UConn Baseball 2019 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2019

Reaction Score
There is a pretty sizeable UConn contingent on that board.

Loving the hype Feole is getting. Let's hope Dunlop is next in line.

The best thing that could happen to UConn baseball is for Dunlop to turn into an effective pitcher. I'm thinking his potential development is the real key to the season. If Dunlop turns into something good, the Huskies could go a long way. The problem is that if Dunlop bombs out as a weekend starter, currently there doesn't seem to be an obvious candidate to replace him in the weekend starting rotation unless Joe Simeone or one of the freshmen make a great leap forward.

Reaction Score
When I saw the tweet of Eric Yavarone talking to the team at a practice, I figured Chris Jones and his interviews couldn't be far behind! A sure sign the college baseball season is getting to be just around the corner.

Reaction Score
Two weeks out and still no roster posted on website. Interviews everyday with Jonesy are getting me amped....can’t come soon enough..

Reaction Score
Two weeks out and still no roster posted on website. Interviews everyday with Jonesy are getting me amped....can’t come soon enough..

The last couple of years the roster hasn't been posted until a few days before the season starts. They usually seem to make their final cuts before posting anything.

Reaction Score

Coming back from Tommy John surgery takes time, and I'm getting the idea that Avery Santos very well could be the perfect example of this. He seems to be getting a lot of positive mentions in fall ball and in this preseason. I'm thinking he could get a fair amount of time out of the bullpen this coming season.

Reaction Score
2019 Conference Previews: The American | D1Baseball

UConn is picked for a third place finish behind East Carolina and Houston. Four teams (UCF the fourth team) picked to make the NCAA tourney.

The writeup has Chase Gardner as one of the three weekend starters, with Colby Dunlop as the wild card for the pitching staff. I'm inclined to think the UConn coaches will probably stick with with their original plan to move Gardner to the pen, with Dunlop the Sunday starter. Don't know if the writer has new info or what, but Penders has always had the tendency to want to go with a young and very talented pitcher such as Dunlop and try to quickly shoehorn them into a weekend starting spot. These pitchers may take a few lumps, but many times they develop into quality pitchers. Hopefully Dunlop is on something of the Wills Montgomerie track of development. I expect Gardner would be one of the fall back options in case Dunlop doesn't work out. I would think the upcoming coaches interviews with Chris Jones will have more information on how this might go.

The story also lists Randy Polonia as one of the options out of the bullpen, so hopefully the writer has some information that he is able to pitch again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This is awesome!!! Greg Nappo and I work for the same baseball facility. We have become good friends. He and I recently had a great conversation about this “round-table”. He said although he felt old (LOL), he enjoyed the opportunity to sit down with his fellow alumni and the current Husky pitchers to discuss his experiences and the culture that UConn baseball has created.

Reaction Score

UConn is picked for a third place finish behind East Carolina and Houston. Four teams (UCF the fourth team) picked to make the NCAA tourney.

The writeup has Chase Gardner as one of the three weekend starters, with Colby Dunlop as the wild card for the pitching staff. I'm inclined to think the UConn coaches will probably stick with with their original plan to move Gardner to the pen, with Dunlop the Sunday starter. Don't know if the writer has new info or what, but Penders has always had the tendency to want to go with a young and very talented pitcher such as Dunlop and try to quickly shoehorn them into a weekend starting spot. These pitchers may take a few lumps, but many times they develop into quality pitchers. Hopefully Dunlop is on something of the Wills Montgomerie track of development. I expect Gardner would be one of the fall back options in case Dunlop doesn't work out. I would think the upcoming coaches interviews with Chris Jones will have more information on how this might go.

The story also lists Randy Polonia as one of the options out of the bullpen, so hopefully the writer has some information that he is able to pitch again.
I did see Randy polonia on one of social media accounts pitching off a mound as recently as a couple days ago. So he is at least in the mix to make the team and it was a good sign. Man when that kid was on as a freshman and threw strikes he really looked the part. Two years is a long time to be away but how can you not root for him?? Would be a hell of a story.

Reaction Score
I did see Randy polonia on one of social media accounts pitching off a mound as recently as a couple days ago. So he is at least in the mix to make the team and it was a good sign. Man when that kid was on as a freshman and threw strikes he really looked the part. Two years is a long time to be away but how can you not root for him?? Would be a hell of a story.

I expect that if Polonia is able to pitch he will be on the team.

Reaction Score

Cleaning up a few UConn related loose ends from D1baseball.com and their preseason preview on the AAC. The website has Mason Feole as the AAC Pitcher of the Year.

The preview also has a listing for top prospects and impact freshmen.

There is a Top 50 listing for AAC players eligible for the 2019 MLB draft. The following UConn players are listed:

5. Mason Feole
6. Jacob Wallace
10. Anthony Prato
25. Chris Winkel
28. Chase Gardner
46. John Toppa

There is a Top 20 listing for AAC players eligible for the 2020 MLB draft. Here are the UConn players listed:

8. Colby Dunlop
19. Joe Simeone

And finally, the UConn players listed in their AAC Top 20 Impact Freshmen.

2. Pat Winkel
8. Kyler Fedko
14. Will Lucas
17. Jake Sanderson

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member