UConn and 2017 AAC Baseball Tournament (Schedule Change) | Page 26 | The Boneyard

UConn and 2017 AAC Baseball Tournament (Schedule Change)

Reaction Score
It was more the timing for me and specifically Moririoty. Last series of the year against ECU and into the tourney all of a sudden Hill got all the starts. It's not like Hill earned it and would just liked to have seen Moriority just a tad bit more.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I think Hill's history shows he has been good down the stretch and being a senior captain, earned the right to play.

Reaction Score
Bergmann pretty much didn't get any playing time at all, but he will be the backup catcher next season, so his playing time will increase unless another catcher comes into the program. Gnesda was a regular for most of the season before his bat went south late in the season. Moriarty got over 100 at bats which is a lot for a backup, and is probably the front runner to start at 2B next season. Lambrecht got 12 starts. Aside from Bergmann, these guys did get chances to play and show what they can do. I just don't see the problem you are suggesting.
I get it, I have watched every game this year like you. The comment on Bergmann was because someone said Susi looked tired and down 8-0 in the 5th inning why not put Bergmann in at catcher and give Susi a rest. This is year 4 of Hill hitting below the Mendoza line and it's not getting better. Although Moriority and Lambrechts averages aren't much better they are the future and they provide some pop. You are right about Moriority getting a lot of at bats which is why it is puzzling with 9 games to go in the year, Hill suddenly gets every start. I'm just saying he should have rotated them and given Moriority more time, especially when you could argue that his defense may be better.

Reaction Score
It was more the timing for me and specifically Moririoty. Last series of the year against ECU and into the tourney all of a sudden Hill got all the starts. It's not like Hill earned it and would just liked to have seen Moriority just a tad bit more.

I think Hill's history shows he has been good down the stretch and being a senior captain, earned the right to play.

I get it, I have watched every game this year like you. The comment on Bergmann was because someone said Susi looked tired and down 8-0 in the 5th inning why not put Bergmann in at catcher and give Susi a rest. This is year 4 of Hill hitting below the Mendoza line and it's not getting better. Although Moriority and Lambrechts averages aren't much better they are the future and they provide some pop. You are right about Moriority getting a lot of at bats which is why it is puzzling with 9 games to go in the year, Hill suddenly gets every start. I'm just saying he should have rotated them and given Moriority more time, especially when you could argue that his defense may be better.

It seems to me that the onus is on the freshman to take the job from the senior, and not the other way around. Moriarty got off to a fast start at 3B when subbing for Yahn, but then faded, and really hasn't come back, instead his average has continued to drift down. Moriarty got the majority of the playing time at 2B when Hill was out, and then alternated with Hill until very recently. Things got to crunch time late in the season and Penders decided to go with the senior in the middle of the infield. I have no problem with that decision. If Moriarty had hit in the .260 or higher range, I'm inclined to think the job would have been his. Instead, he's hitting .226, which includes that fast start he got off to at the beginning of the season. Moriarty had ample opportunity to take the job away from Hill, but simply didn't do enough to do it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't want the speak for ATLDYKA but I think his point is Penders makes decisions with his heart not his head. Moriarty is by no means lighting to world on fire but his BA is nearly 40 points higher than Hill, fielding percentage is 20 point higher, slugging is 100 points higher. Hill has a higher OBP but that's really his only advantage.

As for my opinion, we have got next to nothing from that position, amongst many others, so I don't think it matters who starts at 2B

Reaction Score
I don't want the speak for ATLDYKA but I think his point is Penders makes decisions with his heart not his head. Moriarty is by no means lighting to world on fire but his BA is nearly 40 points higher than Hill, fielding percentage is 20 point higher, slugging is 100 points higher. Hill has a higher OBP but that's really his only advantage.

As for my opinion, we have got next to nothing from that position, amongst many others, so I don't think it matters who starts at 2B
Absolutely I think that's just it. It's almost to a fault. We can even take it over to the pitchers. To me there had to be more to it off the field that we are not aware of. We have seen him give guys like Rajkowski and Poulin numerous chances. Poulin has worked out, Rajkowski not so much. But then how does he explain a guy like Nepiarsky who continually got the job done when called upon but couldn't see meaningful action in games where we really could have used him. Zapata is another, kid was very good his Freshmen year but then these last 2 years just not given the chance to turn it around. 3.1 innings for the year going into today. Why does one guy get so many chances over another especially when the one has at least proved himself at one point. Penders is our coach, he has done amazing things, recruits well, I just question his loyalty over performance decisions. Maybe there's more behind the scenes, just not sure.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Good for Prato, making all tournament team. Future is bright.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom