UConn-Ball State postgame presser | The Boneyard

UConn-Ball State postgame presser

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
04750DEC-3595-4C3A-BFC2-C2C3FB7C1A08.jpeg

Reaction Score
A few revealing things:

1---- He has stated (which is very important) that there are no Sophomores or Juniors. IMO what that means for UCONN is that the team won't be very consistent. No matter how many minutes he gives to the freshmen, by their nature that is what freshmen are; inconsistent.

2--- He says he prefers 3 guards and at the PF spot he is fine going small. And he seems fine with Aaliyah as a 5 which I am too. I've always been on board with this thought process -- get the superior players. I feel way too many are infatuated wiht heiight and not enough on fundamentals.

Reaction Score
If the first years are “the least of his problem,” and he’s happy with Aaliyah, who is he focused on? Paige? Nika? Aubrey?

Reaction Score
If the first years are “the least of his problem,” and he’s happy with Aaliyah, who is he focused on? Paige? Nika? Aubrey?
Apparently!

Reaction Score
Following up on the previous post, Geno seemed upset with Paige and Aubrey the previous game. This game he benches Aubrey, and in essence moves Paige to the 4 in a small lineup and plays her fewer minutes than Ashlynn and KK, so it appears he is upset with some of the seniors and has decided to go small ball for now.

I still prefer Aubrey as the starter at the 4 and feel the freshmen guards should be competing for that last starting spot, be that Ashlynn, KK or Q.

Reaction Score
Minutes are earned in practice! My guess is Amari doesn't do well in practice!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Following up on the previous post, Geno seemed upset with Paige and Aubrey the previous game. This game he benches Aubrey, and in essence moves Paige to the 4 in a small lineup and plays her fewer minutes than Ashlynn and KK, so it appears he is upset with some of the seniors and has decided to go small ball for now.

I still prefer Aubrey as the starter at the 4 and feel the freshmen guards should be competing for that last starting spot, be that Ashlynn, KK or Q.
I think you’re in the minority here. Aubrey is awesome bringing defensive intensity off the bench after the opponent settles into an offensive flow. She can be a game changer off the bench.

I’m a little concerned about her surgically repaired back, though. She’s been moving more gingerly this season and was slow to get up after a hard foul by Ball State. I hope she’s ok

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The entire senior class seems out of it, mentally. Turnovers are killing the team - who has the most? Some of the TO’s are the dumbest I’ve seen

9F138085-7C53-499C-BE02-6B7AA7762835.jpeg

Reaction Score
The entire senior class seems out of it, mentally. Turnovers are killing the team - who has the most? Some of the TO’s are the dumbest I’ve seen

View attachment 93787
This obviously doesn't include last night's game but I was curious what the per-40 stats were:
Stats per 40 minutesTO
DeBerry,Amari
8.70​
Edwards,Aaliyah
4.55​
Ducharme,Caroline
2.76​
Bueckers,Paige
2.57​
Arnold,KK
2.00​
Fudd,Azzi
1.97​
Mühl,Nika
1.72​
Griffin,Aubrey
1.64​
Shade,Ashlynn
1.56​
Brady,Ice
1.40​
Samuels,Qadence
1.21​
Bettencourt,Inês
0.00​

Reaction Score

View attachment 93787
I thoroughly agree--what has happened to our seniors as far as decision-making and leadership? They all seem collectively to be in a funk, unsure and mentally brittle, and I am at a loss as to what are the causal factors for this.

Reaction Score
Was encouraged he took some responsibility for the Texas debacle..
Completely agree with his assessment of how players get things right two times in a row and think they have it as opposed to getting it right 7-8 times.. the accounting for slippage in a game.. was interesting and absolutely true..
His take on the inconsistency was spot on..
Overall insightful and informative.. and thankfully not mention of Paige dribbling too much or other such nonsense..

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I thought that Geno's statement -- that in hindsight he views his decision to start Aaliyah and Ice together last Sunday was a bad decision -- has momentous implications. It appears to mean that even against teams with major size, UConn will go mostly with a 4-guard configuration. I suppose he is relying on the guards to get rebounds, and indeed Paige / Nika / Aubrey / Q / Ashlynn are quite good rebounders for guards. Last night, it really appeared (as the announcer said) that Paige was playing a "4" position on defense.

I really wonder if this will work against big, good teams. It would be far better for Ice to develop quickly into the player that she can be (I think she's close), and for Ayanna to return quickly.

My other comment on his Ball State interviews is about his statement that he only has seniors and freshmen, so the freshmen are going to play a lot. Even considering Ice as a freshman (which is reasonable), hearing him say that must have been an "ouch" moment for Amari (a junior) and Ines (a sophomore). This is another instance where I think he may regret his choice of words.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I thought that Geno's statement -- that in hindsight he views his decision to start Aaliyah and Ice together last Sunday was a bad decision -- has momentous implications. It appears to mean that even against teams with major size, UConn will go mostly with a 4-guard configuration. I suppose he is relying on the guards to get rebounds, and indeed Paige / Nika / Aubrey / Q / Ashlynn are quite good rebounders for guards. Last night, it really appeared (as the announcer said) that Paige was playing a "4" position on defense.

I really wonder if this will work against big, good teams. It would be far better for Ice to develop quickly into the player that she can be (I think she's close), and for Ayanna to return quickly.

My other comment on his Ball State interviews is about his statement that he only has seniors and freshmen, so the freshmen are going to play a lot. Even considering Ice as a freshman (which is reasonable), hearing him say that must have been an "ouch" moment for Amari (a junior) and Ines (a sophomore). This is another instance where I think he may regret his choice of words.
A 4 guard lineup can run, run, run - make the big girls go up and down all game. The Huskies don’t want to get bogged down in the half court right now.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I thought he was referencing the starters, where if you look, Amari is the only junior available, and Bettencourt the only sophomore.

WRT his admission that the Texas big lineup was wrong, I think that's a good thing. They tried it, it didn't work, he took responsibility for it. I have some thoughts on lineups (will post during the holiday break) and I don't remember Geno chasing a matchup with his starters.

Reaction Score
Hmmmm.

What are you trying to say? You're not suggesting that "everyone deserves hugs and trophies," are you?

They are part of the team. They bleed husky blue. If they don't, then they'll leave. Even though they aren't playing they certainly bleed blue for their fellow "sisters."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom