UConn Baseball 2021 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2021

Reaction Score
Pat Winkel will be ready.

Ran into Pat a few weeks ago. He was excited to get started with his rehab. He is in great hands at Competitive Edge. Jim Ronai is one of the best physical therapists/trainers in the country. Ronai has worked with US Olympic teams and most recently was the head trainer for Team USA Baseball. His son Brian is a senior baseball player at Yale. Jim does a lot for Amity Baseball as well as the Bethany, Orange, and Woodbridge communities.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This would seem to indicate that Chris Winkel and Anthony Nucerino won't be with the team next season, along with David Langer and Conor Moriarty.

Reaction Score

Paul Gozzo, Cole Brodnanksy, and Michael Chiovitti get their congrats as well.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Damn, losing Nuc hurts our depth. He would start for most teams.

All four of them were great huskies.

Edit: make that 7 of them!

Reaction Score

Paul Gozzo, Cole Brodnanksy, and Michael Chiovitti get their congrats as well.

No mention of Randy Polonia and Kenny Haus. That has to make you wonder if they might be back for next season.

Reaction Score
Damn, losing Nuc hurts our depth. He would start for most teams.

All four of them were great huskies.

Edit: make that 7 of them!

I was kind of figuring that Chris Winkel would be back next season. Inviting him, Nucerino, and others back for Alumni Day would seem to indicate otherwise. I wonder if Winkel might be getting any nibbles at a pro career. I doubt he would be drafted, but a team might sign him and his tremendous athleticism to a no bonus deal and see if the experiment works out.

Center Fielder for next year's team? Coaches had mentioned Kyler Fedko as a possibility in at least one interview during the truncated season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just because players are getting a diploma doesn’t mean they won’t be back. Last time I checked UCONN has graduate school programs. And if players do come back they will still be at the alumni game.

Reaction Score
Just because players are getting a diploma doesn’t mean they won’t be back. Last time I checked UCONN has graduate school programs. And if players do come back they will still be at the alumni game.
True but the wording in the tweet seems to suggest they are done. "left the program better then you found it" and "celebrating you at alumni day". Bummed because I had expected Winkel to return.

Reaction Score
As justfacts indicated, graduating doesn't mean players won;t be back for a 5th year working toward a masters or certification. I expect at least a few to be back.

Reaction Score
True but the wording in the tweet seems to suggest they are done. "left the program better then you found it" and "celebrating you at alumni day". Bummed because I had expected Winkel to return.

"Left the program better then you found it" to me is more the key phrase, as the implication is that the graduating players are gone. It is my interpretation, eventually we will see if it is correct. It is possible that all the graduates were lumped together under this phrasing, whether or not someone like Winkel might be coming back.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Chris Winkel is looking to return and is applying to grad school!!!!

That would make sense, Chris Winkel would have to be accepted into a UConn grad school before he would be able to rejoin the team. While nothing is set, it sounds good.

Reaction Score
No mention of Randy Polonia and Kenny Haus. That has to make you wonder if they might be back for next season.

Meanwhile, I've been pondering about Randy Polonia, who just completed his fifth year at UConn. I do not know for sure, but perhaps Polonia got his undergraduate degree sometime prior to the May commencement. He might already be in graduate school at UConn while playing for the team.

As for Kenny Haus, he was not listed as graduating, and he is currently not listed by D1Baseball.com as transferring from UConn. I'd like to think he may be back in Storrs in the fall, but like everything else, we'll see on that one.

Reaction Score
I personally would love to see Haus back. Would be much needed depth at starting pitcher which is huge come tourney time

Reaction Score

So the fall ball roster does not have to be cut down for the spring roster. so there won't be the "fun" of studying the fall roster and trying to figure out who might get cut and who might make the team. Still, there would still be the possibility of players leaving a team during or after fall ball after figuring out their place in the totem pole, so to speak.

From the above story:

>The two things to watch moving forward are the 32 counters and 25% scholarship minimum. The unlimited roster makes sense right now because we’re in unprecedented times. Some programs will have a load of seniors and juniors coming back, while also welcoming more freshmen than usual because of the limited, five-round MLB draft. There’s just no way for some programs to stay at a 35-man roster in 2021. The unlimited roster will certainly go back to normal in the fall of 2021. However, sources tell us that there’s momentum for permanently keeping the 32-player counters and getting rid of the 25% scholarship minimum moving forward after 2021. The ability to spread the wealth, so to speak, to 32 different players would be a win for college baseball. Stay tuned on both of those.<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow, kinda surprised with that signing but always wish Uconn athletes the best!! Wish he would comeback but going pro is a big deal!

Reaction Score
Even with Nick Krauth leaving for the pros, it still looks to me that potentially UConn has quite a bit of depth to its pitching staff. In the 4+ weeks of the season we saw, it appeared that the Husky pitching staff had a goodly number of arms that could be counted on. Of course, we have to see who else from UConn may decide to go pro. But there were pitchers who are well regarded (Justin Willis comes to mind, not to mention the much more publicized Ben Casparius who has his own big decision to make) that did not get to pitch at all or had much of a chance to contribute or to develop. Plus, the Huskies of a bunch of pitching recruits coming in, led by the highly regarded Adrian Siravo and Calvin Ziegler. While I would have loved to see Nick Krauth over the course of a full season, I suspect that there is a goodly quality and quantity to the talent on the UConn pitching staff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom