UConn and Cincy to ACC by 2014 -MHver3 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn and Cincy to ACC by 2014 -MHver3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What's the alternative, Greensborough? A completely cultureless pit of a city. Have you ever watched the utter sterile bore known as the ACC tournament? There is a reason that the BE conference has become easily the most anticipated college hoops tourney. With so many ACC alum in NYC and the venue/city itself, I could see a tourney every other year something that even southerners getting excited about. With NYC obnoxiously flooded with Duke, UNC, Cuse, Uconn sweatshirts annually, it could use as a marketing opportunity to begin spinning it's overall product.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
There is no way that Cinci's basketball is valued more highly than UConn's. None. Also, the academics and regional aspects strongly disfavor Cinci compared to UConn as do the markets and brand awareness. Cinci does not have Louisville's brand.

The ACC is at 14+1. They need one more all sports program and one more football program to pair with Notre Dame's Olympics. I actually took some interest in this one because this wrinkle makes some sense.

First of all, I never said that Cincy's basketball team was more valuable than ours, because that isn't even close to being true. My error was thinking that MHver was referring to the Mountain West adding Cincy as a football only and adding UConn as an all-sports. That's what made me say, "WTF???"

After looking at the actual tweet (and not a response to the tweet), I see that he was referring to the idea of Cincy as a football-only in the ACC, not the Mountain West. At which point, I would still say, "WTF?" That "wrinkle" doesn't make any sense whatsoever, if one assumes that the idea of partially adding Notre Dame was for the end goal of FULLY adding Notre Dame (a moment in time that I will still only believe when I see it).

And really, who here still believes that this guy has any semblance of credibility at all...

caw

Reaction Score
First of all, I never said that Cincy's basketball team was more valuable than ours, because that isn't even close to being true. My error was thinking that MHver was referring to the Mountain West adding Cincy as a football only and adding UConn as an all-sports. That's what made me say, "WTF???"

After looking at the actual tweet (and not a response to the tweet), I see that he was referring to the idea of Cincy as a football-only in the ACC, not the Mountain West. At which point, I would still say, "WTF?" That "wrinkle" doesn't make any sense whatsoever, if one assumes that the idea of partially adding Notre Dame was for the end goal of FULLY adding Notre Dame (a moment in time that I will still only believe when I see it).

And really, who here still believes that this guy has any semblance of credibility at all...

Probably would add Cincy for all sports when ND is added for football in MHVER's mind. I'm not saying it's realistic, but that is what he is implying.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Probably would add Cincy for all sports when ND is added for football in MHVER's mind. I'm not saying it's realistic, but that is what he is implying.

With a magical 18th team to be named at a later date, I suppose? Perhaps he believes USF will ride it out until then or something....that guy has no more clue than anyone else, and perhaps even less clues than that...

Reaction Score
The ACC has no desire to play their tour. at MSG. Duke, State, UNc and WF want to keep it on tobacco road (Greensboro) also that is where they get their best attendance because one of these schools is almost always in the finals.

Reaction Score
The ACC has no desire to play their tour. at MSG. Duke, State, UNc and WF want to keep it on tobacco road (Greensboro) also that is where they get their best attendance because one of these schools is almost always in the finals.
This just couldn't be further from the truth; especially going so far as to say "no desire". If the option was open for the Catholic church to have the nativity scene relived again, they would pick MSG as the location

Reaction Score
This freak probably does internet searches for his twitter handle and feels better about himself when he sees people talking about him. WHY the do we use him as a source of info? This is worse than the National Enquirer. At least the National Enquirer is funny.

Reaction Score
Over the last 8 years (or probably longer) there has only been one big time college bb tournament and that was played in MSG.

The ACC tournament over the last 8 years has been a JOKE. There literally are at most 2 or 3 exciting games. Even Greensboro has had tepid attendance save for Carolina games. And even tickets for the 2011 Duke vs Carolina final were not that difficult to buy.

ACC bb fans don't get that excited over the tourny, there are many rumours that Roy would rather rest his teams for the big dance. I don't think ACC fans feel that strongly about MSG, maybe once would be fun, but the ACC tournament will be in Greensboro for the most part. Their experiement moving it to other locations over the past few years was dreadful.

So i hope Jim B likes eating Stamey's bbq and staying at the Embassy Suites here in Greensboro. Its big time for Cuse bb now. Jim, or course would prefer staying at Grandover but unfortunately other ACC schools have that rented out for the next 3 years.

Reaction Score
I live in Cary NC in between UNC,Duke and State. Their is no way they want to play the tournament in MSG. It's a great venue if you are from up North. I grew up in Manfield, lived and went to school in Boston. Been a husky fan for 50 years. The Tobacco roads schools hate when the tour. is played in Dc , Fla. or Atl.They want Greensboro to be the perm. home. Yes I agree Greensboro is the pits but it in right in the middle between Char. Winston Salem and Raleigh where a large majority of Tobacco road alum live.

Every tour. is a sell out in advance. Tickets only go to top donors. So attendance at specific games can be low but every ticket has been sold.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of you are comparing what the ACC has looked like versus what it will look like beginning next year. Of course the fans from the state of NC don't want it as MSG but that will have absolutely zero impact on the decision by the commissioner of whether or not he would try it there or not. With the Big East gone, and an entire week and weekend worth of conference exposure in NYC, the ACC would sign up in a heartbeat. At the very least as an experiment. You shouldn't need any more proof than NC State's advertising for the Dec. 4th Jimmy V classic on taxi cabs in Manhattan...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Of course the ACC would love to add MSG to the mix.

The Conference tournaments have lost their luster across the board because all the emphasis is on the NCAA tourney. The ACC tourney used to be the best, the Big East has been for many years - time will tell who is best in the future but the conference tourney glory days have passed - in 68 team NCAA tourney they just don't matter enough to be huge events if there aren't blood rivalries.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Of course the ACC would love to add MSG to the mix.

The Conference tournaments have lost their luster across the board because all the emphasis is on the NCAA tourney. The ACC tourney used to be the best, the Big East has been for many years - time will tell who is best in the future but the conference tourney glory days have passed - in 68 team NCAA tourney they just don't matter enough to be huge events if there aren't blood rivalries.

Purely hypothetical, but aside from a Knicks NBA Finals game, would an ACC Friday Night Semi's of UConn vs. Syracuse / Duke vs. UNC be the toughest MSG ticket for basketball ever?

Reaction Score
Two points on the ACC tournament

1) It has generally sucked for years because Duke always wins (10 out of the past 13 years before last year when FSU won). That includes years in which UNC and Maryland actually won national titles and a year in which Georgia Tech finished as runner-up. These teams did great nationally, yet still could not win the conference tournament. It's sadly been boring.

2) While I'm sure that the North Carolina schools want the tourney in NC, that does not mean they always get what they want. It has moved around a fair amount in recent years (being in Atlanta or DC when not in Charlotte or Greensboro). Swafford openly spoke of wanting it in NYC, but neither facility (MSG or Barclays) bothered to bid this last time (even after Syracuse came on board). I'm sure the ACC would accept a NY tourney if it wasn't an all the time thing. The question is if NYC wants the ACC (with the Big East break up it has to look more appealing)

Reaction Score
One thing that is a plus for the BET has been playing the semi's and finals on Friday and Saturday nights. They just go hand in hand with a more big time feel. I would like to see the UConn mens BB team play more Saturday night games and get rid of the noon starts. I think you'd get a larger rowdier crowd just like the night games at the Rent.

Reaction Score
After expansion the ACC decided to move the tour. around. Five different sites from 2005 to 2009. There were many complaints from the BB schools ie tobacco road. Even though the tour. was a sellout, game day attendance dropped significantly. So they decided to go back to Greensboro . 2010, 2011, 2012 in Atl, and now back to Greensboro for 2013, 2014, 2015. There is now talk to make it the pernament home of the tour..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom