UConn and UNLV to the Big 12? | The Boneyard

UConn and UNLV to the Big 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Given the recent news of Cronin possibly departing for UNLV, Mendenhall leaving BYU, Fuentes leaving Memphis, and Dixon (although he is an alum) mysteriously joining TCU, is it possible that BYU is being overlooked (due to various over-discussed reasons), and the two best brands on the table (UConn and UNLV) are now being considered?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Possible, I guess, likely, probably not, but you get a like for any conspiracy theory that results in UConn to a P5 conference.

Reaction Score
Is this coming out of the WV tweeters??? Actually this is more believable than the stuff coming out of WV....plus it does not end in the ACC's full demise so its cannot be moonshine based

I tend to think this mean UL is also moving to the Big12 with UNLV since they are not passing up an opportunity for access to Vegas caliber strippers and hookers. At Louisville this could be the difference between top 20 class and a top 5 class.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Given the recent news of Cronin possibly departing for UNLV, Mendenhall leaving BYU, Fuentes leaving Memphis, and Dixon (although he is an alum) mysteriously joining TCU, is it possible that BYU is being overlooked (due to various over-discussed reasons), and the two best brands on the table (UConn and UNLV) are now being considered?

Do not start another thread.

Tell me you understand.

Reaction Score
I'm not the best poster on this board by any stretch but my goodness this dude comes up with the dumbest stuff and goes "hmmmm yup the internet needs this." Like really what kinda response do you hope for when you post stuff like this?

Reaction Score
Do not start another thread.

Tell me you understand.

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Don't forget you heard it here first. He has one of the right teams and two of the three right conferences. My source says that it is actaully 3 teams to Big 12, Hawaii, Uconn and Alabama. Bama is really tired of beating all of the same teams and having that pesky competitive championship game. Bama knows that in the Big 12 they have a clear path to the playoff annually. Plus they will get their own network that puts 100% of their games on national TV and Bevo is giving them 25% of their network Gross, not the net. They needed Uconn because Saban's wife loves fall foliage and Hawaii is added because she loves going to Hawaii in November. UNLV is out because, well, let's just say she likes to hit on 18 a little too much.

My source is my dog in case you are wondering. No, really, she is very smart. Never craps in the house and knows what cabinet the cookies are in. Very reliable about these things.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've never posted on this board and promised myself I never would. But this thread has to be the all time winner of obsurdity. UNLV?!
Yeah we all tell ourselves that at first...welcome aboard.

pj

Reaction Score
Cronin wants to go to UNLV because he can coach but can't recruit. UNLV has a history of getting top recruits even if the coach sucks; Cincy is harder to recruit to. UNLV is willing to pay up for a guy who can coach; Cronin is hoping Las Vegas can do his recruiting for him.

It has nothing to do with realignment.

Reaction Score
Cronin wants to go to UNLV because he can coach but can't recruit. UNLV has a history of getting top recruits even if the coach sucks; Cincy is harder to recruit to. UNLV is willing to pay up for a guy who can coach; Cronin is hoping Las Vegas can do his recruiting for him.

You think Mick Cronin can coach?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Vegas will also support that team pretty well if they can get back on track. It's not a bad job at all.

Reaction Score
We laugh at UNLV for all the same reasons people used to laugh at UConn.
UNLV has long term potential for all the same reasons UConn has long term potential.
It's one of the few remaining flagships, and could really get somewhere in 10 years if it wanted to.

Reaction Score
UNLV has long term potential for all the same reasons UConn has long term potential.
It's one of the few remaining flagships, and could really get somewhere in 10 years if it wanted to.

UNLV isn't the flagship school in Nevada, that would be University of Nevada Reno (known as just Nevada in athletics).

It's part of the UN system along with Nevada.

pj

Reaction Score

Significant differences:
- Nevada's population is smaller than Connecticut's.
- Nevada's loyalties are split between two state schools.
- Las Vegas doesn't have NYC and Boston within 2 hours.
- Las Vegas is more likely to shrink than grow due to looming water shortages.
- If Las Vegas does grow, it will be with Hispanics who have limited interest in college basketball.

Reaction Score
I'm not the best poster on this board by any stretch but my goodness this dude comes up with the dumbest stuff and goes "hmmmm yup the internet needs this." Like really what kinda response do you hope for when you post stuff like this?

The funny thing is ...

We (* BE evolving into the AAC) started becoming the National League taking in San Diego State and Boise ... and talking Fresno. Eventually we'd had have to go to UNLV. Debunked. I think someone thought there might be value in Football and Basketball with all these Name Cities having franchises. Flatlined. While Swofford and Delaney (now with RU on his resume) aren't perfect in their concept, they had the basics right and it came with their Money Partner.

Reaction Score
Significant differences:
- Nevada's population is smaller than Connecticut's.
- Nevada's loyalties are split between two state schools.
- Las Vegas doesn't have NYC and Boston within 2 hours.
- Las Vegas is more likely to shrink than grow due to looming water shortages.
- If Las Vegas does grow, it will be with Hispanics who have limited interest in college basketball.

He's also just flat out wrong about UNLV. UNLV's public but that's where the similarities end.

Nevada-Reno is the state flagship and a land grant university. UNLV is neither of those things.

Nevada's endowment is over $306 million, UNLV's is $227 million.

UNLV has Vegas, but by every other metric Nevada fits the P5 model better - including having a much stronger football program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom