UConn Adds $150,000 To Contract With NCAA Law Firm (Courant) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Adds $150,000 To Contract With NCAA Law Firm (Courant)

Reaction Score
I read through the bios. Very experienced with issues with the NCAA and they have been involved with many schools.

From one bio:

"She has extensive, first-hand experience with the major infractions case process, as she played a key role in preparing the universities’ response to the allegations and attended COI hearings on behalf of the University of Southern California, the University of Michigan, the University of North Carolina, the University of South Carolina, the University of Southern Mississippi, the University of Hawaii and the University of Mississippi. Hallett has also worked extensively on high profile eligibility matters that the firm has handled, including the Cam Newton, Johnny Manziel and Todd Gurley investigations."

Lots of ties to the state of Alabama, so I would guess that Benedict was involved with the choice.

I thought that too.

But, honestly, how many law firms have a specialized NCAA practice? I would think this would be one of only a few.

Does anyone know who the school has used in the past when dealing with the NCAA?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Lightfoot, Franklin, and White?? Let's settle this one!

General_Stockwell_Robert_Vaughn_2.jpg

Reaction Score
Not by name, but IIRC UConn's previously hired a Kansas City-based firm with extensive NCAA contacts and experience.

Smooth talking southerners seem to have a way with the NCAA.

I think we made the right choice with the new firm.

Reaction Score
300 bucks an hour?
Have you hired electricians? Plumbers? Excavators?
Or, reasonably well-qualified accountants? Or, relatively well respected tree guys? A la yesterday's $7K quote received for an estimated day to 1 1/2 day's dead/dying tree removal, good tree trimming, etc? Thanks, no thanks ... going with one of two other well-insured tree guys who came in at half of over-advertised Mr Arborist.

Seriously @Travelman32?
For attorneys from relatively highly respected firms? You weren't kidding, right? What would you expect to be billed?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
You're joking, right?

A quality firm up here normally charges quite a bit more than that for their services.

No they're not joking. To some of us it seems like $300/hr is an awful lot for "anything". Fortunately there are many among us who are not familiar with these types of fees and hopefully we will continue to not be familiar with them :p

Reaction Score
No they're not joking. To some of us it seems like $300/hr is an awful lot for "anything". Fortunately there are many among us who are not familiar with these types of fees and hopefully we will continue to not be familiar with them :p
Hopefully, we will not continue to be familiar with whom? A) Respected law firms to keep UConn out of, or to limit, NCAA trouble, B) Boneyarders with apparently limited awareness to borderline ignorance of the costs of doing business or obtaining well-respected legal represenation, 3) A+B hybrid, 4) Other TBD? :rolleyes:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can only imagine how that initial phone call went:

Herbst: The NCAA is investigation our men’s basketball program, and we need representation.

Law firm guy: ok, we can do that ...

Herbst: What are the likely consequences if they prove our coach has been cutting corners?

Law firm guy: Most likely? You’d have to fire your coach. But don’t worry, we’ll put our best people on this right away so that doesn’t happen.

Herbst: Well, there’s no reason to get carried away.
"Best people? How much for your worst people?"

Reaction Score
For comparison’s sake, KO bills out at $342 an hour: $3 million / (365 x 24) = $342.

Or $96,774 a game (based on 31 reg season games)

For 20 minutes, this guy gets $48,387

Ughhh

Reaction Score
You're joking, right?

A quality firm up here normally charges quite a bit more than that for their services.

I was gonna say - $300 an hour for an attorney is actually concerning for me the other way - in that cheap attorneys are usually *really, really bad* attorneys.

Reaction Score
I read through the bios. Very experienced with issues with the NCAA and they have been involved with many schools.

From one bio:

"She has extensive, first-hand experience with the major infractions case process, as she played a key role in preparing the universities’ response to the allegations and attended COI hearings on behalf of the University of Southern California, the University of Michigan, the University of North Carolina, the University of South Carolina, the University of Southern Mississippi, the University of Hawaii and the University of Mississippi. Hallett has also worked extensively on high profile eligibility matters that the firm has handled, including the Cam Newton, Johnny Manziel and Todd Gurley investigations."

Lots of ties to the state of Alabama, so I would guess that Benedict was involved with the choice.

Lightfoot is like a 3* recruit comparatively speaking. Picture Terrence Samuel as a lawyer. I loved TSAM! I have east coast bias though.

Reaction Score

_____
Fantastic. How many / what hi profile / significant cases have they WON?? Where's the PR? How many rabbits pulled from thin air? Are they limited to grammar school intramurals?

A NYC / WDC firm could prob do some real damage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom