UConn and the 2018 AAC Baseball Tournament (Updated ~ Check Schedule Change for UConn games) | The Boneyard

UConn and the 2018 AAC Baseball Tournament (Updated ~ Check Schedule Change for UConn games)

Reaction Score
UCF, UConn and USF clinch conference series finales on Friday

>>Six teams solidified their seeds for the 2018 American Athletic Conference Baseball Championship presented by Visit St. Pete/Clearwater from May 22-27, following the league’s final Friday of conference play. After No. 20 Houston (16-8) clinched the outright regular season title and top seed on Thursday, USF (14-9-1) took two of three at Cincinnati (12-12) to capture the No. 2 seed. No. 22 UConn (14-10) defeated No. 9 ECU (14-10) in a doubleheader and finished third in the regular season standings, while the Pirates tied for third and took the No. 4 seed. UCF (13-10) took the No. 5 seed after a doubleheader sweep of Tulane, while the Bearcats finished in sixth place in the conference standings.

The final two seeds will be determined in The American’s last two conference games of 2018 on Saturday. Tulane and Wichita State will be battling of the seventh seed, as the Shockers take on Memphis at 2 p.m. ET and the Green Wave faces UCF at 1 p.m. ET.<<

Reaction Score
As the 2018 AAC tournament thread has started up, it is time to post this annual chestnut. Including the 2009 season, UConn has made either the Big East or AAC conference tournament Saturday semifinals every year except one. The one exception was the first AAC tournament in 2014, when the AAC changed the format away from the traditional double elimination format, so that there was basically no conference semifinal (everyone hated the format for that tourney, so it was quickly changed back). During that time UConn has won the conference championship twice and made two other appearances in the Sunday finals during that time. So UConn has reached the Saturday semi final games 8 tournaments in a row, not including the oddly formatted 2014 tourney. I find it to be quite an achievement. We’ll see if Coach Penders and UConn can keep that streak alive in this tournament.

Reaction Score
Wichita State wins. They will be the seven seed in our double elimination pod. And Tulane will be #8.

Reaction Score
Any word on TV coverage yet?

Initial info in link above:

>>Live coverage of the first five days of the championship - as many as 14 games - will be provided by the American Digital Network Plus, the conference's new home for live events on the Facebook platform. The May 27 final will be televised at noon ET on ESPNews.<<

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think UConn has the easier side of the bracket? They don’t have to play ECU or Houston until the championship if they make it that far. It seems like every year they get that benefit

Reaction Score
Is it only going to be on Facebook?
Any other options?

I don't have FB and really don't want it.

I remember the tournaments in the past were on YouTube.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think UConn has the easier side of the bracket? They don’t have to play ECU or Houston until the championship if they make it that far. It seems like every year they get that benefit

This whole past week I was hoping that UConn could snag either the second or third seed so that they could avoid playing Houston in their pod. I wasn't expecting the added bonus of being able to avoid East Carolina on their side of the bracket as well until it actually happened. Playing a team like USF is not exactly a picnic, but in my mind there is no question UConn get the better of the deal in not having Houston and ECU in their bracket.

Reaction Score
This whole past week I was hoping that UConn could snag either the second or third seed so that they could avoid playing Houston in their pod. I wasn't expecting the added bonus of being able to avoid East Carolina on their side of the bracket as well until it actually happened. Playing a team like USF is not exactly a picnic, but in my mind there is no question UConn get the better of the deal in not having Houston and ECU in their bracket.
I agree the draw looks favorable. Not only are we avoiding UH and ECU but UCF is no slouch either. Fact is there looks to be 5 NCAA tournament bound teams in the AAC and three of them are in the other pod.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati has been playing pretty well the past month. Wichita has the talent to go on a run. Really, the only easy out I see in the tourney is Tulane, who is in the other half.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati has been playing pretty well the past month. Wichita has the talent to go on a run. Really, the only easy out I see in the tourney is Tulane, who is in the other half.
Googins is doing a phenomenal job at Cincinnati in his first year with a roster that does not have a lot of high end talent on paper, and a week bullpen. Wichita State has a top end line up but has really shaky pitching. I still like where we are at matchup wise.
Tulane will be an interesting matchup for Houston. Tulane almost swept the cougs in April.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom