UConn Baseball 2017 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2017

Reaction Score
Where is the @ucjoet prediction of what is needed for an at large bid....loved that projection and the update he would do in how we are tracking to breaking down schedule...one of the best pieces done for husky baseball

Reaction Score
Where is the @ucjoet prediction of what is needed for an at large bid....loved that projection and the update he would do in how we are tracking to breaking down schedule...one of the best pieces done for husky baseball
I glad you guys like it. It has been a crazy week for different reasons. Will have projections up over next couple of days. Would love to start projections after a 4-0 start

Reaction Score

This is the type of stuff I was talking about a few weeks ago when I mentioned promoting the team. This is great marketing. It gives a personality to the name for casual fans. It gives them something/somebody to route for. Hopefully this is successful enough where it continues and helps grow the fan base.

Also unrelated to this particular subject I was curious if anybody knows if the baseball team has tried selling baseball hats. I always see people asking where they can get them. If anybody connected to the team or athletic department sees this, suggest selling the hats at the games and have the profits go toward the baseball stadium. It'd be similar to how they intend to add a surcharge to other sporting events.

Reaction Score

I almost wrote something on this last night. The focus of the big strikeout totals for UConn is on Wills Montgomerie. While Montgomerie's strikeout totals are pretty wild, the Huskies have several pitchers that are averaging a strikeout per inning:

Here's the list:

Montgomerie - 36 k's in 18.1 innings
Cate - 20 k's in 11 innings
Feole - 18 k's in 15.1 innings
Dandeneau - 10 k's in 4.2 innings
Russell - 15 k's in 8 innings
Radue - 8 k's in 6.1 innings
Nepiarsky - 5 k's in 5 innings
Domnarski - 4 k's in 3.1 innings

I expect Rossomando could end up getting on this list.

Reaction Score
Wills Montgomerie has received much attention for his strikeout totals this season. Still, it is interesting to note that Montgomerie does not lead the Huskies in strikeouts per innings. John Russell does, with an amazing 25 strikeouts in 12 innings.

This is not to suggest that Russell is a better pitcher than Montgomerie, not when Russell possesses a 5.25 ERA. Still, Russell has a rather interesting collection of stats to go along with the 25 strikeouts. Also on the plus side, the opposition is hitting .178 against him, and he does have 5 saves. On the down side, Russell has 9 walks (in 12 innings) 4 wild pitches which leads the team, 2 hit by pitches, 2 home runs given up, and the ability to drive Husky fans crazy in a similar fashion that Randy Polonia did last year.

While the bad stuff is quite annoying, the plus side of him is quite interesting, considering how little he pitched for the Huskies last season. In summer ball Russell pitched for the Edenton Steamers of the Coastal Plains League, where he pitched 34.1 innings, struck out 51 batters, and had an ERA of 2.88. He also had 15 walks, which is certainly a better ratio than what he currently has with UConn. I don't know how well regarded the Coastal Plains League is in terms of summer ball leagues, but that is a nice little eye opener. Still, if Russell comes to show the growth that Montgomerie has where he is able to reduce or limit all the walks, hit by pitches, wild pitches and other bad stuff, than UConn will have quite a pitcher on their hands. I'm inclined to think this is not out of the question, considering Russell has pretty much come out of nowhere to claim a major stake in the UConn bullpen this season.

Reaction Score
Well, I'm back from Dallas. While there I was able to listen to a few snippets of the broadcasts. Chris Jones reported during one of those snippets that Randy Polonia should be back from his UCL problem this coming week. Jones was thinking that Polonia might be available to pitch as early as the Wednesday game against Hartford. If Polonia is able to retain his composure and his control like he did occasionally during last season, he would be a valuable addition to the bullpen.

Reaction Score
Drat. Polonia has some great stuff, the only question is if he could control it.
Little nip and tuck of the UCL and hopefully he'll be as good as new. All in the rehab...

Reaction Score
Little nip and tuck of the UCL and hopefully he'll be as good as new. All in the rehab...

"A nip and tuck of the UCL", I like that. Although I do find it odd now that last weekend Chris Jones was saying that Polonia was likely to be available to pitch this weekend, and now he is gone for this season.

Reaction Score
Everyone's an expert ;) Queue up Keith Law diatribe.
Jim Penders needs to treat his star pitchers with caution (Daily Campus)
Based off this article I'd say this person has barely watch the team. While Penders probably did go to the well a few too many times with Kay, I haven't seen any of that this year. Not once did they mention pitch counts to give the reader a more accurate idea of workload.

Last edited:

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Feole threw less than 100 pitches in that 8 inning outing...lol.

I agree Kay was overworked last year but Penders usually does a very good job of managing his pitcher's arms. The article, although well-intentioned, is wrong about Penders here.

Reaction Score
Left handed pitchers Alex Hintze and Michael Schwartz are no longer listed on the roster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom