UConn and the 2019 AAC Baseball Championship Tournament | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn and the 2019 AAC Baseball Championship Tournament

Reaction Score
But gets no closer. 6-2 final. WSU and UConn Thursday afternoon. Time for Mason to take charge and put us in the semis getting two chances to win one.

Reaction Score
Nice! Todays win should make us a lock as an at large for the Tournament. A win Thursday guarantees it and positions us for a 2 seed.

That losers bracket game b/w Houston and ECU will be a doozy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Down goes #1 ECU 6-2.

UConn will play #8 Wichita State in the winner's bracket on Thursday, May 23 at 3 p.m.

Houston will face top seed East Carolina in elimination game at 3 p.m. tomorrow.

I really love that one of ECU or Houston will be knocked out. If we can win Thursday, we are in great shape. WSU would play the winner of ECU-Houston, and we'd play the winner of that game.

Reaction Score
It's hard to be at work and not be able to listen to the game. Almost as hard as having to be away from these threads during a game. However, I was able to monitor it through the AAC stat tracker system. It's always good to be able to look up and get a nice jolt from seeing that Paul Gozzo or Kyler Fedko have hit home runs. Power displays are not the usual thing from the UConn offense, but I'll take that odd stat tracker thrill.

I was able to listen to Chris Jones and the last inning today during my lunch break. Listening to a walk off win is a very nice thing for the digestion.

The second half of UConn batting order was the offense today. That is a welcome change to how most of the season went offensively for the bottom of the batting order. Have to think Paul Gozzo and David Langer have secured their spots in the lineup for the time being. With the uptick in Langer’s offense and with him being a junior, he is very quickly becoming the leading candidate at 3B for next season as well. Always a welcome relief when your team has one less spot in the lineup to fill for next season.

It’s looking very likely that UConn will get an NCAA tourney bid. Assuming that it does happen it will be the sixth time in the last ten years that UConn baseball has played baseball in June. Considering the college baseball world treats northern schools as an afterthought, that is a record to be proud of, especially considering where UConn baseball was before Coach Penders took over the job of running the team.

Thursday becomes even bigger now that East Carolina is in the losers bracket. Don't won't to have to play them in an elimination game on Friday. Still, like I said before I like UConn's chances against Wichita State on Thursday with Feole starting with Wurster and Wallace lurking in the bullpen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Man... Who would have thought a Langer walk-off and this?? :D

Well, Langer was a well regarded hitter in California JUCO land, and had a good hitting fall before having a miserable time at the bat for most of the season. Sometimes you need consistent playing time to get out of a slump. Just hope the new and improved Langer continues.

Everyone is shocked that Wichita State beat ECU. Well, that's baseball, the better team doesn't aways win like it usually happens in other college sports. By the way, as proof of this, Wichita State is one of the AAC teams that did win a game over East Carolina during the regular season. So Wichita State now has a .500 record this season against ECU.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
TAK'N care of business from one of the most unlikely resources
Love it
On to the next victim, I mean game

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Wichita played us as tough in Connecticut this year as ECU did last year. They are no pushover.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
The nice thing about this is that if we beat Wichita, and ECU wins vs UH and WSU, the Pirates will not have any of their stud starters remaining. As usual, ECU's bullpen is garbage.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
One team I really want to avoid is Tulane. Their offense is very scary in this format when pitching can get very thin. I also feel like Hoese was too quiet in our series and is due against us.

Reaction Score
It’s that Al McGuire thing ... where he incessantly spouted that “Freshman aren’t Freshman any more” in March Madness. Pat Winkel, Kyler Fedko & now David Langer have grown up. 20 games... 45 games ... at some point, they feel comfortable. They Guage the speed. And produce.

AAC is a tough baseball league. This year all the teams can play; it seemed 2 last year were lesser entities. Wichita State will need to be beat. They have good hitters; good Program.

Interesting in college baseball when you have ECU have kids that pitch ... but also play the field with solid hitting skills. And more than one.

Reaction Score
From the UConn Blog:

>Paul Gozzo’s recent power surge has been a pleasant surprise for the Huskies late in the season. After getting slotted into the lineup when Thad Phillips had to travel to California for a family emergency, Gozzo began to cement himself among the starters — he’s doubled in each of his last five games, going 7-for-17 during that span.

“Paul had an opportunity to start and he kicked the door in,” Penders said. “He’s swinging a hot bat and he’s played very well, so I’m happy for him.<

That has always been the Penders attitude. Kick the door in, and you will play. If not, you have to wait for your chance to do it again. Well both Gozzo and Langer are kicking right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wichita played us as tough in Connecticut this year as ECU did last year. They are no pushover.

I don't think there are any pushovers in this conference at all. They all can give you a battle.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Memphis 4 - Cincinnati 3, going to the 4th.

IMO Memphis is a better team. They beat IU and nearly beat Ole Miss out of conference while having more experienced pitchers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom