UConn at Ohio State 2025 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn at Ohio State 2025

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I fail to see how a 63-3 loss in Columbus helps our cause.

I get your point...you want to be more than the Washington Generals..... brought to the court and paid to play the Globetrotters...

You want to be seen as real competition.

A better football team can accomplish that...and there are five seasons to go, before the game, in which to become more competitive.

Maybe not win the game, but have a respectable showing.

Reaction Score
UConn stealing a nice sum of +/-$1.8M

edit: $1.95M... sweet!

This is a plus for the financial aspects of the football program. I would think we cover travel costs, is that correct? Any idea what our expected net will be? It beats losing to Tulsa by 30 at home.

Reaction Score
Agreed - I Find it hysterical people think players will get “beat up”. I think the score will likely be 60-0 in the third quarter but the players won’t be literally beat up.

By then OSU is on the down swing and we will be trending up. We will lose 48-20.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
If you have watched anything about OSU football lately in regards to their new coach and their incoming recruits, OSU isn't going anywhere. Still well worth the experience though to watch them in the Shoe.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yeah this thread is about Ohio State, but whenever these announcements come out I am compelled to dump in my latest machination to fill that four game hole we have in 2021.

So my new idea (and I acknowledge there are hundreds of possibilities) to fill those four missing games for 2021. Lets break up the 9/18 Coastal Carolina at Buffalo game. Coastal can come here 10/16 and we can go to Buffalo on 10/2. Add the Wyoming home game as 11/7 and push Holy Cross to 11/1. This would leave us with just one more game to pencil with open dates of 9/27, 10/30 and 11/27 to choose from....and hopefully you can get it with a new H&H - although I can't find any FBS programs with open dates for 2021.

The longer we wait on fixing the 2021 hole the more I think it might be tied to a November game at Yankee with a marquee opponent (how about BYU?).

Our renewed four game series with Buffalo doesn't start until 2024. I can't imagine Coastal Carolina views a visit to Buffalo to be any different than a visit to UConn. Buffalo gets us for a replacement which is a decent swap.

Thinking about this more, the key here to filling 2021 is to find a G5 school that has multiple P5 games to see if they are willing to weaken their schedule. That was the angle to unlock ODU/UNC and Ole Miss/MT for 2020. ODU has three P5 games scheduled, so we persuaded them to soften their schedule and let us break up one of those game. Looking around, I see a couple of the MAC schools have two or three P5 games scheduled, I would looking there it get something done.

Otherwise, correct me if I am wrong, but there are no FBS programs with open dates in 2021 if you assume the remaining programs with open dates fill their slot with the customary FCS game aside from Wyoming. I believe the situation is that we have to break up games.

Reaction Score
Games like OSU helps with recruiting better prospects who want a shot to show they can hang with the big boys when they are looked over. The Indy schedule with quality competition plus an OSU is different from mid-tier/low tier crap conferences that have a sacrificial lamb game for $$. I think these things help a lot in the area where suffer the most- recruiting talent.

Reaction Score
3. We will have an equivalent ACC/Big10 schedule for the near term future. That is better for fan experience and butts in seats.

I'm happy we left the AAC. But no we won't.

The ACC/BIG don't play the majority of their P5 opponents on the road.

We should be able to get 1-2 P5 opponents at home every year. But that's not terribly different from our time in the AAC. If we can get 3-4 that's fantastic, but even still not the "equivalent" of an ACC/BIG schedule.

I believe we have 6 P5 home games over the next 4 years. An ACC/BIG schedule would have roughly 24 P5 home games over the next 4 years. Not even close to equivalent.

Edit..

We have 6 P5 home games over the next 4 seasons. But only a total of 9 through 2027 with 0 P5 home games (as of today, we should get 1-2) for 2024 and 2025.

I don't want to go back to the AAC, but it isn't close. We won't have an equivalent P5 schedule.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't get all the excitement.
If you were the AD running an athletic program bleeding cash, this type of game is more than exciting, it’s therapeutic. Assuming we’re back to traveling, these games will be incredibly attractive to our fans and recruits.

Reaction Score
I'm happy we left the AAC. But no we won't.

The ACC/BIG don't play the majority of their P5 opponents on the road.

We should be able to get 1-2 P5 opponents at home every year. But that's not terribly different from our time in the AAC. If we can get 3-4 that's fantastic, but even still not the "equivalent" of an ACC/BIG schedule.

I believe we have 6 P5 home games over the next 4 years. An ACC/BIG schedule would have roughly 24 P5 home games over the next 4 years. Not even close to equivalent.

Edit..

We have 6 P5 home games over the next 4 seasons. But only a total of 9 through 2027 with 0 P5 home games (as of today, we should get 1-2) for 2024 and 2025.

I don't want to go back to the AAC, but it isn't close. We won't have an equivalent P5 schedule.
And don’t forget we are really unlikely to get a ranked opponent at home. We have had Houston, Central Florida, Memphis maybe one or two more in AAC days. I do get that people like playing names rather than quality though. And it is possible that we catch lightening in a bottle and an Indiana or NC State or somebody comes in ranked. But I think it is way more of a crap shoot. On the other hand if we were to win 9-10 games we could be considered for a 20-25 sometime too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t agree that it’s the end of UConn football. Not at all. However these type of games don’t indicate anything on success of independence other than it can be a moneymaker. But that, for a school like UConn, May involve a lot of losing. That 2025 away schedule has Purdue Syracuse and Ohio State on it. Which is fine, if you’re BYU. But idk about us. That’s 3 Ls as of right now.
I think what the buy games say is that the athletic department it’s working to be able to come to at least break even on football. That’s an indicator that they are intent on keeping the program viable. Not a huge indicator, but an indicator.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the schedule. I think Benedict is doing pretty good work on it. As with all things, time will tell, but the move to the Big East seems to be a net positive in a lot of ways. It certainly is going to be a plus for men’s basketball and most Olympic sports. If it ends up being a plus for football, and I kind of think it may, then it was a slam dunk decision.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
And don’t forget we are really unlikely to get a ranked opponent at home. We have had Houston, Central Florida, Memphis maybe one or two more in AAC days. I do get that people like playing names rather than quality though. And it is possible that we catch lightening in a bottle and an Indiana or NC State or somebody comes in ranked. But I think it is way more of a crap shoot. On the other hand if we were to win 9-10 games we could be considered for a 20-25 sometime too.
How much energy did those ranked opponents generate? How much energy did Michigan generate? I think it’s more important for us, right now, to have brand names come to the Rent. It will get fans in the seats, even if many of them will be opposing fans, and give the illusion that we are more relevant than we actually are, at least right now.

Reaction Score
Why? This kind of buy out game has always been available to us (at least since no one had to fear us winning it). We didn't do this often before because we didn't need to.

Look, I'm fine playing a game like this every so often, but it will only be important when and if we've rebounded to the point where we actually have a chance to win the game, as we did when we went to South Bend in '09 or Michigan in '10.

So good news? Sure. But actually change the equation as to whether we can survive and thrive as an Indy? Not even close.
Well maybe the payout from OSU helps us survive?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
How much energy did those ranked opponents generate? How much energy did Michigan generate? I think it’s more important for us, right now, to have brand names come to the Rent. It will get fans in the seats, even if many of them will be opposing fans, and give the illusion that we are more relevant than we actually are, at least right now.

P5 teams coming to the Rent is mostly out of our hands. It has to not interfere with conference schedules, not reduce the number of home games for the opponent, and provide some benefit to the opponent such as $$$, or filling one or more of there home dates at a cost/ticket sales calculation that is more attractive than the alternatives.

Having the flexibility of a independent vs. a limited pool of viable opponents depending on which week you are trying to schedule. A pre-rivalry SEC buy game away...cha-ching. Filling seats at BC/Cuse/Rutgers...OK but you have to come here as well. ACC's 15 team oddball scheduling...Sure we could use the road win, we'll come to EH if you cover our costs or we'll give you a return game if we do the same.

Dave can also call in a couple of favors with schools that see all non-national TV OOC games are the same, but they won't be home games.

This is how it's played out so far. I agree Dave has done an excellent job on getting good games. The home slate will take a little longer but it has plenty of regional rivals and ACC teams which is what we would expect. Getting on multiple teams outlying schedule is the next step. We had two Big Ten teams on the schedule, one each H/A when we only had 4 OOC games. Get that to 6 with 3H/3A and I think that's reasonable. Fill the other 6 with Independents/G5/FCS. Depending on who the G5's are that is inline with a P5 schedule assuming one of the road games is a heavyweight. Clemson and OSU fit that bill.

The challenge will be opponent scheduling fatigue (sorry, we don't want to play you 3 times in 10 years) and being non-competitive. No one wants to deliberately schedule a Marathon Oil type team that would hurt the gate. These schools still want people to show up an buy concessions.

Reaction Score
Precisely my point. A large group would rather see mid-tier names brands than very good to excellent teams. Not much different than hoop fans actually. They talk about renewing rivalries with St Johns and Providence and Georgetown as if those were nationally relevant teams when the reality is they haven’t been in 40 years(PC) or at least 15-20 for 5he other 2. Oh sure they make the occasional NCAA but none Have made a significant run since the first Bush administration.

Reaction Score
Oh, we need to shut down the program! We're going to lose every game against the P5!

I hope this message board doesn't have too many real-life executives behind this mentality.

Reaction Score
Operative quote in the above posted article...

“Everybody wants seven,” Purdue AD Mike Bobinski said. “So you have a math equation here. If everybody wants seven, you’ve gotta reach outside the community of Power Five FBS schools to get that, because you’ve gotta have seven [home] games.”

Reaction Score
Not quite accurate, we have 25 or so p5 scheduled out to "27 with 2 home games that year and other home games sprinkled thru out. I do agree that's not a p5 schedule.
What's inaccurate? I was talking about home games. We have 1-2 home games against P5 teams per year (maximum). That's not even close to resembling a P5 schedule.

And if you want to talk about total games, as of today here are the total P5 games on the schedule through 2027 for UConn and a few examples:

Purdue - 84
Va Tech - 77
WVU - 85

UConn - 25

Reaction Score
Ranked or unranked, nobody really cared about playing those programs. The program was so bad, nobody is showing up for Memphis just because there's a #18 next to their name.

CL82

Reaction Score
What's inaccurate? I was talking about home games. We have 1-2 home games against P5 teams per year (maximum). That's not even close to resembling a P5 schedule.

And if you want to talk about total games, as of today here are the total P5 games on the schedule through 2027 for UConn and a few examples:

Purdue - 84
Va Tech - 77
WVU - 85

UConn - 25
That's a great comparison and very informative. Wow, we really should join a P5 conference! You should email AD Dave with that suggestion.

Reaction Score
That's a great comparison and very informative. Wow, we really should join a P5 conference! You should email AD Dave with that suggestion.
WT@F are you talking about?

I had written a longer response, but deleted it.

Go back and read my posts in this thread and then explain your ridiculous post.

CL82

Reaction Score
WT@F are you talking about?

I had written a longer response, but deleted it.

Go back and read my posts in this thread and then explain your ridiculous post.
You compared the number of our scheduled home P5 games beginning in the first year of independence through 2027 to the scheduled home games of three teams in P5 conferences. It's not really much of shock that the P5 teams have more P5 home games is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom