UConn baseball 2017 fall ball roster | The Boneyard

UConn baseball 2017 fall ball roster

Reaction Score
First off, Jack Lambrecht and Sam Nepiarsky are not on the fall ball roster. I’m not all that surprised about Lambrecht, given all the infielders on the team. I was guessing he might be one of the last cuts to get down to the 35 man roster in the spring season. While I’m not sure what type of pitching role Nepiarsky would have played on this team, I was still surprised to see him gone.

The rest of the roster:

Returning players

Sr - Troy Stefanski - OF
Sr - Isaac Feldstein - OF
Sr - Trevor Holmes - RHP
Sr - Joe Rivera - RHP

Jr - Zac Susi - C
Jr - John Toppa - OF/Inf

rJr - CJ Dandeneau - RHP
rJr - Dan Rajkowski - RHP
Jr - PJ Poulin - LHP
Jr - Tim Cate - LHP
Jr - Ronnie Rossomando - rHP

rSo - Randy Polonia - RHP
So - Anthony Prato - SS
So - Chris Winkel - 1B/OF
So - Conor Moriarty - Inf
So - Kenny Bergmann - C
So - Mason Feole - LHP
So - Jacob Wallace - RHP

rFr - Anthony Nucerino - OF

Newcomers

rFr - Ben Maycock - OF
Fr - Christian Fedko - Inf/C
Fr - Luke Broadhurst - Inf
Fr - Andy Hague - Inf
Fr - Matt Bonvicini -1B
Jr - Thad Phillips - C - - Ohlone College
Jr - Mike Woodworth Inf/OF - Sierra College
Jr - Vinnie Pallisco - 1B/OF (Avery Point)
Fr - Robby Jones - LHP/OF/1B
Fr - Joe Simeone - RHP
Fr - Jarrod Melle - RHP
Fr - Colby Dunlop - RHP
Fr - Angus Mayock - RHP
Fr - AJ Denny - LHP
Jr - Jeffrey Kersten - RHP - Sierra College
Jr - Chase Gardner - LHP - College of Marin

Fr - Connor Anstis - Inf - Statford, CT
So- Paul Gozzo - C - Wallingford, CT - Tulane University - Started 40 games last season for the Green Wave.
Fr - Justin Lanese - Inf - Milford, CT
Fr - Sean Melaven - C - Cromwell, CT
So- Nate Panzer - OF - Westport, CT - University of Maryland
So- Tommy Sand - Inf - South Windsor, CT
RJr- Avery Santos - RHP - Trumbull, CT - Avery Point
Fr - Dan Steiner - C - Tolland, CT
Fr - Jianyi (Jimmy) Wang - RHP - Beijing, China by way of Jenison High School, MI
Fr - Caleb Wurster - LHP - Coventry, RI

Ben Maycock, Tommy Sand, and Avery Santos were all on last year's fall roster.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this. Do Gozzo and Panzer have to redshirt as D-I transfers? They're both very good players.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this. Do Gozzo and Panzer have to redshirt as D-I transfers? They're both very good players.

You never know when D-1 baseball transfers have to redshirt. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. As for Nate Panzer, I just checked the Maryland baseball website. Panzer was not on their roster last season. On that basis, I doubt he would have to redshirt if he makes the Huskies squad in the spring.

Reaction Score
Gozzo also provides some insurance should catching recruit Patrick Winkel decide to go pro instead of joining the UConn baseball team after he graduates high school.

Anyone know if the AAC has some sort of rule that would require baseball players transferring to another team in the conference to sit out a year? Gozzo fits that bill.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Getting a player like Panzer into the program also bodes well for future recruiting. Staples has been churning out high-major DI players at a higher clip than pretty much any other public school in the state.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Losing Nepiarsky hurts but we didn't lose any true impact players, the freshman made it to campus, and we get two quality transfers. I am guessing Panzer has been with us for a while because of what dbmill said. Looking forward to this year.

Reaction Score
Dom Amore Hartford Courant article on the UConn alumni day starts off on Paul Gozzo transferring from Tulane to UConn. Because he is transferring to another AAC team, he will have to sit out a year and will lose a year of eligibility. He will be eligible to play for the 2019 and 202o seasons.

Catcher Paul Gozzo Leaves Twin Behind At Tulane, Transfers To UConn

Coach Penders talking about the Gozzo brothers in general and Paul in particular:

<"We recruited them a bit out of high school," UConn coach Jim Penders said. "The irony is we kind of recruited Sal more than we recruited Paul. We waited a little too long to jump in on Paul, and we really regretted it after the fact. He's a good receiver, really knows the game and he has his priorities in order — a great student. He has fit right in.">

Interesting item on Ben Maycock:

<Penders noted Ben Maycock from Newington High, who did not make the spring roster in 2017, "has real gifts. He's very fast, big and strong. He can be a difference maker.">

Reaction Score
Interesting to see all those names. The two transfers are at positions of need for sure with frenchy and Kruger leaving.

Nepiarsky will be missed he did provide some solid outings just struggled with any kind of consistency.

Reaction Score
Interesting to see all those names. The two transfers are at positions of need for sure with frenchy and Kruger leaving.

Nepiarsky will be missed he did provide some solid outings just struggled with any kind of consistency.

Nepiarsky did play briefly in the Cape League this past summer, but was quickly cut. Nepiarsky was coming into his fifth year at UConn, and he did not have any sort of established role on the pitching staff. It seemed he needed pinpoint control to be effective. He could be a beast when he had that control, but those occurrences were not very often. If Nepiarsky did not have that control the opposition could really bat him around, as Houston did in the AAC tournament last season. I think for that reason Penders rarely used him against really good teams and especially in conference games.

Reaction Score
Not counting the players who had used up all their eligibility and those who left early for pro baseball, there are six players who were on last season's UConn baseball roster who are not on the current fall ball roster. I'm not sure if this is a big number of players dropping off the roster or what.

We also have the return of Ben Maycock who is on the fall ball roster last year after not making the team in the spring. It seems likely that Maycock will be on the spring roster. I'm guessing it must be pretty uncommon to make a college team a year after getting cut, although the same thing did happen with John Russell when he was a freshman. Russell went off to play at Avery Point, came back to Storrs after that, and the rest is history.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Not counting the players who had used up all their eligibility and those who left early for pro baseball, there are six players who were on last season's UConn baseball roster who are not on the current fall ball roster. I'm not sure if this is a big number of players dropping off the roster or what.

We also have the return of Ben Maycock who is on the fall ball roster last year after not making the team in the spring. It seems likely that Maycock will be on the spring roster. I'm guessing it must be pretty uncommon to make a college team a year after getting cut, although the same thing did happen with John Russell when he was a freshman. Russell went off to play at Avery Point, came back to Storrs after that, and the rest is history.

I would imagine with Maycock getting praise from Penders, starting in the alumni game, and having a decent summer season (I'm not as sure about this one, but I remember reading it somewhere), he has a better shot than others.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
dbmill, 5-6 players not returning is about the norm (from following this program and Rice the past decade or so)...nothing to be worried about :)

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I am sad to see my dark horse Nepiarsky gone.

I say this with no malice towards you since we have disagreed on Nepiarsky in the past - I have a hunch that his departure may have been a function of things not related to his ability as a player. I have no inside info and it's pretty bad form to speculate (I'm wondering whether or not I should even be saying this), but we as fans are unaware of many aspects of the team dynamic. We do know that Penders demands a lot out of the members of his team as people, not just as baseball players. Maintaining that standard is no small feat.

Reaction Score
I say this with no malice towards you since we have disagreed on Nepiarsky in the past - I have a hunch that his departure may have been a function of things not related to his ability as a player. I have no inside info and it's pretty bad form to speculate (I'm wondering whether or not I should even be saying this), but we as fans are unaware of many aspects of the team dynamic. We do know that Penders demands a lot out of the members of his team as people, not just as baseball players. Maintaining that standard is no small feat.
Possibly so. At least pitching is one area I believe we have depth.

Reaction Score
Sam intends to graduate this semester, therefor keeping him as a fall roster spot is counterproductive

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom