UConn Baseball 2019 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2019

Reaction Score
2019 Roster partially built out online, with upper classmen. Getting closer!

I saw this yesterday, 15 players listed, non of them newcomers to the team. Also, no players listed who I figure are in danger of being cut from the team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Quick summary. Overall, the coaches like the depth and versatility of the position players on the team. This interviewed focused on the outfield positions. Woodworth sounds like he could be as impressive defensively in center field as he was at 2B last season. For right field, two players were mentioned, Mike Chiovitti and Anthony Nucerino. Based on the interview I would think Chiovitti is ahead in this race. Both Chiovitti and Nucerino are capable of playing all three outfield positions well. Nucerino doesn't hit for average, but he does a lot of things well, including getting on base. The coaches really seem to like his versatility.

Before this interview, I was thinking that Nucerino was one of the players who were on the team last season that could have ended up getting cut from the squad this season. From the sound of the interview, it sounds like his place on the team is solid, and Nucerino could get a lot of time as the fourth outfielder.

Reaction Score

As mentioned before, sounds like Christian Fedko will join Prato and Chris Winkel as regulars in the infield. Once again, confirmation that Fedko's defense is much improved at 2B. Brodnansky and Langer described as professional hitters. Pack of guys who could be in the mix at 3B. It wouldn't surprise me if Conor Moriarty gets first crack. Coach Hourigan says he is one of the best defensive players in the conference at 3B. With his speed and power, I suspect he will keep the spot if he can hit .250 or better. If not, he goes back to being a late inning defensive replacement. As reported before, Pat Winkel, Kyler Fedko, and Will Lucas all look very good as freshmen players. Pat Winkel sounds like the leader at catcher, although Thad Phillips and especially Pau Gozzo could get looks there as well. In addition to Phillips who is probably the leader at the D.H. spot, several other players could very well get time there as well.

Also, always a chance that Will Lucas or Kyler Fedko could get a little time in the outfield. That's been suggested in previous articles and interviews. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them gets moved out there next season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Dammit...

Better get Chase stretched out to start

Feole not pitching isn't good, but if he only misses two weeks it is not the end of the world. Just hope it doesn't turn into a Tim Cate situation where he missed most of the season.

Gardner would be one option. At this point I'm really interested in hearing the upcoming Chris Jones interview on the pitching staff. Usually it will mention those pitchers who have been stretched out for possible pitching starts. Jeff Kersten and Colby Dunlop would no doubt be givens in this regard, I'm guessing Joe Simeone as well, but we don't know for sure. There could be a freshman or two in the mix as well. It wouldn't surprise me if Gardner gets the nod primarily due to his past experience. His problem last year was that he usually would only be effective for a few innings before he would start losing it, which is the reason for moving him to the bullpen where he would certainly pitch in shorter stints.

Also, UConn will need a fourth starter beginning in the third weekend of the season, so this could play into the decision as well. Whoever that fourth starter is may just end up being moved up to the first two weekends as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just checked roster is partially up. On the website are the obvious choices for who will be on the team so don't get too excited. Its funny that the no brainers are put on there first rather than all at once.
Still waiting for Coach Mac's review of the pitchers...

Reaction Score
Just checked roster is partially up. On the website are the obvious choices for who will be on the team so don't get too excited. Its funny that the no brainers are put on there first rather than all at once.
Still waiting for Coach Mac's review of the pitchers...

Always interested in the preseason coach interviews. As always, I'm interested to hear of incoming pitchers who have a chance to contribute this season.

Reaction Score
From what I saw in Fall Ball Jake (Sandy) Sanderson and Tyler Briggs both got some time and both looked like they could be contributors. But there is also Karl Johnson who transferred from Army and has good size.

Reaction Score
From what I saw in Fall Ball Jake (Sandy) Sanderson and Tyler Briggs both got some time and both looked like they could be contributors. But there is also Karl Johnson who transferred from Army and has good size.

By coincidence Johnson, Sanderson, and Briggs were all involved in collegiate summer leagues last year. They all got a number of mentions on twitter during fall ball games as well. One would guess these guys are the most likely to see time, but we'll see how things develop during the season. One of my favorite things to follow during the regular season is to see how the pitching staff develops or not over a period of time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting that the best pitcher is the one coming up lame to start recent seasons. I would re-look at how we're bringing them into the season.

Reaction Score
Five Quick Hits: Mid-Majors To Watch | D1Baseball

>– CONNECTICUT
Last year, I had the Huskies on this “Five Mid-Majors To Watch” list and sure enough they made noise in the postseason, reaching the championship round of both the AAC Tournament and the Conway Regional. This year, they’ve got all three weekend starters back, including Team USA pitcher Mason Feole and a pair of up-the-middle stalwarts in in Anthony Prado and Michael Woodworth among six returning starters. Unlike ECU though, the Huskies have a rugged nonconference slate and play 21 of their first 22 games on the road. So we might have to wait till April or May to see their best baseball.<

Reaction Score
I know, I know but...

2019 Preseason Field Of 64 | D1Baseball

UConn projected as 3 seed in Corvallis.

>>In terms of overall bids, the SEC and ACC lead the charge with 10 and nine, respectively, while the Pac 12, Big 12 and American are next in line with six, five and four, respectively. The Big Ten has three representatives in the projections, while Conference USA and the Big West each have two.<<

ECU, Houston and UCF are the other projected AAC teams.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
We can likely expect a bullpen game this coming Sunday.

Reaction Score
Five Quick Hits: Mid-Majors To Watch | D1Baseball

>– CONNECTICUT
Last year, I had the Huskies on this “Five Mid-Majors To Watch” list and sure enough they made noise in the postseason, reaching the championship round of both the AAC Tournament and the Conway Regional. This year, they’ve got all three weekend starters back, including Team USA pitcher Mason Feole and a pair of up-the-middle stalwarts in in Anthony Prado and Michael Woodworth among six returning starters. Unlike ECU though, the Huskies have a rugged nonconference slate and play 21 of their first 22 games on the road. So we might have to wait till April or May to see their best baseball.<

Mid-Major? Ouch!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom