UConn Baseball 2020 | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2020

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Another thing to think about - with baseball, 11.7 scholarships over 25 guys, and then 10 guys with no assistance mean most are footing all or a large portion of the tuition each year. Simply giving them another year might not even be doable financially for the student athlete and their family.
True, but another year for a guy who's riding the pine or getting an inning or so during midweek games is probably not worth another full year of academics, offseason workouts etc. Starters would be more likely to consider (if they're not looking to go pro).

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
When this thing is over, IMO it will be less than 4 weeks, why not let these teams play "exhibition" games or tournaments?
That way the fans and the student athletes will be able to garner some enjoyment after this craziness

Reaction Score
I am going to take a trip shortly to Elliott Park- I must see the park and sit in a seat!

Wipe the seat down afterwards please ;)

Funny, before all the virus stuff really broke, my wife had been talking about taking a sight seeing visit to the new ballpark, possibly doing it either before or after a women's basketball game or a lunch in the area. We never got around to it, but the thought was resurfacing in my mind considering a lot of sports and other entertainment options are out the window for now.

Reaction Score
Another thing to think about - with baseball, 11.7 scholarships over 25 guys, and then 10 guys with no assistance mean most are footing all or a large portion of the tuition each year. Simply giving them another year might not even be doable financially for the student athlete and their family.

I think in baseball up to 27 players can receive scholarship money.

Reaction Score
When this thing is over, IMO it will be less than 4 weeks, why not let these teams play "exhibition" games or tournaments?
That way the fans and the student athletes will be able to garner some enjoyment after this craziness

Reaction Score

>>“Jeff Hourigan was just talking about it,” Penders said of his associate head coach. “He said, ‘Since I was 18, I’ve only known this cycle.’ In March, we’ve been on buses every single weekend since I don’t know. But somebody has it worse. You know in your community, or back home, somebody has it worse than you do.”<<

>>“Until we know for certain what’s happening, we have to be prepared to compete,” he said. “But if the situation doesn’t improve quickly, we’re also preparing for the worst, that the season could be canceled. Then we’d do a meeting with each guy. They may have to be FaceTime meetings, but we’ll figure out a way to help them with whatever’s next, whether that be graduation, the draft, returning for an additional year.”<<

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If Chris can get into grad school he could have that last year with his brother!!

Reaction Score

>>“Jeff Hourigan was just talking about it,” Penders said of his associate head coach. “He said, ‘Since I was 18, I’ve only known this cycle.’ In March, we’ve been on buses every single weekend since I don’t know. But somebody has it worse. You know in your community, or back home, somebody has it worse than you do.”<<

>>“Until we know for certain what’s happening, we have to be prepared to compete,” he said. “But if the situation doesn’t improve quickly, we’re also preparing for the worst, that the season could be canceled. Then we’d do a meeting with each guy. They may have to be FaceTime meetings, but we’ll figure out a way to help them with whatever’s next, whether that be graduation, the draft, returning for an additional year.”<<

UConn has two coaches who almost always give great and thoughtful interviews on many subjects, Jim Penders and Geno. It is never a waste of time to read any of their stuff.

Reaction Score
I immediately think the alumni game that is regularly held in September.

I was thinking the same thing. Only potential fly in the ointment would be MLB schedule conflict for the “big boys”.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. Only potential fly in the ointment would be MLB schedule conflict for the “big boys”.

Minor league schedule would probably be over. Willy Yahn has been pretty regular to this event.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom