UConn Baseball 2021 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2021

Reaction Score
O.K., while he came out of the blue Krauth was beyond dominant for four weekends. You can try to replace him by everyone else on the staff being somewhat better, but there shouldn't be pretending that this isn't a HUGE loss. Given how unknown he was before giving us one good month, I'm somewhat surprised but good for him.

It puts more emphasis on hoping Casparius comes back, because otherwise we're a long way from having a Friday night lights #1 on the roster.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Just dreaming - if we had Krauth, Casparius and Willis for next year and then all the returning and new arms, mamma mia.

Reaction Score
O.K., while he came out of the blue Krauth was beyond dominant for four weekends. You can try to replace him by everyone else on the staff being somewhat better, but there shouldn't be pretending that this isn't a HUGE loss. Given how unknown he was before giving us one good month, I'm somewhat surprised but good for him.

It puts more emphasis on hoping Casparius comes back, because otherwise we're a long way from having a Friday night lights #1 on the roster.

Who's pretending? Krauth was a terrific Junior pitcher for UConn, and now he is gone to the pro game. That's what happens in college baseball. And yes, he did come out of the blue. When you have quality and quantity to your pitching depth, that sort of thing can happen. Just got to hope it keeps on happening and that the coaching staff continues developing pitchers that they currently have on the staff as well as the newcomers who will arrive in Storrs this fall.

It certainly would be easier to have Casparius around Storrs and the new ballpark in the fall, but that is his decision to make. It's always great to be able to pencil in someone of his ability into a starting pitching position. If not, the team will have to move on and adjust, and I'm confident in the team's ability to do just that. UConn could be turning to the likes of Jimmy Wang and Patrick Gallagher for the weekend rotation next season. The coaching staff sounded very high on both these guys in interviews following the truncated season for possible weekend starters next season. Wang very well could have been a weekend starter if it weren't for his injury and illness at the beginning of the last season. At any rate, we'll see how it all goes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As for Kenny Haus, he was not listed as graduating, and he is currently not listed by D1Baseball.com as transferring from UConn. I'd like to think he may be back in Storrs in the fall, but like everything else, we'll see on that one.

Fishing...

Reaction Score
This is huge! This team is going to be great!! Going to be very successful in the Big East for years to come!

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here<<

>> And Casparius, a two-way player who will be mostly concentrating on pitching, will be returning to a team that should be loaded. Casparius was at the driving range with Orange’s Pat and Chris Winkel recently, and he noted that Chris Winkel intends to return as a fifth-year senior (something all senior athletes are allowed to do after the 2020 season was wiped out by COVID-19).

With the Winkel brothers, the Fedko brothers (Christian and Kyler), rising sophomore stud Reggie Crawford and others coming back, Casparius believes the Huskies are good enough to reach that elusive College World Series in Omaha next spring.<<

Reaction Score
A big wow indeed. Coach Penders has really been talking Casparius up, so this will certainly raise expectations. If you go by the interviews earlier this year, the coaching staff is high on Jimmy Wang's potential as well. Having Chris Winkel and Christian Fedko back as well would just add to all this very nicely.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
A big wow indeed. Coach Penders has really been talking Casparius up, so this will certainly raise expectations. If you go by the interviews earlier this year, the coaching staff is high on Jimmy Wang's potential as well. Having Chris Winkel and Christian Fedko back as well would just add to all this very nicely.

If Wang is as good as the coaches suggest, then we only need one more starter. Dunlop and Simeone redemption tour, or will one of our blue chip pitchers (Ziegler, Siravo) break the rotation as a freshman?

Reaction Score
If he is our #1 starter, the team is stacked. With the caveat that, with an extra year of eligibility available, a lot of teams will be better than usual.

A rotation of Casparius, then Wang, Simeone, Dunlop, Gallagher, and the true frosh. A bullpen lead by Cody, Willis, and if he's back Haus. A lineup that includes both Winkels, both Fedkos, Crawford, and Stock. Wow.

A team is very different if it has a good #1 starter than if it doesn't. This is huge.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If he is our #1 starter, the team is stacked. With the caveat that, with an extra year of eligibility available, a lot of teams will be better than usual.

A rotation of Casparius, then Wang, Simeone, Dunlop, Gallagher, and the true frosh. A bullpen lead by Cody, Willis, and if he's back Haus. A lineup that includes both Winkels, both Fedkos, Crawford, and Stock. Wow.

A team is very different if it has a good #1 starter than if it doesn't. This is huge.
Haus signed with the Rangers about 10 days ago. Don't forget about Caleb Wurster as the closer.

Reaction Score
Where did u see that Haus signed with the Rangers? I didn’t know he signed

Reaction Score
David Langer tweeted a Gif about Casparius coming back... Uconnbsb retweeted it
does that mean he’s coming back?

Reaction Score
If Wang is as good as the coaches suggest, then we only need one more starter. Dunlop and Simeone redemption tour, or will one of our blue chip pitchers (Ziegler, Siravo) break the rotation as a freshman?

After the end of the shortened season, there was an article on the UConn athletics website in which Coach MacDonald said that Pat Gallagher was a candidate to be a weekend starter next season. Don't know if the return of Casparius changes that or not, but it is clear that Gallagher impressed the coaching staff. Gallagher did very well in what was essentially a long relief role for the Huskies during the truncated season. Also, during the 2019 summer ball season, Gallagher had a few starts as well. UConn does look like it has a bunch of good candidates on the pitching staff for starting pitcher roles for next season.

My early guess for the weekend rotation would be Casparius, Wang, and Simeone, but obviously we'll see what happens during fall ball to potentially change that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My early guess for the weekday starter roles would be Pat Gallagher and either Ziegler or Siravo. I have always tended to view the weekday starter role as a developmental stepping stone to bigger things in the future. To me, it makes more sense for a younger player to fill this role than a senior.Gallagher has shown he can do the job in long relief, and weekday starters tend to get used that way on the weekends as well. I guess that would leave Colby Dunlop in a long relief role looking to fill in as a starter as needed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Personally, I think Ziegler is going to be a stud and it would be smart not to bruh him out so to speak so early in his career. Ziegler has the potential to be a Friday night starter his sophomore or JR szn

Reaction Score
Unexpected good news. I assumed he was as good as gone after Amore's article

Reaction Score
Unexpected good news. I assumed he was as good as gone after Amore's article

Assuming Casparius is as good as advertised, I don't think this is a bad gamble for him. He wasn't going to get much if any bonus money going pro this season. If he performs as expected pitching for the Huskies, Casparius potentially has a nice bonus check coming from next season's draft. Of course, he could get hurt, but he could get hurt in the pros as well.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think Ziegler is going to be a stud and it would be smart not to bruh him out so to speak so early in his career. Ziegler has the potential to be a Friday night starter his sophomore or JR szn

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if Calvin Ziegler eventually ends up as a Friday starter. I suspect that the UConn coaching staff is quite high on the potential of both Ziegler and Adrian Siravo. While my initial thinking is that Ziegler may get some weekday starts at the beginning of his career, you just never know about these things. In the past Coach Penders has definitely shown a tendency with freshman pitchers with high potential to get them established in key roles quickly, and that is most certainly true with weekend starters. From recent years we have the examples of Anthony Kay, Tim Cate, and Mason Feole to look at. Of course, it didn't work out so well with Ronnie Rossomando, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Reaction Score
Casparius is great news, but I wouldn't count on Ziegler. Rumor is that he may not be coming.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom