UConn Adds $150,000 To Contract With NCAA Law Firm (Courant) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Adds $150,000 To Contract With NCAA Law Firm (Courant)

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
How do most average, middle class and "lower middle class" americans (ie the majority) even afford decent representation if they need it?
Well, if it's a legal issue we always have "If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you." Outside of that, no clue how you afford one.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How do most average, middle class and "lower middle class" americans (ie the majority) even afford decent representation if they need it?
That's a big problem for just about anything other than a plaintiff's personal injury case, for which lawyers are paid a contingency fee (usually 1/3) of whatever is recovered.

In Connecticut and several other states there are efforts underway to enact "Civil Gideon" programs to provide legal services to low income people when basic human needs (e.g., shelter, health, safety, sustenance) are at stake.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Enough work? Say hello to Michigan State, Penn State, Baylor, UNC and Louisville. These programs would require the largest law firms.
Yes, as I said, this was around 20 years ago, and I wasn't contemplating moving out of CT.

Reaction Score
That's a big problem for just about anything other than a plaintiff's personal injury case, for which lawyers are paid a contingency fee (usually 1/3) of whatever is recovered.

In Connecticut and several other states there are efforts underway to enact "Civil Gideon" programs to provide legal services to low income people when basic human needs (e.g., shelter, health, safety, sustenance) are at stake.

Reaction Score
Third, $300 per hour for the top lawyers at the firm who are working on this is very low, at least compared to rates in the Northeast.
I can attest to that. The partner in Boston that we use for most of our stuff is almost $600 an hour and I just finished something where we needed specific legal expertise and those 2 attorneys were about $1000 an hour. Now that was totally absurd and I did complain.

Reaction Score
Thats a bargain. I am very concerned about the quality of our lawyers. No Cuse grads I hope, but why else so cheap?
I had lawyers tell me they don't think they can win my case. I go into some type of courtroom and a judge lets me represent myself. The judge tells me what constitutes evidence for me to prove my case. I am given time to take care of that and win the case. Was such an easy case, too.

Lawyers just look for really easy money. What a surprise, right? They don't want to do the work unless really paid enough!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I had lawyers tell me they don't think they can win my case. I go into some type of courtroom and a judge lets me represent myself. The judge tells me what constitutes evidence for me to prove my case. I am given time to take care of that and win the case. Was such an easy case, too.

Lawyers just look for really easy money. What a surprise, right? They don't want to do the work unless really paid enough!

Next time please give us a headsup. I want to be in the gallery.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I can only imagine how that initial phone call went:

Herbst: The NCAA is investigation our men’s basketball program, and we need representation.

Law firm guy: ok, we can do that ...

Herbst: What are the likely consequences if they prove our coach has been cutting corners?

Law firm guy: Most likely? You’d have to fire your coach. But don’t worry, we’ll put our best people on this right away so that doesn’t happen.

Herbst: Well, there’s no reason to get carried away.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who / what / why is Lightfoot, Franklin & White of Birmingham, Ala?? Is this all they could find?

Reaction Score
Who / what / why is Lightfoot, Franklin & White of Birmingham, Ala?? Is this all they could find?

They have entire practice group devoted to NCAA issues.

I think the choice is just fine.

Reaction Score
I read through the bios. Very experienced with issues with the NCAA and they have been involved with many schools.

From one bio:

"She has extensive, first-hand experience with the major infractions case process, as she played a key role in preparing the universities’ response to the allegations and attended COI hearings on behalf of the University of Southern California, the University of Michigan, the University of North Carolina, the University of South Carolina, the University of Southern Mississippi, the University of Hawaii and the University of Mississippi. Hallett has also worked extensively on high profile eligibility matters that the firm has handled, including the Cam Newton, Johnny Manziel and Todd Gurley investigations."

Lots of ties to the state of Alabama, so I would guess that Benedict was involved with the choice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom