UConn baseball 2018 tentative schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn baseball 2018 tentative schedule

Reaction Score

It will be interesting to see if this game gets rescheduled. I just checked the schedules for Yale and UConn. In the past UConn has avoided playing on Monday's and Thursday's, days that are right after or before the weekend conference series. There is an open date for both teams on Tuesday, March 20, assuming that that the field is playable by that date. After that, UConn has midweek games scheduled on Tuesday's, while Yale has midweek games scheduled on Wednesday's for the rest of March and through all of April. Another possibility would be the day after Easter, Monday, April 2. UConn does not play on Easter, however, Yale has a home conference day on Easter, so I'm not sure if Yale would want to play that day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

So much for rescheduling that game with Yale to a future date. I guess that future date will be sometime next year. As for this Quinnipiac game now on March, with this recent snowfall it will be interesting to see if the field at J.O. Christian is in playable shape by the time of either this game or the St. John's game two days earlier. Of course, assuming if the weather is good, UConn has moved games to other nearby facilities in the past, so it could always happen again.

Reaction Score
In the Northeast - the schedule is always tentative!

Tentative is right. Anyway, this postponement makes for a newly revised tentative home opener in Storrs, which would be March 29 against Hartford.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Bummer, but with 1 less New England game, that's 1 less opportunity for an RPI-killing loss.

Reaction Score
Bummer, but with 1 less New England game, that's 1 less opportunity for an RPI-killing loss.

Shawn McGrath w/ the homework:

Shawn McGrath‏ @ShawnMMcGrath 56m 56 minutes ago
.@UConnBSB against Fairfield cancelled with no make-up date. The Huskies are currently at 54 games, with one open date (April 11). Should the Huskies want a full 56, they’ll be playing on a Monday or a Thursday, with Monday the more likely option

Shawn McGrath‏ @ShawnMMcGrath
April 11 also isn’t overly likely due to crazy amounts of travel in that time. Double-headers are also a possibility. Northeastern (May 9, 1 p.m.) is an option due to an insanely high RPI (13th) and it is after finals, so classes aren’t a worry. Same with URI (May 13, 3:30 p.m.)

Reaction Score
Given the forecast for tomorrow, I would think the game against Quinnipiac is also in danger of not being played.

It also gives pitchers like Dunlop and Simeone one less chance to get on the mound against a non conference opponent and possibly show some development in their game. That to me is the real value in some of these midweek games.

Shawn McGrath w/ the homework:

Shawn McGrath‏ @ShawnMMcGrath 56m 56 minutes ago
.@UConnBSB against Fairfield cancelled with no make-up date. The Huskies are currently at 54 games, with one open date (April 11). Should the Huskies want a full 56, they’ll be playing on a Monday or a Thursday, with Monday the more likely option

Shawn McGrath‏ @ShawnMMcGrath
April 11 also isn’t overly likely due to crazy amounts of travel in that time. Double-headers are also a possibility. Northeastern (May 9, 1 p.m.) is an option due to an insanely high RPI (13th) and it is after finals, so classes aren’t a worry. Same with URI (May 13, 3:30 p.m.)

Midweek doubleheaders against New England clubs are fairly rare, but on occasion they do get scheduled. However, I would think the doubleheader option against Northeastern would be unlikely as that would have UConn playing three midweek games in that particular week.

I don't recall UConn ever reschedule New England games for a Monday or Thursday during conference play. I would consider it to be pretty unlikely that his would happen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another one gone...

Due to our annual women's basketball final four trip and these rainouts, it's now been a bit over a week since I've been able to listen to Chris Jones and UConn baseball. I think I may be going through withdrawal.

Reaction Score
“Tentative”: unsure; uncertain; not definite or positive; hesitant.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Was about to post this, only to be beaten to the punch. Curse you, huskymedic...

Reaction Score

UMass RPI @ #240

Given how crowded the UConn baseball schedule is, it seems unlikely that this game will be made up, unless UConn suddenly decides to start playing non conference games on the day before or after a weekend AAC series, something I don't ever recall happening before. Given all the current injuries to UConn pitchers, the still healthy hurlers could use this rest.

Reaction Score
I hope it rains everyday we are scheduled to play a 200+ RPI team.

If it weren't for all the injuries, I'd definitely want to have the games played, no matter what the RPI. These midweek games are the time when you want to give innings to the young talented unproven pitchers and have them experience some success before throwing them into the pressure cauldron of the weekend AAC conference games.

Reaction Score
Ha... this is addition by substraction. Rain out helps (or doesn’t hurt) our RPI... we could have pitched a perfect game and won by 20 and would have dropped in the polls.
Also, our P staff could use the rest with all the injuries.

Reaction Score
How many games have we lost this year to weather? Has the selection committee ever had to evaluate teams that played so many fewer games than the teams they are competing with?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom