UConn and stealing.. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn and stealing..

Reaction Score
Academics are such a rort. People laugh at the classic GWH quote--You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for $1.50 in late fees at the public library--but it's never been more true than today, what with the available information/courses on the internet.
Ya, all good 'cept most employers want to see (proof of) that degree. Kind of a racket though.

Reaction Score
Academics are such a rort. People laugh at the classic GWH quote--You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for $1.50 in late fees at the public library--but it's never been more true than today, what with the available information/courses on the internet.

What's the subsidy for research at UConn? They take 60% for general funding. Where do these research funds sit in the overall mix? 20% 30% 40% If the budget is a billion, and research is $250m, then 60% of that gets swept into the general fund.

Reaction Score
Knew Kyle at UConn. Wow, crazy stuff.
What years was he a BBall manager?

P.S. When I filed my very first expense report for a big Wall St brokerage in 95 the office manager asked to talk to me. There was no cab ride to or from the airport. I said I took public transportation b/c it was cheaper and more reliable. He subtly told me that in the future my expenses should show I took a cab like everyone else. I think this is how this kind of thing starts.

Reaction Score
Yes I imagine it’s less interesting to people who don’t live in CT that a 500k a year employee was systematically fleecing the state travelling around the world to bang his employee on the state’s dime.

Consider it a deposit on the next thread where someone out of state laments the falling levels of financial support from the state.

So you’re arguing that the school deserves to have it’s funding cut by millions because an employee fleeced the school of 90k?

Not sure about the academic world, but in real life it’s not all that uncommon for people to have their assistants travel with them for business. Sounds like the real crime here is that he was trying to hide it.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So you’re arguing that the school deserves to have it’s funding cut by millions because an employee fleeced the school of 90k?

No. I’m saying their drunken wasteful spending gives ammunition to people who want to cut spending.

How many stories do you need to read before one realizes it’s the culture?

They paid a dead guy hundreds of thousands of dollars wihout anyone even bothering to care he hadn’t showed up in months.

How is a $500k department head worth that expense if he can take employees around the world on fornication romps doing anything but his job?

Herbst herself said that the funding cuts haven’t hurt the quality of education so why send them more money to set on fire?

I love that one - literally nobody at UConn is responsible for anything. It’s always someone else’s fault.

The weak state legislature should have sent a message a long time ago.

Guessing you don’t live here watching your state funding for education get slashed and fed to a couple of cities... while the nonsense continues in Storrs.

Reaction Score
No. I’m saying their drunken wasteful spending gives ammunition to people who want to cut spending.

How many stories do you need to read before one realizes it’s the culture?

They paid a dead guy hundreds of thousands of dollars wihout anyone even bothering to care he hadn’t showed up in months.

How is a $500k department head worth that expense if he can take employees around the world on fornication romps doing anything but his job?

Herbst herself said that the funding cuts haven’t hurt the quality of education so why send them more money to set on fire?

I love that one - literally nobody at UConn is responsible for anything. It’s always someone else’s fault.

The weak state legislature should have sent a message a long time ago.

I agree that it’s not good PR but we’re talking about people justifying torching millions (billions?) of dollars in funding over misuse of a comparitvely small amount of money.

Misuse and oversight that happens in any sort of institutional environment, by the way.

UConn is held to a higher and more unreasonable standard than any other institution in the country, and has more jackals foaming at the mouth in state government (talk about a glass house) ready to rip it apart at a moment’s notice, than any other flagship university in the country.

Reaction Score
What years was he a BBall manager?

P.S. When I filed my very first expense report for a big Wall St brokerage in 95 the office manager asked to talk to me. There was no cab ride to or from the airport. I said I took public transportation b/c it was cheaper and more reliable. He subtly told me that in the future my expenses should show I took a cab like everyone else. I think this is how this kind of thing starts.

Craig Austrie era

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree that it’s not good PR but we’re talking about people justifying torching millions (billions?) of dollars in funding over misuse of a comparitvely small amount of money.

Misuse and oversight that happens in any sort of institutional environment, by the way.

UConn is held to a higher and more unreasonable standard than any other institution in the country, and has more jackals foaming at the mouth in state government (talk about a glass house) ready to rip it apart at a moment’s notice, than any other flagship university in the country.

That’s crazy talk. UConn has gotten the kid glove treatment from the state. Almost no one has been better funded.

There isn’t any money to give them in the future - because it’s all already promised to former state employees - including the useless layers of administrators that Herbst bankrolled.

Unreasonable standard - they run a health system that loses money faster than it can be printed and they paid a DEAD GUY for 9 months. Because 80 year old work at home professors who make $200k is a reasonable position. How long didn’t the guy do anything when he was alive that they couldn’t figure out he was dead?

Reaction Score

Not sure about the academic world, but in real life it’s not all that uncommon for people to have their assistants travel with them for business. Sounds like the real crime here is that he was trying to hide it.

It is highly unusual for the academic world. Unless you're a president.

Reaction Score
That’s crazy talk. UConn has gotten the kid glove treatment from the state. Almost no one has been better funded.

There isn’t any money to give them in the future - because it’s all already promised to former state employees - including the useless layers of administrators that Herbst bankrolled.

Unreasonable standard - they run a health system that loses money faster than it can be printed and they paid a DEAD GUY for 9 months. Because 80 year old work at home professors who make $200k is a reasonable position. How long didn’t the guy do anything when he was alive that they couldn’t figure out he was dead?

There are different parts of universities. One is the private foundation. No one knows what is going on there. Elsewhere, people have budgets. Those are being slashed. Presidents slash the academic budgets, and they leave the private foundation alone. There are huge consequences to the cuts. Anyone who thinks the quality of education isn't being drastically diminished is totally fooling themselves. As a parent of two teens/tweens, I will stay very far away from any school that is slashing funding.

We had a fool at my school who did practically the same thing as this joker (without the sex part) and we are paying a price for his idiocy. The net result is that the students get less service. Why? Because we aren't reimbursed anymore for services that have been contracted with donors (i.e. someone donated money for a specific purpose, the new system rejects reimbursement for the services provided to fulfill donors wishes, those services are then canceled, and people are left wondering what will then happen to the money donated. That money is going somewhere). In the end, the administrators win either way. Who is to blame? The encroachment of ill fitting business practices (ie. metrics) into the academic system.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There are different parts of universities. One is the private foundation. No one knows what is going on there. Elsewhere, people have budgets. Those are being slashed. Presidents slash the academic budgets, and they leave the private foundation alone. There are huge consequences to the cuts. Anyone who thinks the quality of education isn't being drastically diminished is totally fooling themselves. As a parent of two teens/tweens, I will stay very far away from any school that is slashing funding.

We had a fool at my school who did practically the same thing as this joker (without the sex part) and we are paying a price for his idiocy. The net result is that the students get less service. Why? Because we aren't reimbursed anymore for services that have been contracted with donors (i.e. someone donated money for a specific purpose, the new system rejects reimbursement for the services provided to fulfill donors wishes, those services are then canceled, and people are left wondering what will then happen to the money donated. That money is going somewhere). In the end, the administrators win either way. Who is to blame? The encroachment of ill fitting business practices (ie. metrics) into the academic system.

Herbst said it not me. Seemed like a dumb thing to say if you want to keep getting finding but I’m not an academic.

Reaction Score
Senate Republican Leader Len Fasano, R-North Haven, said UConn has created its own problems.

“We have seen extravagance and overspending at UConn,” Fasano said. “For years, UConn’s spending on questionable priorities with little oversight has been out of control. UConn has made contracts and commitments that they cannot afford. UConn has failed to live within its means and has shown questionable judgment, prioritizing administrative bloat over the needs of their students.”

Dems blame GOP for UConn ranking drop, GOP blames UConn

Reaction Score

I think you’d be surprised by how many places with thousands of employees don’t realize that a specific employee has died.

Sounds to me like it’s an issue of not having enough administrative people, not too many...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Note to self: consider a career in academia.

(Fornication romps... perfect choice of words... snicker)

Reaction Score
Senate Republican Leader Len Fasano, R-North Haven, said UConn has created its own problems.

“We have seen extravagance and overspending at UConn,” Fasano said. “For years, UConn’s spending on questionable priorities with little oversight has been out of control. UConn has made contracts and commitments that they cannot afford. UConn has failed to live within its means and has shown questionable judgment, prioritizing administrative bloat over the needs of their students.”

Yes, this is the kind of stupid talk from state politicians that I was talking about.

Reaction Score

@whaler11 I know you do not want to be on the same side as Hurr-Durr Fasano ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
@whaler11 I know you do not want to be on the same side as Hurr-Durr Fasano ;)

Broken clocks something something something.

Fighting over 18 vs 22 is pretty stupid though in general.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think you’d be surprised by how many places with thousands of employees don’t realize that a specific employee has died.

Sounds to me like it’s an issue of not having enough administrative people, not too many...

You’ve got examples of people who make 200k being dead for 9 months and nobody notices?

Yes there aren’t enough adminstrators at UConn Health... that’s it.

Reaction Score
You’ve got examples of people who make 200k being dead for 9 months and nobody notices?

Yes there aren’t enough adminstrators at UConn Health... that’s it.

Lol well UConn Health is definitely something that I would look into cutting if I was in a position of power.

That, along with putting CCSU out of it’s misery, and combing the directional schools into one “Connecticut State University” would be something I would look at.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Lol well UConn Health is definitely something that I would look into cutting if I was in a position of power.

That, along with putting CCSU out of it’s misery, and combing the directional schools into one “Connecticut State University” would be something I would look at.

Having one admin office (finance, purchasing, hr, etc) for all those schools would save a lot of money as well

Reaction Score
Herbst said it not me. Seemed like a dumb thing to say if you want to keep getting finding but I’m not an academic.

I imagine the way presidents operate today they see entire parts of the university as fungible. Sure, just axe entire academic disciplines and install e-sports! Who cares??!

Reaction Score
Having one admin office (finance, purchasing, hr, etc) for all those schools would save a lot of money as well

Have you ever heard of SUNY Central? Again, efficiency and rooting out redundancy seems like a nice thing, in theory.

One of my favorite head scratchers is finding a flight for a visiting speaker/resident and then forwarding that information to the administrative unit that purchases travel. Invariably, they buy the ticket for $300 more than I found it 4 days prior! I'd be very happy to do it myself if only I would be reimbursed!

Reaction Score
Yes, this is the kind of stupid talk from state politicians that I was talking about.

They need to compare subsidies for UConn to subsidies from other states. Is it out of kilter?

This morning I read private contractors are making $750 per child per day housing separated refugee children. Is Fasano up in arms?

Reaction Score
They need to compare subsidies for UConn to subsidies from other states. Is it out of kilter?

This morning I read private contractors are making $750 per child per day housing separated refugee children. Is Fasano up in arms?

The question I have from the Fasano quote that I think cuts to the heart of the matter is the following:

What are UConn’s means and who sets those parameters?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom