage and runs scored, in addition to being second on the team in batting average. He also has one of the better slugging percentages on the team. If he keeps these positive things up, I don't expect he will be pulled from the lineup.

Reaction Score
As has been mentioned on these threads this season, the UConn offense has been having plenty of problems since the beginning of the season. There is one area where it is now doing okay, the offense is drawing a fair number of walks. I have always held to the thought that if a batter draws more than 10% of walks versus his total number of official at bats (which do not include walks or hit by pitches), he is doing okay in this area. I think the the UConn offense is doing well in this area, but they just haven't been producing enough hits or advance enough baserunners to move more runners across home plate. Obviously they have improve quite a bit in this area if they are to produce more runs during games.

Reaction Score
Considering both Van Emon and Coe pitched in the game today against Northeastern, it would not surprise me if S. Quigley is the starting pitcher in the game on Monday, considering UConn baseball has no games to be played this Easter weekend.

Reaction Score

Gotta win the BE. Whatever comes of the season, u can’t change ur roster now anyways…I think the yearly grad transfer influx while developing talent with “potential “ of elite play, in time, is showing its flaws and unsustainable path. Either high end HS recruiting or rosters being built by grad transfers and portal with a few projects in the program ( Im not saying “projects” as a slight) would be needed. As the term has been referred to on The Boneyard, Pendersball can’t really be played correctly with 1 year guys who most likely are not being taught “old school baseball” growing up. The talent is not at the levels to get around that, and if it is, it doesn’t mesh quickly enough with the constant yearly overhaul within the roster. I just don’t think you can take a 22 yr old with a lot of varying college baseball experience and mix them with developmental 18 yr olds with no college experience. Not unless they are ready to get on the field immediately without the learning curve negatively weighing down the team. The frosh will develop into productive players but not at the right time. The 22’ team and how that came together is not realistic to think it can happen regularly. It was a special team for Uconn. Those are difficult to put together because the margin for error/injury/transfer/pro etc etc exist. I’m venting some fandom, that’s all

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom