UCONN and the MAC. | The Boneyard

UCONN and the MAC.

Reaction Score
Great article. I think we should try to get in the MAC even if means our mens and women’s basketball teams have to play home and home games against MAC teams

Reaction Score
Not until 2028 at the earliest. We already have football schedules that are much better than the MAC.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The reason UMass' affiliation with the MAC ended was because they wouldn't join for all sports. At that time (less than a decade ago) the MAC did not want any football only members and had an agreement with UMass where after a few years they would either be a full member or completely out.

Granted, things may gave changed with how the MAC views things and our profile may allow for accommodations that others would not be afforded. The MAC may well be willing to offer us football only membership (would likely require a second school recieve a similar offer). If this true we would need to consider it.

Reaction Score
The downside of joining the mac in my opinion is the money and playing weekday games

Reaction Score
Great article. I think we should try to get in the MAC even if means our mens and women’s basketball teams have to play home and home games against MAC teams
I would absolutely consider preferential non-conf scheduling for non-football athletics if I had my way in the world.

MAC is not the destination but you need to give the program something to work with.

Edit: for those who might get up in arms. I haven't looked at this year's schedule but I have a hard time thinking you can't swap out three games in the schedule for MAC opponents.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
F. No.

1) Our current schedule is better
2) We don't play mid week
3) Anyone arguing our football fanbase will be jazzed up by playing directional midwestern schools (and Buffalo) needs their head examined.

As a Season ticket holders, this would be the end for me.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Give me the expected attendance against a MAC team on a midweek night in the 2nd half of season. Be honest. It's probably a 4-digit number, and not something starting with a 9 or 8, either. We would be signing up for at least a few of those.

No reason we couldn't just form scheduling alliances for mutual benefit, as an indy, without saddling ourselves to MACtion.

Last edited:

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
L
Could this happen?
The question is SHOULD IT.
Lazy reporting and lack of mentioning UMass tried to stay as a FB only and was given ultimatums and shot down. Now if the MAC would accept us as a stand-alone, then it’s something to ponder. And for the zillionth time, our schedule set out in the future years are going to go away as teams are required to play more conference games, and cancel. We need to seriously consider parking FB somewhere for the near future.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
F. No.

3) Anyone arguing our football fanbase will be jazzed up by playing directional midwestern schools (and Buffalo) needs their head examined.

1. Sacred Heart will be mid September, followed by CCSU and Merrimack when the P4 schools cancel. And 2 - maybe the band can show up on a Wednesday.

Reaction Score
The only MAC with whom I want UConn associated...
bacon-jalapeno-mac-and-cheese-c9cc011c75f69a6a.png

Reaction Score
I hope this happens and have wanted this for years. It would be a huge improvement for the program.

The current scheduling strategy is destroying the football program as the P4 games are pretty much automatic losses. How do we expect to keep a good football coach here when we are giving him a career destroying schedule to overcome? We actually have morons on this board criticizing Mora for God sakes.

The players have also seem to have taken on the fans mentality of only getting up for the P4 games and that stinks too and it needs to stop.

We could be the big fish in the small MAC pond.

This move would also give us the opportunity to compete for the G5 autobid. Hopefully UMASS would join the league with us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thing with the MAC, it is the lowest ranked FBS conference and it doesn't seem to care. UConn & UMass would be great additions now because it would get the MAC into the Northeast and should the U's really improve, it could bump the MAC up a notch or two. Bring in Temple and James Madison or ODU perhaps. Or get an agreement with the Sun Belt.

Or just continue to:

Reaction Score
F. No.

I replied to you on the CUSA thread, so I'll copy/paste it here...

Yeah, the MAC sukks. But newsflash, our football sukks too!!

1) Schedule is better: Better for what? We are barely competitive against G5 teams. Having a Maryland or Duke on our schedule is good why? It looks better on paper? We are getting our doors blown off against those teams and Mora has come right out and said we can't compete with them due to $$. "Dark days ahead..."

2) Mid week games: Like the attendance at the Rent would go from 12K to 8K or 7K? OK. Would that matter? Nobody goes anyway. Somebody said it in another thread, for those of us who actually go to games, I am enjoying competitive games against G5 schools vs going in there knowing we have no chance against a team like Duke. I would show up on a Wednesday night for game that might decide going to a conference championship.

We are terrible in football and independence it making it worse. Our brand is basketball. That's why we left the AAC for the Big East. But the collateral damage was to football (yeah our hires were bad, etc. but it is where we are now).

We need to have something to play for and a way to truly rebuild. We are not getting into a P4 conference. We know that. We are not getting a football only invite to the AAC and probably not from Sunbelt or MWC. So what difference does it make if only football plays in the MAC?

Reaction Score
Thing with the MAC, it is the lowest ranked FBS conference and it doesn't seem to care. UConn & UMass would be great additions now because it would get the MAC into the Northeast and should the U's really improve, it could bump the MAC up a notch or two. Bring in Temple and James Madison or ODU perhaps. Or get an agreement with the Sun Belt.

The MAC was in the Northeast when UMass was a FB-only member. The MAC ended that arrangement, so it wasnt all that valuable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom