UConn and BCU talkin' | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn and BCU talkin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So you are saying that if Uconn goes to the BIG, you will STILL be obsessed with BC football, their recruiting, etc and so forth ? If Uconn goes to the BIG, why would you even care a wit about a school's recuiting that you don't play. Uconn's football future does not depend on BC at all, imo. So why the hightened interest here in what they are doing seems puzzling.
Re read what I wrote because you are drawing some odd conclusions from it.

Speakng of obsession what is a BC fanboy doing on a UConn site considering there is no rivalry in your own words?

Reaction Score
I have not " criticized this board " in my comments here in the least. I merely compared ( without anger, nor profanity ) what the focus appears to be on this board this week with this thread in relationship to other non BC thread discussions and its number of views,.. thats all. BC has 9 football boards, 5 of which are private boards. Even if BC had few participants on those 9 boards, so what ? Thats got nothing to do with this thread discussion, as near as I can tell..... as for my being a BC fan, I have from day one, made it clear that I live in Massachusetts and have been following BC football for half a century now. I also made it clear that I have family that graduated from Uconn too. So I don't know what else to tell you, angry one.

You were being critical. You post like a wimp. Someone calls you on something and you simply deny it.

I can only conclude that you have a tremendous amount of time on your hands, because if BC has 9 football boards and you spend as much time on them as you do on this board then there would not be much additional time for anything else...........like a life...........

Reaction Score
, . Hate makes for great rivalries!

Yes and No, imo. If BC school officials continue to " hate " Uconn as much as Uconn fans " hate " BC, there won't be a scheduled football game between Uconn and BC for about a decade in my opinion. So its not the " hate " that will get this done. It will be the hate's diminishment that ultimately gets it done, imo

Reaction Score
You were being critical. You post like a wimp. Someone calls you on something and you simply deny it.

I can only conclude that you have a tremendous amount of time on your hands, because if BC has 9 football boards and you spend as much time on them as you do on this board then there would not be much additional time for anything else......like a life......
How each of us choose to spend our time is of no concern ( or shouldn't be ) to either one of us. I certainly don't care what you do with your time, nor how you spend it.. you should not be concerned with mine either. I've got less than 700 posts on here.. not a third of what you have, and not 7,000 or some such.. so just go easy on yourself thinking about such silly things as to how somebody else chooses to spend their time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How each of us choose to spend our time is of no concern ( or shouldn't be ) to either one of us. I certainly don't care what you do with your time, nor how you spend it.. you should not be concerned with mine either. I've got less than 700 posts on here.. not a third of what you have, and not 7,000 or some such.. so just go easy on yourself thinking about such silly things as to how somebody else chooses to spend their time.

I honestly hope you are duck*ing with us. Because if you are not, you are absolutely delusional.

Carry on........

Reaction Score
BC had their brief moment in the sun, now it's time to move over and let the big dog run. . .

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Even the article itself mentions the 4 essentials for a football rivalry, ie 1) similarity, 2) proximity, 3 ) history. 4) Riciprical acknowledgement ......Auburn- Alabama football are both Publics, both in the same state for proximity ( Alabama ), both have a history of playing one another each and every year ( since 1893 ), both schools and both fan bases accept that both are equal adversaries, and accept each other as rivals. Both programs football players hate each other too, as most were recruited by each school.

BC- Uconn football has none of these 4 requirements for a football rivalry. Even 95% of BC's football players feel no emotional connection to Uconn. Uconn fans universally express their internal negative emotion of hate toward BC, but BC's current students, current Alumni ( most of who are from outside N.E now ). dont " hate " Uconn". Their prevailing emotional sentiment toward Uconn football is mostly the emotion of " indifference ", which is neither a positive, nor negative emotion. Sure the older BC grads, and the BC grads from Massachusetts hate Uconn, but they are the minority today of the BC football population at this school, and among its recent grads, the vast amount of whom come from outside the N.E region entirely.

Reaction Score
Even the article itself mentions the 4 essentials for a football rivalry, ie 1) similarity, 2) proximity, 3 ) history. 4) Riciprical acknowledgement .Auburn- Alabama football are both Publics, both in the same state for proximity ( Alabama ), both have a history of playing one another each and every year ( since 1893 ), both schools and both fan bases accept that both are equal adversaries, and accept each other as rivals. Both programs football players hate each other too, as most were recruited by each school.

BC- Uconn football has none of these 4 requirements for a football rivalry. Even 95% of BC's football players feel no emotional connection to Uconn. Uconn fans universally express their internal negative emotion of hate toward BC, but BC's current students, current Alumni ( most of who are from outside N.E now ). dont " hate " Uconn". Their prevailing emotional sentiment toward Uconn football is mostly the emotion of " indifference ", which is neither a positive, nor negative emotion. Sure the older BC grads, and the BC grads from Massachusetts hate Uconn, but they are the minority today of the BC football population at this school, and among its recent grads, the vast amount of whom come from outside the N.E region entirely.

I'm not sure if anyone is suggesting there is a UConn-BC "Football" rivalry today. However, there are elements in place, including proximity (which you apparently disagree with), that support the potential for a rivalry. Generally speaking, there is history between the schools, whether it's lawsuits, turf-war comments, BC's belief that UConn was their rival in basketball, etc. One only has to look at the hockey game turnouts to see there is something there. Lastly, if you spent more time on BC boards vs. UConn boards, you would see that there are legions of BC fans apparently obsessed with UConn. Interest in BC athletics collectively is perhaps at its lowest point in some time. They would benefit as much, or more, from any kind of rivalry.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if anyone is suggesting there is a UConn-BC "Football" rivalry today. However, there are elements in place, including proximity (which you apparently disagree with), that support the potential for a rivalry. Generally speaking, there is history between the schools, whether it's lawsuits, turf-war comments, BC's belief that UConn was their rival in basketball, etc. One only has to look at the hockey game turnouts to see there is something there. Lastly, if you spent more time on BC boards vs. UConn boards, you would see that there are legions of BC fans apparently obsessed with UConn. Interest in BC athletics collectively is perhaps at its lowest point in some time. They would benefit as much, or more, from any kind of rivalry.
So many of your assumptions are inaccurate. I don't spend more time on a Uconn board than a BC Board ( why one cares about this, is beyond me ). There is no football history at all between BC football and Uconn football. A few games ( 14 ) in 50 years is no football history. Uconn was never BC's rival in basketball. BC most years was never competitive with Uconn in basketball to get BC fans interested in any of that. BC's hockey rival is BU. Uconn will never be BC's rival in hockey, no matter that Uconn was accepted into Hockey East ( with BC's approval, and vote for acceptance ). BC football interest is not at its lowest point in some time ( Uconn's football is ). BC Hockey interest is still high among the student body. Only BC Basketball interest is a current basket case among BC students, basketball fans in Boston, and thus playing Uconn in basketball doesn't do a thing for the overwhelming majority of BC students and Alums. Massachusetts general sports fans have more interest in a BC- Umass football game than a BC- Uconn football game. Uconn fans are obsessed it appears with a game with BC, but Massachusetts sports fans, unafiliated with either BC or Uconn, prefer to watch their state U play BC than Uconn ( and they will.. this year ). Syracuse will be BC's annual football rival moving forward. That said, I see no reason at all that BC can't play Uconn in football every few years. And I can see Uconn fans getting that coveted football game with BC perhaps in 5-10 years or so.

Reaction Score
So many of your assumptions are inaccurate. I don't spend more time on a Uconn board than a BC Board ( why one cares about this, is beyond me ).

Okay on this point, I'll Bite! Perhaps its when high level representatives from BC stated that they needed to protect their turf. Well, guess what (rhetorically written), you are on a UConn Board! Unless I am mistaken, this would be UConn territory and therefore it is possible that some of us may question why you are here. If that does not seem relevant to you at face value, then I wonder if your are purposely being obtuse as you try to distinguish your point of view across very fine lines of delineation or are you truly just this ignorant? I mean I really do not know (again rhetorically written - as I do not care).
But to assume, that just because someone on this site decides to mention BC, does not mean that any of us must accept your view as that of being a purely objective theorist on the workings of animosity, collusion, or indifference between these two schools, their fan bases, their athletic departments, their football programs, etc. However, as a fan I am willing to hear any position my fellow Husky fans might have and would defend them against anything a BC fan might say. Not because of what they say having any academic merit but because its us Huskies against everyone else and in this case - against BC. Discussing our rivalry with a BC fan for me has no merits. You may be right(sarcasm), I shared no history with you. But when BC was in the Big East, I was part of a convoy of buses leaving Waterbury and heading up to the BC basketball game. The only team back then that we hated more was St. Johns and not because they were tough competition. It was their obnoxious fans. But the one thing they were that you are not - is honest. They hated UConn and we hated them (speaking from the large contingent of people I traveled with back then). Boston College Fans just had an air of arrogance that I recall was pleasurable in watching as it got deflated. But honestly, you were never our peers on the basketball court. The few grads I ran into I recall thinking man, they think because they are going to a school in Boston, suddenly they think they are Harvard! This was my experience. So are you a rival...NO, just a school I like to watch lose and I don't care who they are playing. For me BC can't lose enough! ...and keep this mind, this was written on the BoneYard - you should be shocked at the audacity!

Reaction Score
UCONN just needs to get into the B1G and BC will come begging to play us every year.
If Uconn got into the BIG... just say... why would BC feel any more urge to play Uconn football then ? I don't believe that such a scenario would alter the situation in any manner. And if Uconn did find itself in the BIG, Rutgers would become Uconn's annual football rivalry game, imo... not BC. And thus, Uconn football fans would have no more interest in what goes on at BC in that scenario it would seem to me.

Reaction Score
Okay on this point, I'll Discussing our rivalry with a BC fan for me has no merits. !

Thats fine... If you are not interested in my thoughts it saved us both the time from reading one another's thoughts on the thread topic, so from that perspective anyway, it does become a future time saver for the both of us.

Reaction Score
Well, this thread was started less than 1o days ago and already has 8,300 views, and I'm the only BC fan as far we know discussing Uconn in its relationship to a school it does not play, and is not even in its current league afiliation with. Meanwhile Uconn could conceivably be receiving in 1st football commit in Q. Skanes, (3 star WR ) in a few days, and it has Diaco in southern connecticut this week ( Stamford ), and summer football Camp opening up as well. And yet most Uconn football fans seem FAR more interested in what BC is thinking and doing these last 2 weeks. So, you tell me who has "an inferiority complex", if there is even an" inferiority complex" at work at all here.

Ouch! Gotta give credit where credit is do. Yawk the truth is, that is what losing does to a program. Without belief you major on pithy stuff. (Thank you Bill O'reilly) Although the thought of taking on the likes of Cuse and BC is intriguing, as UCONN fans we need get behind our teams and coaches and the business at hand.
Once the team gets rolling the fan base will get amped. It's been a long 4 years.

Reaction Score
Ouch! Gotta give credit where credit is do. Yawk the truth is, that is what losing does to a program. Although the thought of taking on the likes of Cuse and BC is intriguing, as UCONN fans we need get behind our teams and coaches and the business at hand.
Great attitude, Confident Carl... winning will take care of everything. Its a cliche, of course, but its also true.

Reaction Score
If Uconn got into the BIG... just say... why would BC feel any more urge to play Uconn football then ? I don't believe that such a scenario would alter the situation in any manner. And if Uconn did find itself in the BIG, Rutgers would become Uconn's annual football rivalry game, imo... not BC. And thus, Uconn football fans would have no more interest in what goes on at BC in that scenario it would seem to me.
BC is in New England along with UCONN. Rutgers is not. Being the best in New England means something. Being the best along Long Island Sound???? Not so much.

Reaction Score
BC is in New England along with UCONN. Rutgers is not. Being the best in New England means something. Being the best along Long Island Sound???? Not so much.
Now there's a challenge for ya..."The Sound Challenge". UConn and Rutgers play for a trophy every other year. Winner keeps the trophy...loser drinks a gallon of the Sound. Why every other year? It might take that long for the loser to recover.

Reaction Score
Well, this thread was started less than 1o days ago and already has 8,300 views, and I'm the only BC fan as far we know discussing Uconn in its relationship to a school it does not play, and is not even in its current league afiliation with. Meanwhile Uconn could conceivably be receiving in 1st football commit in Q. Skanes, (3 star WR ) in a few days, and it has Diaco in southern connecticut this week ( Stamford ), and summer football Camp opening up as well. And yet most Uconn football fans seem FAR more interested in what BC is thinking and doing these last 2 weeks. So, you tell me who has "an inferiority complex", if there is even an" inferiority complex" at work at all here.

Dude, I would guess something in the neighborhood of 50% of eagleoutsider/bcinteruption posts involve UCONN somewhere in the body. Of course that is not saying much when you have 15 registered posters, with two of them being you.

Reaction Score
So many of your assumptions are inaccurate. I don't spend more time on a Uconn board than a BC Board ( why one cares about this, is beyond me ). There is no football history at all between BC football and Uconn football. A few games ( 14 ) in 50 years is no football history. Uconn was never BC's rival in basketball. BC most years was never competitive with Uconn in basketball to get BC fans interested in any of that. BC's hockey rival is BU. Uconn will never be BC's rival in hockey, no matter that Uconn was accepted into Hockey East ( with BC's approval, and vote for acceptance ). BC football interest is not at its lowest point in some time ( Uconn's football is ). BC Hockey interest is still high among the student body. Only BC Basketball interest is a current basket case among BC students, basketball fans in Boston, and thus playing Uconn in basketball doesn't do a thing for the overwhelming majority of BC students and Alums. Massachusetts general sports fans have more interest in a BC- Umass football game than a BC- Uconn football game. Uconn fans are obsessed it appears with a game with BC, but Massachusetts sports fans, unafiliated with either BC or Uconn, prefer to watch their state U play BC than Uconn ( and they will.. this year ). Syracuse will be BC's annual football rival moving forward. That said, I see no reason at all that BC can't play Uconn in football every few years. And I can see Uconn fans getting that coveted football game with BC perhaps in 5-10 years or so.

Just because you edited my post inside your head and commented on the edited version (that only resides in your head) doesn't make the commentary relevant to the original post. Although, I must admit, your responses eerily resemble some kind of automaton outfitted with a small selection of preprogrammed responses. . .

Reaction Score
While perhaps true, context is everything. In this context, the poster above mentioned a " what if " of Uconn to the Big. As such, I'm not sure that BC would be relevant to Uconn football at that stage, as more than likely, Uconn would be playing the Big's divisional rival Rutgers each and every year. Rutgers in that scenario would more than likely be Uconn's annual football rival ( while in the ACC, Syracuse would remain as BC's football rival ). That was the context in which Rutgers was utilized as a potential football rival for Uconn with my reply to that poster above.

Reaction Score
Dude, I would guess something in the neighborhood of 50% of eagleoutsider/bcinteruption posts involve UCONN somewhere in the body. Of course that is not saying much when you have 15 registered posters, with two of them being you.
No.. oh heavens, no... thats not even remotely close to the percentage over the course of a year. BC has more current students, recent grads now that are increasingly coming from NY/ NJ than from Connectucut or Massachusetts now.. As such, ( for just one example ) there are far more comments revolving around Rutgers, or NY/ NJ high school recruiting, NY or NJ H.S. teams and so forth. There are 9 BC football boards ( of the ones that I know of ) and Uconn football threads make up around 2-5% of all the thread topics over the course of any 12 months.. So you are simply way, way off the mark here that its in the " 50% " realm. Its just your imagination perhaps getting the best of you, as its nowhere near this percentage... on ANY of the 9 BC boards, for that matter. ND , particularly with the older BC alums and fans, has far far more interest in what is going on there, than in Storrs Connecticut with Uconn football. Syracuse is starting to get a higher percentage of thread discussions, ( than before ) as its a school BC goes head to head with a lot in ACC recruiting circles now, and a school BC will be playing each year in its Atlantic Division of the ACC.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yawkey and CCarl being kindred spirits tops this one off.

Reaction Score
I must admit, your responses eerily resemble some kind of automaton outfitted with a small selection of preprogrammed responses. . .

That could possibly be construed as a bizarre reply from some sort of paranoid poster. but my guess, you are ok, and are just yanking my chain here with that bit, ( haha! ) as I don't really believe that YOU really believe this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22