UConn and 2017 AAC Baseball Tournament (Schedule Change) | The Boneyard

UConn and 2017 AAC Baseball Tournament (Schedule Change)

Reaction Score
Tuesday games on CBS sports Network
Wednesday thru Saturday games on American Digital Network
Championship game on ESPN News

Reaction Score
Tuesday
Game 1: No. 5 Tulane vs. No. 4 USF, 3 p.m.
Game 2: No. 8 East Carolina vs. No. 1 UCF, 7 p.m.

Wednesday
Game 3: No. 7 Memphis vs. No. 2 Houston, 11 a.m.
Game 4: No. 6 Cincinnati vs. No. 3 Connecticut, 3 p.m.
Game 5: Game 1 loser vs. Game 2 loser, 7 p.m.

Thursday
Game 6: Game 3 loser vs. Game 4 loser, 11 a.m.
Game 7: Game 1 winner vs. Game 2 winner, 3 p.m.
Game 8: Game 3 winner vs. Game 4 winner, 7 p.m.

Friday
Game 9: Game 7 loser vs. Game 5 winner, 11 a.m.
Game 10: Game 8 loser vs. Game 6 winner, 3 p.m.

Saturday
Game 11: Game 7 winner vs. Game 9 winner, 10 a.m.
Game 12: Game 8 winner vs. Game 10 winner, 1 p.m.
Game 13: Game 11 loser vs. Game 11 winner, 4:30 p.m. (if necessary)
Game 14: Game 12 loser vs. Game 12 winner, 7:30 p.m. (if necessary)

Sunday
Championship, noon

Reaction Score
UConn's record v their side of the bracket:
2-1 v Cincinnati (lost 5-4, won 6-4 and 3-2)
1-2 @ Houston (lost 6-5 and 9-1, won 7-4)
3-0 v Memphis (won 6-2, 10-7, and 4-0)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We can't lose any games to Cinci or Memphis but even with that we will need the committee to view the AAC as a four bid league. If it is viewed as a four bid league and we finish top four in both the regular season and conference tournament (not losing to either Memphis or Cincy will assure this) we should be in. If the committee see the AAC as a three bid league (three locks, a fourth requiring something out of the ordinary), we'll need to make it to the finals of the tournament.

Reaction Score
One thing for certain is that the UConn offense is skittish enough when no one is out with an injury. Things get more problematic when Feldstein is out of the lineup like he was for the last two games of the East Carolina series. He may not be Joe DeRoche-Duffin with the bat, but he does make solid contributions with the bat. It's a big drop in offensive production when Krueger has to play in his place.

One of the most glaring differences in the offense between last year and this year is at 1B. Bobby Melley was a terrific offensive contributor, hitting for average, with power, and getting on base, and doing so in an all star manner. Chris Winkel in his freshman year has had a few moments, but they have been few and far between, and it shows in his poor offensive statistics. The drop in production at 1B is like going over a cliff. UConn really needs Winkel (or whoever plays 1B) to make a giant leap forward in order for the offense to make a big improvement.

As for UConn's NCAA tourney chances and the AAC tournament, UConn needs another one of their patented runs to the semi finals on Saturday, which would mean two AAC tournament wins. I'm afraid UConn may be dangerously flirting with the bubble if they don't get that far.

Reaction Score
I'm curious how everybody things the rotation will play out. Honestly we have a fairly easy bracket with Memphis and Cincy. Houston will be the only serious threat to prevent us from getting to the championship.

Reaction Score
The Houston v Memphis game starts at 9 AM Tuesday... that sucks for them.

Reaction Score
There are pros and cons to have PJ pitch game 1, as there is with every starter. Personally I like the desicion. The only thing I'm worried about is how the bullpen will be used for the rest of the tournament. That will leave only Russell and Radue, and maybe Dan as our only reliable arms from the bullpen for the next 3 games.

Reaction Score
I wasn’t expecting PJ Poulin to start the first game, but if you aren’t using one of the three weekend starters, he is the logical choice. It’s a bit of a gamble, as there is a big advantage winning the first two games and being able to rest on Friday with no game to play. I’m sure the move is designed to keep Cate, Montgomerie, and Feole closer to their normal full week of rest and increasing the chance that they can go deep into games. It's also something of an audition, for if Poulin does well, then he definitely becomes the leading candidate to enter next season’s weekend rotation in the event that Montgomerie signs a pro contract after this season.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I was hoping for Rossomondo who has been our midweek starter. PJ was shaky over the weekend, walking one with the bases loaded on Friday and giving up 2 runs on Saturday in 1 inning. I don't see him going long- so it could be 2 or 3 innings for PJ and then maybe RR for 5 and then someone to finish it out.

Reaction Score
I was hoping for Rossomondo who has been our midweek starter. PJ was shaky over the weekend, walking one with the bases loaded on Friday and giving up 2 runs on Saturday in 1 inning. I don't see him going long- so it could be 2 or 3 innings for PJ and then maybe RR for 5 and then someone to finish it out.

Rossomando has been extremely inconsistent during the course of any game he pitches. He doesn't seem to have earned the trust of Penders like Poulin did late in the season. Poulin has been shaky at times, but given the opportunity to wiggle out of trouble, he generally has done so late in the season. It just that this past weekend Penders didn't stay with Poulin like he has been. For example, during the Friday game Penders went right to Russell when Poulin didn't immediately extinguish the East Carolina rally in the 8th inning.

As for Rossomando, I doubt he would relieve Poulin tomorrow. The coaching staff may hold him out for a start in case they need him in a Saturday game should UConn need to go with additional starters once they have used the weekend threesome.

Reaction Score
Are any of these tourney games on TV or just streaming?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Rossomando has been extremely inconsistent during the course of any game he pitches. He doesn't seem to have earned the trust of Penders like Poulin did late in the season. Poulin has been shaky at times, but given the opportunity to wiggle out of trouble, he generally has done so late in the season. It just that this past weekend Penders didn't stay with Poulin like he has been. For example, during the Friday game Penders went right to Russell when Poulin didn't immediately extinguish the East Carolina rally in the 8th inning.

As for Rossomando, I doubt he would relieve Poulin tomorrow. The coaching staff may hold him out for a start in case they need him in a Saturday game should UConn need to go with additional starters once they have used the weekend threesome.
I thought Rossomondo was improving with each start. He could have given us 5 innings and 2 run ball in my estimation. But this is Coach Penders' team and he knows his personnel best. Hope you are correct.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom