UConn Baseball 2017 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2017

Reaction Score
The spring semester has started, and the banquet was a couple of days ago. I expect the spring baseball roster will be posted on the athletic website in the next few days, at least I hope that is the case. I checked to see when it was posted last season, and found it was January 20.

Reaction Score
Drat, no roster posted yet. Five players need to be paired from the 40 man fall roster to make it down to the 35 spot roster mandated by the NCAA for the regular season. A few of the cuts would seem to be logical, but it looks like the last cut or two could be of a veteran or two, or perhaps even one of the incoming freshmen. I'm curious to see how it will shake out.

Reaction Score
No roster posted yet, but at least the preseason interviews with the coaching staff are starting to come out. Still, nothing really new in either the starting pitching or returning hitters videos that are just out.

As expected, Tim Cate and Wills Montgomerie are the Friday and Saturday starters. Doug Domnarski is the leader for the Sunday spot. Coach MacDonald feels that Domnarski is more comfortable as a starter than as a reliever, but he can do both. Zapata and Nepiarsky also mentioned as possible starters, with Nepiarsky viewed as a swing man who can both start and be effective in relief. Freshman lefty Mason Feole was also mentioned as a possible starter. He has an electric arm and is someone who could come on quickly. He could possibly see big conference innings later in the season.

As for hitters, Aaron Hill probably had the best fall of all the returning position players, and is using the entire field now in his at bats, something the coaching staff is greatly pleased to see with him. Coach Hourigan is hoping that Willy Yahn will become a bit more disciplined at the plate. Zac Susi took the summer off to get his body in better shape, which explains why he disappeared so quickly off the Mystic Schooners summer ball roster. Stefanski and Gnesda also got positive mentions, as did John Toppa. There was no mention at all of Keith Krueger, who started the alumni game in center field.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Gnesda turning into a legit power bat would make a dramatic difference for this team.

Reaction Score
Gnesda turning into a legit power bat would make a dramatic difference for this team.

I don't know if a power surge is in the cards, but it was said that Gnesda worked hard on his swing over the summer and is hitting the ball to all fields.

Reaction Score
UConn baseball preseason article from the Daily Campus. Some interesting stuff, such as Coach Penders calling the this season's offense S.A.K.O (Swiss army knife offense), high praise for Chris Winkel (he's getting looks in center field), Isaac Feldstein's power potential, and redshirt freshman infielder Jack Lambrecht being out for about 6 weeks due to an unnamed injury.

Baseball: Excitement envelops young Husky squad with season right around the corner

Reaction Score
No roster posted yet...

Educated guessing (and reading between the lines w/ all the freshman talk) is that Coach Penders has some difficult decisions to make w/ those final roster cuts.

Reaction Score
Educated guessing (and reading between the lines w/ all the freshman talk) is that Coach Penders has some difficult decisions to make w/ those final roster cuts.

Agreed. I've tried some educated guessing of my own with the roster, and it doesn't look to be easy.

Reaction Score

UConn Baseball
@UConnBaseball

Part 2 of 3 with Coach Hourigan. This installment focuses on the catchers and mentality of the team going into 2017.

They love Kenny Bergmann's bat. Coach Hourigan talks about Bergmann possibly getting some playing time at the DH spot.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom