UConn Baseball 2019 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2019

Reaction Score
I think he underrates our guys a little bit but in doing so what a compliment to Penders and the staff. I think we all can agree we are very lucky to have Penders. From what I know an incredible person off the field too. Total package.

Reaction Score
In a nutshell, and adding detail to a thought from the weekend thread, here are the most important numbers from our 5-5 start.

In games where Kersten and Feole start, we are 4-0 and have given up 3.5 runs a game (not earned runs -- runs).

In games where anyone else starts, we are 1-5 and have given up 8.0 runs per game.

Speaks for itself. We can sneak into the NCAAs, and stay in contention in the AAC, riding two outstanding starters. Winning our conference regular season, getting a high seed in the NCAAs and going somewhere in either post-season tourney requires much better depth from our staff.

Reaction Score
In a nutshell, and adding detail to a thought from the weekend thread, here are the most important numbers from our 5-5 start.

In games where Kersten and Feole start, we are 4-0 and have given up 3.5 runs a game (not earned runs -- runs).

In games where anyone else starts, we are 1-5 and have given up 8.0 runs per game.

Speaks for itself. We can sneak into the NCAAs, and stay in contention in the AAC, riding two outstanding starters. Winning our conference regular season, getting a high seed in the NCAAs and going somewhere in either post-season tourney requires much better depth from our staff.
Dunlop will be the number 2 starter ahead of Kersten by the end of the season. I like Kersten but think he will struggle to have quality starts once the AAC season begins and batters are in mid season form. I am interested to see who the midweek starters will be, I am thinking Simeone and Johnson or maybe one of the true freshman.

Reaction Score
Dunlop will be the number 2 starter ahead of Kersten by the end of the season. I like Kersten but think he will struggle to have quality starts once the AAC season begins and batters are in mid season form. I am interested to see who the midweek starters will be, I am thinking Simeone and Johnson or maybe one of the true freshman.

Before the season started I had thoughts that Kersten would struggle against very good teams, since that is what happened last season. However, I was quite impressed with how he handled his first three starts. Considering that UConn has so far played the 2nd toughest non conference schedule to date in the country, Kersten has quickly won me over.

I agree that we have not heard the last of Colby Dunlop as a starter, but wouldn't go as far as declaring he will be ahead of Kersten by the end of the season. Dunlop still has to go through a Wills Montgomerie like transformation to get there, and that could take a little time.

Reaction Score
I hope your right about Kersten, I think the first 4 weeks are like spring training for the batters. Has anyone seen the freshman throw ?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Kersten is a senior - I expect him to keep battling and eat innings. Dunlop might have a higher upside but right now, he is not missing bats. And that was a problem last year as well. I like Simeone, and I still think Haus or Johnson could help. If Chase Gardner keeps having troubles out in the pen throwing strikes, he might become a mid week option in my estimation.

Reaction Score
If moose can’t throw strikes he is gonna be the next Andrew zapata whom much was expected based on early returns but barely contributed back end of career.

Reaction Score

Along with the obvious problem at third base, Chris Winkel has not exactly been tearing the cover off the ball when he is at bat. He is currently hitting .218. Also doesn't help that Winkel has taken only 1 walk in four weekends of play. Also, getting Phillips time in the infield could possibly open up the D.H. spot so that Cole Brodnansky can get more at bats.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Perhaps Chiovitti could get a look at D H if both he and Nucerino are playing well.

Yup, looks like Penders is going to stay with Kyler Fedko in right field. One of those instances where he wants to get the young talented player into the lineup. Chiovitti or Nucerino (when his hammy heals up) will no doubt continue to be a late inning defensive replacement for him.

Reaction Score

Them Reds is Hell Don't They @Lukefrom2011 3 hours ago
A couple of notes from Penders on the Michigan State series:

Them Reds is Hell Don't They@Lukefrom2011 3 hours ago
They’re planning on trying Jimmy Wang and Kenny Haus out as starters this weekend in addition to the usual Kersten and Feole

Them Reds is Hell Don't They @Lukefrom201 3 hours ago
It’s been 1,014 days since Randy Polonia last pitched in a competitive game, as he pointed out leaving practice, but he is likely traveling to Greenville with the rest of the team this weekend

Reaction Score
Them Reds is Hell Don't They @Lukefrom2011 3 hours ago
A couple of notes from Penders on the Michigan State series:

Them Reds is Hell Don't They@Lukefrom2011 3 hours ago
They’re planning on trying Jimmy Wang and Kenny Haus out as starters this weekend in addition to the usual Kersten and Feole

Them Reds is Hell Don't They @Lukefrom201 3 hours ago
It’s been 1,014 days since Randy Polonia last pitched in a competitive game, as he pointed out leaving practice, but he is likely traveling to Greenville with the rest of the team this weekend

Daily Campus baseball articles are worth reading this season. I'm sure today's twitter info will show up in the paper in the next few days.

Jimmy Wang. Wow, that was fast! He's inexperienced, but the coaches like his talent and his upside.

Also, a wow for Randy Polonia! I might be wrong, but I seem to recall that that UConn expands the travel roster for the spring break trip, but still, he is on the travel roster.

Reaction Score
Through the first 31 days of the season, UConn has played 17 games. Starting this Wednesday, the pace of the season changes, as UConn is scheduled to play its first midweek game. This game at Virginia starts a period where the pace of games picks up for UConn. The Huskies are scheduled to play 28 games in the next 40 days, with no more than one day off between games. Also starting next week UConn is schedule to play 5 games a week four times in a five week period. That will certainly get the baseball team into a more regular playing routine, and give more regular work to the pitching staff. And of course, AAC conference play begins this Friday at Houston. While everyone wants to win non conference games, the big priority of every college baseball team is to win weekend conference series.

Reaction Score
UConn is currently scheduled to play its first midweek New England game tomorrow. At this point, UConn has 34 games left in its regular season schedule. Twelve of those games (three AAC conference series and the out of conference series against Sam Houston State) will require airplane flights where about 27 or 28 players travel on the trip, with the rest of the players not traveling stay behind in Storrs. However, for the 22 games that are scheduled for either home or at nearby New England schools, a different dynamic can now be added. Players who have not normally traveled with the team could now have the opportunity to play in these games. It’s possible that we might see someone like Jake Sanderson, Andy Hague, or Ben Maycock making an appearance in a game. It’s more of a chance that one of the non traveling pitchers might make an appearance in a game that isn’t close. I’m looking forward to possibly seeing someone like Jake Sanderson in a non conference game to see what they can do. Of course, it is usually the practice that a few of the pitchers on the roster (usually freshmen) will end up being redshirted and not play at all, which was the case for Caleb Wurster and Angus Mayock last season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom