UConn Baseball 2020 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2020

Reaction Score
3rd place yet only 1 all-conference player?

Wonder when the voting was and if Pat Winkel being out for year made a difference.

UConn came within 5 votes of second place Houston despite getting no first place votes. That plus getting one all conference player (Pat Winkel may have been another if healthy) serves as an illustration of the potential of this team that Coach Penders gave as a one word description of UConn baseball in a fall interview with UCTV. If players develop and some freshmen come through and contribute, UConn can have a very good team.

As for the ACC, the voting pretty much shows that it looks like that there are three tiers to the league, with ECU, Houston, and Uconn in the top tier, and with Tulane, UCF, and Cincinnati tightly bunched in the middle of the pack. The AAC is usually good for at least three NCAA tourney bids, so that would seem to bode well for the Huskies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Can't wait for this last go around of AAC baseball - it's been a really good league for UConn
The NBE - meh
Well, enjoy it while we can

Reaction Score
Does this weather have anyone else dreaming of baseball season? Opening day February 14!!!

I have to admit that I'd be dreaming of UConn baseball opening day if it were a raging blizzard outside, but then again I'm a bit of a hardcore nutcase who is lacking a few marbles. Also have to admit that thoughts of UConn baseball opening day cross my mind during the summer and fall months as well (especially after the Alumni Day game in late September). Once we get by the Christmas rush, at this time of year I start pining for Chris Jones interviews with the players and the coaching staff. That's it, I'll just blame this odd disease of mine on Chris Jones!

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I have to admit that I'd be dreaming of UConn baseball opening day if it were a raging blizzard outside, but then again I'm a bit of a hardcore nutcase who is lacking a few marbles. Also have to admit that thoughts of UConn baseball opening day cross my mind during the summer and fall months as well (especially after the Alumni Day game in late September). Once we get by the Christmas rush, at this time of year I start pining for Chris Jones interviews with the players and the coaching staff. That's it, I'll just blame this odd disease of mine on Chris Jones!

You are very eccentric, but so is most of this board so it goes unnoticed :)

Reaction Score
Does this weather have anyone else dreaming of baseball season? Opening day February 14!!!

My boys have travel baseball tryouts (indoors) tonight (10U) and next Saturday (13U) and I was outside today on the local diamond in a t-shirt throwing BP and hitting grounders to them completely comfortable in North Jersey.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing this is the first time ever tickets will be sold for a UConn baseball game in Storrs.

$80 for 18 games -> ($117 after all fees - $6.50 a game all in).

I think i paid $10 a game alone for the two games I got to @ DDP.

Wonder if berm seating will be free?

Reaction Score

One would expect that with students back in school, preseason news and interviews with the players and coaches to pick up. Bring on Chris Jones and his videos, plus his microphone!

Reaction Score
I’ve been talking UCONN v Vanderbilt for a month with my favorite Orthopedic doctor - Dr Spencer

Reaction Score

One would expect that with students back in school, preseason news and interviews with the players and coaches to pick up. Bring on Chris Jones and his videos, plus his microphone!

Chris Jones may be busy until opening day. I saw part of a Vermont home game on ESPN plus a few weeks ago, and I'm fairly certain it was his voice doing the play by play (although I didn't stay with the game long enough to hear the announcers use their names).

Reaction Score
Chris Jones may be busy until opening day. I saw part of a Vermont home game on ESPN plus a few weeks ago, and I'm fairly certain it was his voice doing the play by play (although I didn't stay with the game long enough to hear the announcers use their names).

Different announcers are being used for internet and television broadcasts. For instance, Adam Giardino did play by play for the NESN broadcast of the Maine game in Bridgeport, and Chris Jones happened to do an in studio between period interview for that game. I kind of think Jones is just pitching in and helping out before the baseball preseason starts in earnest. Anyway, considering UConn has only one home game before the start of the the UConn baseball game on February 14 (I suspect SNY will be using their own announcers for the coming weekend tourney in Bridgeport), I doubt this will really impact the preseason baseball interviews that he usually conducts.

Reaction Score
Different announcers are being used for internet and television broadcasts. For instance, Adam Giardino did play by play for the NESN broadcast of the Maine game in Bridgeport, and Chris Jones happened to do an in studio between period interview for that game. I kind of think Jones is just pitching in and helping out before the baseball preseason starts in earnest. Anyway, considering UConn has only one home game before the start of the the UConn baseball game on February 14 (I suspect SNY will be using their own announcers for the coming weekend tourney in Bridgeport), I doubt this will really impact the preseason baseball interviews that he usually conducts.

Sorry. I wasn't clear. The game on which I thought I heard him was a George Washington at Vermont basketball game on ESPN plus on New Year's eve day.

Reaction Score
Sorry. I wasn't clear. The game on which I thought I heard him was a George Washington at Vermont basketball game on ESPN plus on New Year's eve day.

Considering that Chris Jones is the SID for UConn baseball, I fully expect that we will be seeing the usual interviews that he conducts in the preseason.

Reaction Score
Considering that Chris Jones is the SID for UConn baseball, I fully expect that we will be seeing the usual interviews that he conducts in the preseason.
If past seasons are any indication the interviews will be out 1-2 weeks before the first game

Reaction Score
If past seasons are any indication the interviews will be out 1-2 weeks before the first game

Interviews with players usually start up as soon as team practices start. I'm thinking that could be very soon, perhaps in the next few days.

Edit: Just did a quick check. Last year the first player interview at practice was posted in these threads on January 29.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A few questions for the group. Does anyone know when they usually post the roster? Are all the players who transferred this year eligible (vandy, NC, Old Dom)? And is there anyway I can get an official hook C baseball hat, like where can I buy one (if possible)?
Thanks

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom