UConn at Ohio State 2025 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn at Ohio State 2025

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Although I agree that putting a better product on the field is important to sustaining the program, I think scheduling teams that will excite the fan base is equally important. Not only does it bring the fans in (i.e. Michigan home game) it also helps with recruiting. Even in a loss it increases player exposure on a more national level and that is a great tool to use in recruiting

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Don’t expect many good home games in 2025 because that away schedule is absolutely brutal. As much as I love P5 home and homes and yes they are sexy, we all want to win right?
At Syracuse
At Purdue
At Buffalo
At Army
At Ohio State
That’s just brutal. But I hope that home slate is easier.
Jesus that could be an Ofer

Reaction Score
It's not that exciting to get plastered by Ohio State. The money is nice, but other than that...
College Football fan- “Playing at OSU? Sign me up! Awesome experience. Let’s start planning”
Slasher/Classic Connecticut Resident - “You mean I have to drive across the CT river for something? That sucks, I’m not doing that.”

Reaction Score
Hmmm. No comments or references to conference realignment and pending invite to the B10? I'll check the other board. :D
We're still on their radar.

UMass, however, should merge with Amherst College.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I have run into (literally) many Ohio alum and fans in Charlotte since I relocated here in July. I hated them and their stupid logo long before I moved and even more so now. I hope I am still alive in 2025 to make this trip.I might channel my inner General William T. Sherman when I leave that craphole.

Who's in ???? LOL.

Reaction Score
Don’t expect many good home games in 2025 because that away schedule is absolutely brutal. As much as I love P5 home and homes and yes they are sexy, we all want to win right?
At Syracuse
At Purdue
At Buffalo
At Army
At Ohio State
That’s just brutal. But I hope that home slate is easier.

ughhhh guys, the reason these are scheduled that far out is so that we have 5 years TO RECRUIT A FOOTBALL TEAM TO PLAY THEM.

Someone we sign this year will be a senior making their way into the horseshoe. That's the point.

"Hello recruit X, we went independent because we are willing to play anyone, anywhere, anytime. We are going to the horseshoe, we are going to ann arbor, we are going to ____. That's the culture we are building at UConn. Its unique in the entire country, bla blah blah. wouldn't you rather play that schedule than in the AAC. East Carolina isn't even a state!?"

C'mon. Its the entire idea of going indy. Its audacious, its daring, and it was really our only option so lets go!

Reaction Score
Why? This kind of buy out game has always been available to us (at least since no one had to fear us winning it). We didn't do this often before because we didn't need to.

Look, I'm fine playing a game like this every so often, but it will only be important when and if we've rebounded to the point where we actually have a chance to win the game, as we did when we went to South Bend in '09 or Michigan in '10.

So good news? Sure. But actually change the equation as to whether we can survive and thrive as an Indy? Not even close.
If we stayed in the AAC our basketball brand was shot. The recruits we got for next year signed because they are excited we are in the Big East. In Football we were going no where in the AAC. Much more exciting with the schedule Benedict put together and we are already bringing in much better recruits for Football.

Reaction Score
This is another good get no doubt but keep in mind our home schedule can’t be Central Connecticut, Northern South Dakota, Middle Tennessee and Whatsamatter U with only road games against teams people care about. Somewhere along the line we need to get one or 2 name teams to play us at the Rent or it is going to get old fast. We seem to be able to get home/homes with mid level P5 teams and that’s good. Now we need somebody with a name to come here too.
Liked for Whatsamatter U... love Rocky and Bullwinkle with Fractured Fairy Tales.

Reaction Score
If we stayed in the AAC our basketball brand was shot. The recruits we got for next year signed because they are excited we are in the Big East. In Football we were going no where in the AAC. Much more exciting with the schedule Benedict put together and we are already bringing in much better recruits for Football.

That's a lot of optimism based on ... well, very little actually. Basketball is a red herring -- no one is arguing the move wasn't good for basketball. But what I see is (justifiable) relief that we can even put schedules together in football being praised like we've accomplished something to justify the basketball move. As I said, I'm fine with this game. But taking a pay day that scores of bad teams could have been offered shouldn't in and of itself change anyone's mind as to whether football can survive as an independent.

Reaction Score
That's a lot of optimism based on ... well, very little actually. Basketball is a red herring -- no one is arguing the move wasn't good for basketball. But what I see is (justifiable) relief that we can even put schedules together in football being praised like we've accomplished something to justify the basketball move. As I said, I'm fine with this game. But taking a pay day that scores of bad teams could have been offered shouldn't in and of itself change anyone's mind as to whether football can survive as an independent.

The flaw in your argument, of course is that "scores of bad team" are not the choice of Michigan, Ohio State, and the other P5 schools. Do u not think every team in the AAC isn't trying to get these games?

We ARE landing these games, because we are an independent and have the flexibility of that status as well as a brand name that isn't ECU.

For all the crankys like bizlaw, just scheduling these games validates that the strategy was sound. The games being scheduled IS THE WIN. We are a godawful program that just went independent because our basketball program is our priority. These games show that there is life, and a path to viability, for this program. The games ARE the survival. If we were playing Liberty and UMass and like our big game was a road tilt with Kansas, we were dead. Scheduling the big boys IS the survival.

Until you can make that mental leap and understand how significant it is that our brand wasn't totally wrecked and new independent status was a boon, not an anchor to our prospects, u gonna be cranky

Reaction Score
The flaw in your argument, of course is that "scores of bad team" are not the choice of Michigan, Ohio State, and the other P5 schools. Do u not think every team in the AAC isn't trying to get these games?

We ARE landing these games, because we are an independent and have the flexibility of that status as well as a brand name that isn't ECU.

For all the crankys like bizlaw, just scheduling these games validates that the strategy was sound. The games being scheduled IS THE WIN. We are a godawful program that just went independent because our basketball program is our priority. These games show that there is life, and a path to viability, for this program. The games ARE the survival. If we were playing Liberty and UMass and like our big game was a road tilt with Kansas, we were dead. Scheduling the big boys IS the survival.

Until you can make that mental leap and understand how significant it is that our brand wasn't totally wrecked and new independent status was a boon, not an anchor to our prospects, u gonna be cranky
If I could like this a 100X, I would.
Those who can't get excited about this or look at it as a "well, but . . ." situation must be great at parties.

Reaction Score
When the contract is away with no return...the number of teams willing to take that contract is diminished. It usually is a straight pay day opportunity. Teams that need the money and can't wangle a return game will take it.

It really is about the big guys buying a home opponent....

Nearly $200 million will be spent in 2019 on guarantee games, as they’re known in the industry. The bigger school pays a lesser opponent to guarantee a win. The highest payout this season is $1,937,500, which Auburn paid Tulane in Week 2 for a 24-6 victory.

When Miami of Ohio’s buses pull away from Ohio Stadium about 8 p.m., the Redhawks will have a $1.3 million check in hand. Altogether, Ohio State is shelling out more than $3 million to its three non-conference opponents. It might sound like a large sum of money, but for college football guarantee games, it’s par for the course.

These games with high profile teams are both an opportunity and a danger for the Huskies.

Play well and the world notices...get smacked down and you might join the cream puffs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I attack nobody here just comments on the comments. ;)

I'm honestly more excited that we've been successful in getting some home and homes with lower level p5's and upper level g5's (Purdue, Fresno State, etc) than I am with these buy games.

While I understand what you like and I am a Season ticket holders one also has to understand it's also about $$$$.
That game alone not only covers the season for travel but is a recruiting tool and a relationship development for football and other sports.

Somewhere along the line we need to get one or 2 name teams to play us at the Rent or it is going to get old fast.
Could not agree more, I am hanging in but the home schedules are not something that will draw the masses.

I don't get all the excitement. It's not that hard to get a buy game at a big program.
Me neither, you only have to buy a ticket to win millions in the lottery, why get excited if you win?
How about another ray of sunshine for a program that needs one?

Great. We are now officially a cupcake that plays for big dollars, in reward for showing up to get pounded.
Oh you of little faith. Lets see what a few years of development bring.

The game isn't for another 5 1/2 years.
BINGO! But stop with the Readers Digest print please. :D

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This is good for the program and recruiting down the road
What HS kid who can't play in the B10 not want to play at Ohio State?
For the life of me I still don't get all the hating on the AAC - for football - its a strong conference
Maybe its just the basketball only dolts making those comments

Reaction Score
Don't see how anyone would be negative about this. If the only decent games we had scheduled were buy games it would be one thing, but that's not the case. We've literally done everything scheduling wise since going independent we said we were going to do and could hope to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom