UCONN and the MAC. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN and the MAC.

Reaction Score
I am for this move, but which MAC teams could we beat this year?

We would have the best stadium, best facilities and best brand in the MAC. Join first and let the rebuilding begin.

For anyone wondering if the MAC would turn us down, please realize it would be ESPN's decision. ESPN might want us for ESPN+ subscriptions or maybe they hate us so bad they wouldn't even help us here, but it would be ESPN's decision.

Reaction Score
If we ask the MAC, might a well just call the Mountain West and ask to join football only. We already play some of those teams and it would give a Noon slot which should help the mw cable deal.
Agreed. If it’s football only Geography means nothing. In all seriousness we might just tag along with Oregon St and Washington St and see what they do.

Reaction Score
I would go to more games if we were in the mac.. but i am retired so weekday games won’t matter..i like the idea of playing for something, and we should be competitive with the teams in the mac… I bring me grandchildren to games because i want them to grow up to be uconn fans so I don’t want to go games we don’t have a chance of winning .. hearing season ticket holders who would stop going to games if we joined the mac gives me pause… we can’t lose any fans..

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Agreed. If it’s football only Geography means nothing. In all seriousness we might just tag along with Oregon St and Washington St and see what they do.
Honestly let's say those two go to the MWC. If the MWC will take us, that'd be a nice place to park football. Plus it'd give that conference some bigger name schools and a NY/northeast presence. Could work. And if we had to play a couple basketball games against SDSU, UNLV, or New Mexico, then alright.

Reaction Score
F. No.

1) Our current schedule is better
2) We don't play mid week
3) Anyone arguing our football fanbase will be jazzed up by playing directional midwestern schools (and Buffalo) needs their head examined.

As a Season ticket holders, this would be the end for me.
If MAC football gives us more money, we go mac football.

Fans don’t want MAC. Then buy tickets and go.

Reaction Score
The MAC was in the Northeast when UMass was a FB-only member. The MAC ended that arrangement, so it wasnt all that valuable.
We don't know how much value being in the Northeast brought to the MAC back in 2015 or how much its members benefited. At that time there was the P5 and G5 and that was that. UMass wouldn't go all in so it was dismissed. The MAC was probably rated higher than the Sun Belt and C-USA. Now it's in last place. The MAC lives entirely in the shadow of the B1G and only the ACC has a presence in New England. Seems like a clear opportunity to expand where no other G5 conference has a presence. Add 2 or 3 programs on the coast, rebrand and get rid of "mid" and who knows.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
If MAC football gives us more money, we go mac football.

Fans don’t want MAC. Then buy tickets and go.
...but they likely wont. Explaining the MAC's New ESPN Deal

Since then, Brett McMurphy of ESPN (and several others) have reported that this 13-year deal with ESPN is worth more than $100 million, or roughly about $8 million a season. That factors out to about $670,000 per school, per season, a big improvement over the roughly $120,000 each school received under the previous $1.4 million a year deal, a nearly 500 percent increase in annual payouts.

We would probably have to double our existing CBSSN payout (~500k/yr as memory serves) to even offset some of the torpedoing of our ticket sales. Mind you, as well, that the 670k / school from the MAC contract is for all sports - i doubt our conference bretheren would be thrilled about us getting anywhere in the vicinity of a full share for football-only.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Honestly let's say those two go to the MWC. If the MWC will take us, that'd be a nice place to park football. Plus it'd give that conference some bigger name schools and a NY/northeast presence. Could work. And if we had to play a couple basketball games against SDSU, UNLV, or New Mexico, then alright.
Agreed - would much rather be in the MWC. They are already at 12 (perhaps 14 with the addition of OSU/WSU), so to get to 16 we would need need to perhaps drag the crapfest that is UMass with us.

No idea why the MWC would want the two of us, though…

Reaction Score
Agreed - would much rather be in the MWC. They are already at 12 (perhaps 14 with the addition of OSU/WSU), so to get to 16 we would need need to perhaps drag the crapfest that is UMass with us.

Not much, but we could offer noon football, which MWC can't really do (unless there teams want to play 10AM / 9AM games every weekend). Plus we could do a 50% shares (still more then independent) and then maybe MWC can go to Zags and give them the other 50% to boost basketball. Also based on how leagues are going, people are getting rid of East / West division, so they can go uneven with rivalry games (OSUvsWSU / CSU vs / Nev vs UNLV / ect). Of course we would not have a rivalry game. It wont happen but it could work.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Not much, but we could offer noon football, which MWC can't really do (unless there teams want to play 10AM / 9AM games every weekend). Plus we could do a 50% shares (still more then independent) and then maybe MWC can go to Zags and give them the other 50% to boost basketball. Also based on how leagues are going, people are getting rid of East / West division, so they can go uneven with rivalry games (OSUvsWSU / CSU vs / Nev vs UNLV / ect). Of course we would not have a rivalry game. It wont happen but it could work.

This has much more positive going for it, compared to the completely useless MAC and CUSA takes.

1) MW pays 4M / school. There is wiggle to help us on the financial end.
2) None of the midweek throwaway games
3) Especially if they end up adding the PAC leftovers, this is better football.
4) No streaming only nonsense - did everyone forget how bad the FIU game looked last year?

Reaction Score
From a financial standpoint, the only option which moves the needle is an invite from a power conference. All of these G5 options provide solutions for scheduling and bowl invites, but won’t solve our financial woes.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score

I don't know why they would want UMass but I do think we have something to sell to them. No idea who you'd pair with us though. Temple? Nah. Buffalo? Doubt it. App State is in some mountains... if we're still pretending conference names matter at all.

Reaction Score
Honestly I think UConn should be talking to Oregon ST and Warrington ST to see if we set up some kind of affiliation. It is the best chance we got staying revelant while getting a decent media deal. We should be talking to them to see if we can set up something for all of us for their next media deal.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Honestly I think UConn should be talking to Oregon ST and Warrington ST to see if we set up some kind of affiliation. It is the best chance we got staying revelant while getting a decent media deal. We should be talking to them to see if we can set up something for all of us for their next media deal.
10000000%. Agree to an alternating basketball H/H if you need to and sign a long contract for football home and homes during the same period. Honestly I know we are competitively way behind OSU and WSU but with us having the CBSSN deal we can offer them games guaranteed to be on TV in an East Coast time window that they should win.. this makes too much sense

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Going to the MAC would kill the hoop programs.

Reaction Score
I don't know why they would want UMass but I do think we have something to sell to them. No idea who you'd pair with us though. Temple? Nah. Buffalo? Doubt it. App State is in some mountains... if we're still pretending conference names matter at all.
Well we do have the Appalachian Trail in CT. And ski jumping.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well we do have the Appalachian Trail in CT. And ski jumping.

Lol, we barely have the Appalachian trail in Connecticut it just nips the north west corner!

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
F. No.

1) Our current schedule is better
2) We don't play mid week
3) Anyone arguing our football fanbase will be jazzed up by playing directional midwestern schools (and Buffalo) needs their head examined.

As a Season ticket holders, this would be the end for me.
Then you are not a real fan of the program.

We need to be in a conference for football to survive. Mora has made that clear. The only two independent schools (ND doesn't count since they have ACC affiliation) are also the two worst FBS programs: us and UMass. Things will only get worse due to NIL and P5 to P4. Schools will have less room to schedule out of conference, and we are not an attractive out of conference opponent.

The dissolution of the PAC and the NIL decision were the iceberg that hit the independence ship. We are taking on water and sinking is a matter of time. We need a conference lifeboat now.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Then you are not a real fan of the program.

We need to be in a conference for football to survive. Mora has made that clear. The only two independent schools (ND doesn't count since they have ACC affiliation) are also the two worst FBS programs: us and UMass. Things will only get worse due to NIL and P5 to P4. Schools will have less room to schedule out of conference, and we are not an attractive out of conference opponent.

The dissolution of the PAC and the NIL decision were the iceberg that hit the independence ship. We are taking on water and sinking is a matter of time. We need a conference lifeboat now.

It's one thing if our hand is forced. We are not there yet.

We need football revenue to survive as much, or more, than the competitive points Coach Mora is (rightly) making. Joining MAC or CUSA is likely revenue-negative, and also has serious logistical drawbacks.

You can also pound sand about questioning my fanhood - I've been a season ticket holder for 20 years, and went to many games at Memorial before that. I'll be sure to think of you when I'm in Knoxville this weekend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom