UConn Baseball 2014 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Still interested to know why we are not seeing Olmstead this year. I know we have a lot of OF's but why did he choose to play Sullivan over Olmstead if he was more highly regarded?

Sullivan or Sundberg??

My guess is that Penders/Staff saw something in the cage that gave Sundberg the edge (hard to argue w/ his production to so far). It seems Left and Center are locked down (for now) - wonder if Olmstead challenges for any time in Right as he gets his bat under him.

Reaction Score
Sullivan or Sundberg??

My guess is that Penders/Staff saw something in the cage that gave Sundberg the edge (hard to argue w/ his production to so far). It seems Left and Center are locked down (for now) - wonder if Olmstead challenges for any time in Right as he gets his bat under him.
Actually meant Sullivan or Olmstead. Sullivan has been playing right and I believe that is Olmstead's position also. Overall, just curious why we haven't seen him yet if highly regarded?

Reaction Score
Actually meant Sullivan or Olmstead. Sullivan has been playing right and I believe that is Olmstead's position also. Overall, just curious why we haven't seen him yet if highly regarded?

Gotcha... Was thinking Sullivan as more more of a corner infielder so had to go look - Sullivan DH'd twice and played RF once.

Reaction Score
Guess I just need to start listening to the games versus following on gametracker to hear more insight on team and player status.

Reaction Score
Guess I just need to start listening to the games versus following on gametracker to hear more insight on team and player status.

Or listen to the interviews that Chris Jones has done with Penders and the other coaches. Good stuff there.

Reaction Score
Sullivan or Sundberg??

I'm inclined to think Sundberg is pretty established in Center, especially after Penders has praised him for working on his game so hard following last season. Yavarone needs to keep hitting. The last couple of seasons he's gotten off to quick starts only to have his bat come crashing back to earth fairly quickly. Helping him stay in the lineup at this point is that Right and DH are in such a state of flux from day to day.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
8/18 (.444) with 3 round trippers in a 4 win week. I'll take it. Congrats!

Reaction Score
Young pups making a mark in a somewhat down year so far:

UConnBaseball3:27pm via TweetDeck
New @ncaastats release has #UConn's Bobby Melley, Jack Sundberg and Andrew Zapata in the top-20 in the nation in statistical categories.
  • UConn's Bobby Melley is 16th nationally with a .488 OBP, which ranks first in #AmericanBSB. He also leads the league in AVG and hits.
  • UConn's newly minted leadoff man Jack Sundberg stole four bases last week and is now 12th nationally and 2nd in #AmericanBSB with 25 swipes
  • Meanwhile, Andrew Zapata remains among the national leaders, coming in at 11th in H/9 allowed with 5.37. That leads #AmericanBSB.#UConn
As a team, #UConn is top-50 in ERA (2.90, 26th), H/9 allowed (8.06, 48th) and stolen bases (71, 35th). #BleedBlue

Reaction Score
Curious to where the rank in hitting with runners in scoring position. I imagine yesterday helped that average but imagine it has to be way down there.

Reaction Score
Young pups making a mark in a somewhat down year so far:

UConnBaseball3:27pm via TweetDeck
New @ncaastats release has #UConn's Bobby Melley, Jack Sundberg and Andrew Zapata in the top-20 in the nation in statistical categories.

• [ ]UConn's Bobby Melley is 16th nationally with a .488 OBP, which ranks first in #AmericanBSB. He also leads the league in AVG and hits.
    [ ]UConn's newly minted leadoff man Jack Sundberg stole four bases last week and is now 12th nationally and 2nd in #AmericanBSB with 25 swipes

[ ]Meanwhile, Andrew Zapata remains among the national leaders, coming in at 11th in H/9 allowed with 5.37. That leads #AmericanBSB.#UConn
As a team, #UConn is top-50 in ERA (2.90, 26th), H/9 allowed (8.06, 48th) and stolen bases (71, 35th). #BleedBlue

I've said this before, but the thing to keep in mind is that the Huskies are a fairly young team. The pitching has a mix of young and old, while the position players are primarily underclassmen. I like to think that there is plenty of room for the development of these young players.

One thing this team had to make up for from last year was the loss of two of its best position players in Mazzilli and Ferriter to graduation, and for most of the season the teams only senior among the position players, Tom Verdi, was lost to injury and until the Memphis series had not performed like he was capable of once he did come back. At any rate, that's a lot of offense and leadership to make up for from last year. It will be a different case for the position players next season. Verdi will be gone to graduation, but everyone else should be back (unless Davey goes pro).

Reaction Score
One of the recruits scheduled to come in in Sept., Zack Reisdorf, was willing to forfeit the rest of his HS senior season by participating in a MLB tryout camp in late May. The Reds stated they don't want kids to do that. Nothing on a final decision with this kid yet.
He is supposed to be an outstanding power hitting prospect. But, if he does this to his team, for personal gain, I don't know if I would want him.

Reaction Score
Anyone know what's up with Colletti this year? Injury? Figured he would get more action mid week this year.

Reaction Score
Anyone know what's up with Colletti this year? Injury? Figured he would get more action mid week this year.

Earlier this year Chris Jones said he had a shoulder problem. I haven't heard anything since then.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Hows ward doing? Hes a family friend...

Reaction Score
Hows ward doing? Hes a family friend...

Ward has pitched very well since he moved to being a middle of the week starter. In a season with a lot of disappointment, he has been a very nice positive of late.

Reaction Score

Chris Jones said today that Colletti will be having shoulder surgery soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom