UConn and the 2018 NCAA Field Hockey Tournament | The Boneyard

UConn and the 2018 NCAA Field Hockey Tournament

Reaction Score
UConn in the Maryland bracket. Didn't figure they would get that ugly draw. I can see the thinking of the committee, even though I don't totally agree with it. They didn't beat Maryland and Princeton, while Duke, Princeton, Harvard all kind of beat each other.

Reaction Score
UConn in the Maryland bracket. Didn't figure they would get that ugly draw. I can see the thinking of the committee, even though I don't totally agree with it. They didn't beat Maryland and Princeton, while Duke, Princeton, Harvard all kind of beat each other.

Hopefully they'll just play w/ a chip on their shoulders...

Reaction Score
If anyone wants to give me a reason...any reason...UConn fell to the 7th best team in this field I would love to hear. UConn wasn't ranked outside the top 5 at any point this year, has 3 losses to the 3 best teams, won 18 games, and an RPI of 4th. There is absolutely no excuse why Duke and UConn should not have been placed together regardless of who hosted as it was a coin flip between the 2 for the last host on paper.

Duke, a program that has never won a National title, has lost as a host 2 years in a row, gotten routinely mauled against UNC, and failed to reach the title game of their conference tournament was shown infinitely more respect by the committee than a program that has won 3 titles in 5 years.

It's almost as if someone 1.) wanted to make sure one of UNC's biggest competition either Maryland or UConn had to be knocked off before the Final 4 and 2. protect Duke from having to face UConn.

For what it's worth, the chair of the 6 person committee is from Syracuse.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ya. Not being the 5 seed (at worst) is total BS. And shouldn't the 1 and the 2 seeds get the First Four winners? Why does #4 Duke get to open with a First Four opponent? Stinks of ACC bias.

Reaction Score

Correction, to what I posted above. I had thought Duke had actually beaten one of the top tier teams. They did not. Princeton beat Duke (as well as UConn). Harvard beat Princeton, with their only loss to Maryland. Based on this, I can see the argument that Princeton and Harvard are elevated over UConn in the seeds. However. I don't see the argument for elevating Duke over UConn, especially with Duke's loss in the ACC tournament.

Reaction Score
Facebook video feed leaves a lot to be desired. Thanks Maryland.

Reaction Score
Outstanding goalkeeping. UCONN scores again to make it 5-0.

11 minutes left to play.

Reaction Score
People can throw out all the RPI and wins they want at me.

But my eyes told me that Maryland, UConn, Harvard, and Princeton were ALL better than Duke.

Reaction Score
5-0 Final. Huskies advance to play Regional Host Maryland in the Elite 8.

Reaction Score
People can throw out all the RPI and wins they want at me.

But my eyes told me that Maryland, UConn, Harvard, and Princeton were ALL better than Duke.

Yup. And a real shame that they stuck Harvard and Princeton in the same region. I get the geography thing, but still...

Reaction Score
The Big Ten (outside of Maryland and maybe Michigan) seems to have been very over-rated this year.

Reaction Score
5-0 Final. Huskies advance to play Regional Host Maryland in the Elite 8.

Thanks for all the score updates through the game. Makes being at work a little easier when you can find out what is going on in an easy way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom