UConn Approves Plans For New Ice Hockey Arena | The Boneyard

UConn Approves Plans For New Ice Hockey Arena

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Build a proper sized arena damn it! Morans! Politicians do so much damage to this university with this nonsense.

Reaction Score
This is where the AD needs to step in and step up. Something like this is embarrassing for a large state University. It seems everything they build is at a bare minimum. Hopefully some donors will help out but I don't see that happening.

Reaction Score
I'd be stunned if UConn thinks it will help them get a Big 10 invite with this current plan. Even the new soccer stadium is smaller than the current facility. Don't know what else to say.

Reaction Score
Basically what UConn is saying is that they do not want to compete for Hockey East or National Championships in Hockey. They want to remain "small time". This smells of politicians sticking there noses where they don't belong.

“College Hockey will Save Hartford!” Is very on-brand for Connecticut

Reaction Score
Absurd idea.
Safe to say the clock is ticking on Cavanaugh moving on to another school. This move is all about $$ and lack there of.. nothing more/nothing less. I truely hope here is a contingency plan cause that dump they play in in Hartford is on life support and there is a hand on the plug. Still trying to figure out how 2500 seats and meeting Hockey East membership rules As stated in Courant article add up. HE was VERY clear to UConn they needed 4500 minimum when they agreed to join.

Reaction Score
Safe to say the clock is ticking on Cavanaugh moving on to another school. This move is all about $$ and lack there of.. nothing more/nothing less. I truely hope here is a contingency plan cause that dump they play in in Hartford is on life support and there is a hand on the plug. Still trying to figure out how 2500 seats and meeting Hockey East membership rules As stated in Courant article add up. HE was VERY clear to UConn they needed 4500 minimum when they agreed to join.

Doesn' t this address the Hockey East questions?

>>With the construction of an entirely new arena in the works, UConn’s start date was pushed back and the conference was informed. UConn also submitted a request to the conference to allow for 2,500 seats instead of 4,000, which was approved in September.<<

>>“We wanted to more or less get a commitment from the Board of Trustees today to this smaller scope,” Jordan said. “We wanted to be on the record. Hockey East was accommodating to us. This vote is us saying back to Hockey East, thank you. We will proceed.”<<

Now if someone wants to write a BIG check, I'm sure they can jiggle more seats into the new building.

Reaction Score

>>With the construction of an entirely new arena in the works, UConn’s start date was pushed back and the conference was informed. UConn also submitted a request to the conference to allow for 2,500 seats instead of 4,000, which was approved in September.<<

>>“We wanted to more or less get a commitment from the Board of Trustees today to this smaller scope,” Jordan said. “We wanted to be on the record. Hockey East was accommodating to us. This vote is us saying back to Hockey East, thank you. We will proceed.”<<

Now if someone wants to write a BIG check, I'm sure they can jiggle more seats into the new building.

No question about it, a clear lack of money has lead to this decision. Disappointing, but that's the way it is.

Reaction Score

Like I said in my post...this has to do with $$ nothing more nothing less. As for missing the waiver from HE for the seating capacity...it was hard reading and typing in traffic on the Hutch...LMFAO

Reaction Score
As for missing the waiver from HE for the seating capacity...it was hard reading and typing in traffic on the Hutch...LMFAO

Nice example to set :p At least you didn’t need a submarine tonight.

Reaction Score

The state was never going to let UConn build anything that would threaten Hartford.

Agreed about the state wanting to keep UConn hockey in Hartford. The problem is, as @FDNY99 wrote, the clock on the decaying XL Center is ticking and sooner or later the plug could get pulled on the place. At that point UConn ice hockey doesn't have a lot of options.

Reaction Score
While not really excited about this plan, the thought was to get something approved and design started. It will be built with capability to expand & be able to do so even while in the planning stages. My concern is that many times what we start with is what we end with.The political mess with the XL is a definite complication that has to be overcome.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
No question about it, a clear lack of money has lead to this decision. Disappointing, but that's the way it is.

Well then how about we build EITHER a soccer or hockey arena that is to intelligent specs rather than building two facilities that are both insufficient lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom