UConn All Swagger Team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn All Swagger Team

Reaction Score
Rashad has to be on the 1st team. You realize what swagger is right??? That guy had it in spades.
100% Rashad Anderson is on the All Swagger 1st team. I loved the days when he would be so hot from 3 that he would run back down the court blowing on his hands.

I would also add Boatright, Khalid, Shabazz, Caron, and Vital. An honorable mention that does not get brought up enough is Charlie Villanueva.

Reaction Score
Who would you put on a UConn all swagger 1st team ? I would have to put 3 PGs on mine.

Khalid El-Amin - The original king of swagger, leader from day 1, clutch, and not afraid to
take on the opposing fans.

Kemba Walker - The next king of swagger and best UConn PG .

Shabazz Napier - the put you on your back clutch leader who just refused to lose, and
gave the NCAAs his thoughts.

Caron Butler - supremely confident star and leader .

Emeka Okafor - Best UConn center, and showed all his swagger on the court.

Honorable Mention:
Rashad Anderson, Ricky Moore, AJ Price, Jeff Adrien, Ryan Boatright, Doron Sheffer

I get the feeling that he won't get a lot of votes on here but AJ is a good call.

Reaction Score
Khalid El-Amin
Lyman DePriest
Caron Butler
Toraino Walker
Earl Kelley

2nd Five
Willie McCloud
Norman Bailey
Mike McKay
Kirk King
Vincente Ithier

Reaction Score
Jake was swaggy as fark

Attachments

• EDQP5-sXYAIZnqy.jpg
    EDQP5-sXYAIZnqy.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 146

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Jake was swaggy as fark

Good call, @superjohn

Loved him as a player because he knew his role and executed it well. Showed a lot of passion but I would never have put the swagger tag on him by watching him play. It took a 4 minute chat in a NYC bar in maybe 2003-04 to make me realize he was cut from a different cloth than most. A quick Google search makes me think he hasn't lost it.

1611897254786.png

Reaction Score
No mentions Ray Allen
He shot the three at 46% one year and was over 40% all three years . This is more remarkable because everyone on the opposing team prepared all week to stop him.
Other guys who shot that well were typically second or third options.
That takes a swagger ,not to be confused with cockiness.

Reaction Score
Ray didn’t have a chip on his shoulder in college. The ladies loved him and he had style, but his on court demeanor was quiet and humble. He was all business. The guys on this list had a certain toughness and/or a slight cockiness to them. Ray didn’t develop that until he was in the NBA.

I debated Dyson. He would have been on my list for sure if the wheels didn’t fall off his last year. Part of the swagger is winning. Dyson got caught up doing his own thing on and off the court and paid the price in UConn lore.

AJ should have been on my list.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Good call, @superjohn

Loved him as a player because he knew his role and executed it well. Showed a lot of passion but I would never have put the swagger tag on him by watching him play. It took a 4 minute chat in a NYC bar in maybe 2003-04 to make me realize he was cut from a different cloth than most. A quick Google search makes me think he hasn't lost it.

View attachment 64039

Man, throwing around "NBA Star" pretty loosely there.

It's like calling every adult film actress a "p0rn star."

Jake looks like a white David Ortiz in that pic. Glad to see he seems to be doing well.

Swaggiest quote by a UConn player:

Reaction Score
The dream team, the best defensive team in the history of college basketball

I'm still waiting for Dove to come back
Yup. I was going to say Nadav too. For him to come in for ONE year and completely change how that team played, make huge baskets and then talk crap to Mourning to boot. Cant imagine what would have been had he come back for a second and third season at UConn. He was a poor man’s Larry Bird.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
KEA is in a league all his own when it comes to UConn swagger.

I'd put Kemba at 2 because 2011 was the year of Kemba.

I'd put Bazz at 3 because his teammates recognized swagger when they saw it.
giphy.gif

After that it's a tossup between a bunch. And I don't really care enough.

Reaction Score
It looks like the Yard has different definitions of swagger. My definition includes charisma, a "not in my house" attitude and mouth opening plays.

Tony Robertson
Rashard Anderson
Ricky Moore
Donny Marshall
Rod Sellers

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Surprised no one has mentioned Stanley, if only for the primitive, earth shaking scream on every dunk.

Reaction Score
Swagger: Tim Coles. 6'7". We didn't get to watch him enough because they were hardly on TV but he was impressive. He was a senior and Uncle Cliffy was a freshman. Played against Ewing, Walter Berry, Rony Seikaly, Harold Pressley, Ed Pinckney, Dwayne McLain, Charles Smith. Some tough match-ups.

“We won the game by three points. I think I had 18 points and 16 rebounds against one of the best centers (Otis) in the country.”

UCONN Hoop Legends: TIM COLES

1611938245386.png

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think things have changed over the years. It also seems we all define it differently.

KEA is #1 with a bullet. I'd put Caron Butler as a solid #2. But the list behind them is pretty long. Some mentioned Kemba, and while he had incredible killer instinct confidence, he played with a smile, like Magic. When I think swagger, I also think of Mr. T. Guys who were just a little mean and played angry. Lyman Depriest certainly.

Reaction Score
Was it Donny that got into a fight one season and then had to keep his cool the rest of the year or be disqualified?

Reaction Score
I think things have changed over the years. It also seems we all define it differently.

KEA is #1 with a bullet. I'd put Caron Butler as a solid #2. But the list behind them is pretty long. Some mentioned Kemba, and while he had incredible killer instinct confidence, he played with a smile, like Magic. When I think swagger, I also think of Mr. T. Guys who were just a little mean and played angry. Lyman Depriest certainly.
Ryan Boatright is your answer, he came to UConn 5'10 155 lbs. and always thought he was the toughest mothereffer on the court.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ryan Boatright is your answer, he came to UConn 5'10 155 lbs. and always thought he was the toughest mothereffer on the court.

I would agree he had that more than Shabbaz did. Tough dude. Earl Kelly had a bit of that. We forget some of the old time guys, but Jim built some mean teams back then. He had to. Remember Toraino Walker? Obviously an unfortunate life post UConn, but he brought that attitude to the court.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Shad - just chock full of confidence and happy to let you know it.
Kemba - He knew he's make the biggest shots, hell everyone arena knew he would, and he'd be smiling while he did.
Bazz - "You looking at the Hungry Huskies. You ban us. This is what you get." (My favorite Husky quote.)
Ricky Moore - I take you back to 1999. Rickey Moore is carrying us on offense while saying "They can't guard me"
(My second favorite Husky quote.)
Boat - Best stank face in the game.

Reaction Score
Was it Donny that got into a fight one season and then had to keep his cool the rest of the year or be disqualified?
Yep Donny was the first guy I thought of
But swagger is more than a chip or cockiness it’s an air of
confidence. That gives everyone else on the team confidence. Ray , Rip, Emeka,Ben ,, Kemba and to a lesser.
degree Bazz and Donyell were the epitome of that kind of swagger.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom