UConn and UNLV to the Big 12? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn and UNLV to the Big 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Evidently OP thinks Mick Cronin is the real prize and the B-12 will take whatever school is signing his paycheck. You can't make this stuff up.

Yeah seriously. The guy who is allergic to winning games in March is somehow going to drive a billion dollar decision.

Ok...

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
UNLV isn't the flagship school in Nevada, that would be University of Nevada Reno (known as just Nevada in athletics).

Wanna piss off a Nevada fan? Refer to them as "Reno," as UNLV fans do.

Every time they play in Las Vegas, UNLV makes it a point to only announce them as "Reno" or at the very least, UNR. Never Nevada.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Wanna piss off a Nevada fan? Refer to them as "Reno," as UNLV fans do.

Every time they play in Las Vegas, UNLV makes it a point to only announce them as "Reno" or at the very least, UNR. Never Nevada.
it takes more than that to piss us off. Go Pack. Just picked up my Tix for our CBI semifinal game against Vermont tomorrow. Hey, it's better than nothing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Cronin wants to go to UNLV because he can coach but can't recruit. UNLV has a history of getting top recruits even if the coach sucks; Cincy is harder to recruit to. UNLV is willing to pay up for a guy who can coach; Cronin is hoping Las Vegas can do his recruiting for him.

It has nothing to do with realignment.
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Or does it?

Reaction Score
Shizzle sounds like a kid so maybe we should go easy on him.

Mick can coach. He's beat us more times than I care to look up the numbers on. UNLV has a certain moral flexibility with incoming students that might be a good fit for the angry little man. He could thrive in such a set up and the stress is a lot less, with his known health issues. Interesting - not the B12 part though.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
if you put 20 years on Cronin and give him a white towel- he will be Jerry Tarkanian's clone. Instead of the Shark all over the Thomas and Mack Center, it will be the angry midget!! :D

Reaction Score
Shizzle sounds like a kid so maybe we should go easy on him.

Mick can coach. He's beat us more times than I care to look up the numbers on. UNLV has a certain moral flexibility with incoming students that might be a good fit for the angry little man. He could thrive in such a set up and the stress is a lot less, with his known health issues. Interesting - not the B12 part though.

As Mick Cronin once said when Napier beat out Kilpatrick for league MVP, real MVPs are made in March.

Cronin's record at Cincy in conference tournaments and in the NCAA's is atrocious. We aren't talking Jim Boeheim get close and fail bad, this is not make it out of the first weekend bad.

Cincy last won a conference title 12 years and two leagues ago.

If you are happy with 19-22 regular season wins a year and early exits in March, Mick is your guy.

Reaction Score
We laugh at UNLV for all the same reasons people used to laugh at UConn.
UNLV has long term potential for all the same reasons UConn has long term potential.
It's one of the few remaining flagships, and could really get somewhere in 10 years if it wanted to.

Is UNLV considered the flagship for Nevada or is U Nevada (Reno) the flagship? I always thought that Reno was. Could also be a 'dual' flagship like Cal and UCLA.

Reaction Score
Is UNLV considered the flagship for Nevada or is U Nevada (Reno) the flagship? I always thought that Reno was. Could also be a 'dual' flagship like Cal and UCLA.

Wikipedia classifies Reno as the Flag Ship and a land grant university. UNLV is classified as neither and when you look at the discrepancy in endowment - Reno nearly 1/3 larger - it makes sense.

Reaction Score
As Mick Cronin once said when Napier beat out Kilpatrick for league MVP, real MVPs are made in March.

Cronin's record at Cincy in conference tournaments and in the NCAA's is atrocious. We aren't talking Jim Boeheim get close and fail bad, this is not make it out of the first weekend bad.

Cincy last won a conference title 12 years and two leagues ago.

If you are happy with 19-22 regular season wins a year and early exits in March, Mick is your guy.

That's not accurate, Cincy won the league title with Louisville the last and only year Louisville was in the league.

Reaction Score
That's not accurate, Cincy won the league title with Louisville the last and only year Louisville was in the league.

Oh I see you are one of those folks who put a lot of value in regular season conference titles and shared ones at that.

I don't remember the last time the NCAA gave out a trophy to the school with the best regular season record, but hey everyone loves a good participation ribbon.

Reaction Score
Oh I see you are one of those folks who put a lot of value in regular season conference titles and shared ones at that.

I don't remember the last time the NCAA gave out a trophy to the school with the best regular season record, but hey everyone loves a good participation ribbon.

I don't think I said that. You flatly stated "league title." A regular season title is a "league title." Have some coffee.

Reaction Score
I don't think I said that. You flatly stated "league title." A regular season title is a "league title." Have some coffee.

A league title is winning a conference tournament. That's why the NCAA gives auto-bids to conference tournament champions and makes them the league representative. Being the best regular season team in a conference is nice, but only in that it gives you the inside track to the tournament which is where the league title is awarded.

Also, my point is that he was allergic to winning in March. So I am not sure how pointing to 1 shared regular season first place finish in 10 years at Cincy is a strong refute of my original point.

Reaction Score
UNLV isn't the flagship school in Nevada, that would be University of Nevada Reno (known as just Nevada in athletics).

It's part of the UN system along with Nevada.

That is true now, but UNLV has been rapdily overtaking Reno since it separated from Reno in the sixties. Reno has been around much much longer and doesn't have as much to show for its time as UNLV.

Reaction Score
A league title is winning a conference tournament. That's why the NCAA gives auto-bids to conference tournament champions and makes them the league representative. Being the best regular season team in a conference is nice, but only in that it gives you the inside track to the tournament which is where the league title is awarded.

Also, my point is that he was allergic to winning in March. So I am not sure how pointing to 1 shared regular season first place finish in 10 years at Cincy is a strong refute of my original point.

Actually I believe each conference made the choice if they wanted to send the regular season or tournament champion. The NCAA has never required that either must be a conferences representative. It just happens that except for the Ivy League all have declared their tournament champion will be their auto-bid. The Ivy will go to a tournament champion next year I think. Anyway my understanding is that it was left up to the conferences. Your point is still valid, just not because the NCAA says so. : )

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that the NCAA offers the auto bid to the conference tournament champion if that conference holds a tournament. The conference itself can call as many teams as it wants champion but only one gets recognition from the NCAA (by getting an auto-bid to their tournament).

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that the NCAA offers the auto bid to the conference tournament champion if that conference holds a tournament. The conference itself can call as many teams as it wants champion but only one gets recognition from the NCAA (by getting an auto-bid to their tournament).
I'm just going by what Kenny Smith said during this years tournament coverage...if he was wrong ok.

Reaction Score

This is absolute nonsense. By any reasonable parlance, winning your league's regular season title is a "league title." It's far more representative of a team's quality than their performance in a single-elimination tournament. An the reason the NCAA gives auto-bids for conference tournaments is because they want people to watch conference tournaments.

Reaction Score
Hand writing is on the wall for Cronin. Cincy headed for B12. With that comes 2o-25 million increase in revenue. The can now hire a top notch / name coach. Just like Rutgers just did. P-5 programs find a coach they like and lure them away. Non P-5 teams takes what is available.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is absolute nonsense. By any reasonable parlance, winning your league's regular season title is a "league title."

Exactly. UConn has two D-1 League titles in FB and we think of them as more than participation ribbons.

Reaction Score
Hand writing is on the wall for Cronin. Cincy headed for B12. With that comes 2o-25 million increase in revenue. The can now hire a top notch / name coach. Just like Rutgers just did. P-5 programs find a coach they like and lure them away. Non P-5 teams takes what is available.
What the hell are you talking about?

Reaction Score
Stay away from the keyboard when you drink...we used to have a guy here that made posts like this...his name was HFD.

Reaction Score
Exactly. UConn has two D-1 League titles in FB and we think of them as more than participation ribbons.

I only count one league title in football. Shared titles mean nothing if you don't get the BCS bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom