UConn Adds $150,000 To Contract With NCAA Law Firm (Courant) | The Boneyard

UConn Adds $150,000 To Contract With NCAA Law Firm (Courant)

Reaction Score
UConn Adds $150,000 To Contract With NCAA Law Firm

>>Last April, the state signed a three-year contract with Lightfoot, Franklin & White of Birmingham, Ala., to provide a broad array of legal consulting services on NCAA-compliance matters at UConn, with a cap of $100,000.

In December, the contract was amended to increase the maximum payment to $250,000.<<

>>The contract with UConn calls for fees ranging from $150 an hour for work done by paralegals to $300 an hour for work done by either of the two attorneys who lead the firm’s NCAA practice.<<

Reaction Score
Seems like the university is expecting this to drag out. Not good.

Reaction Score
A large group of CT residents and hardcore Uconn fans should camp out in front of the NCAA main office and protest emmert and the ncaa as a whole. This is becoming absurd. Or at least blast the NCAA, etc. on social media like crazy.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Seems like the university is expecting this to drag out. Not good.
A few thoughts.

First, the contract was amended in December. It is just being reported now. Second, it's a three year contract that initially had a max payout of $100,000, and now it allows them to spend an additional $150,000. Sounds to me like they simply burned through more than expected in the first eight months of the engagement and need to allow for more in light of the investigation. Third, $300 per hour for the top lawyers at the firm who are working on this is very low, at least compared to rates in the Northeast.

Reaction Score
300 bucks an hour? , that is exorbitant. How can that even be justified?

Reaction Score
A few thoughts.

First, the contract was amended in December. It is just being reported now. Second, it's a three year contract that initially had a max payout of $100,000, and now it allows them to spend an additional $150,000. Sounds to me like they simply burned through more than expected in the first eight months of the engagement and need to allow for more in light of the investigation. Third, $300 per hour for the top lawyers at the firm who are working on this is very low, at least compared to rates in the Northeast.

The fact that they have an "NCAA Practice" is, at once, incredible, hilarious and sad.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
300 bucks an hour? , that is exorbitant. How can that even be justified?
Obviously you have never hired or been involved with attorneys that specialize in certain areas
This is a cheap rate IMO

The Courant is now in proactive mode - they don't want Jacobs to beat them to any story so now they are putting crap out there just to put it out there - this stuff was done in December
This doesn't mean a hell of a lot

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The fact that they have an "NCAA Practice" is, at once, incredible, hilarious and sad.
I think it's awesome.

I worked on a matter around 20 years ago that involved NCAA compliance for men's Div 1 basketball (not UConn) and I had to learn the rule book. I thought it was pretty cool and that it would have been an interesting specialty if there was enough work to warrant it.

Reaction Score
I am happy that it seems they hired the best of the best when it comes to this stuff.

It means that they have experience with these NCAA people and probably have some sort of relationship and familiarity with them, which can only help us.

Reaction Score
I think there could be some good here. Once we're cleared, we alert the NCAA towards suspected issues with recruiting practices at Duke and Kentucky and they'll have massive, multi-year investigations, right?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I think it's awesome.

I worked on a matter around 20 years ago that involved NCAA compliance for men's Div 1 basketball (not UConn) and I had to learn the rule book. I thought it was pretty cool and that it would have been an interesting specialty if there was enough work to warrant it.

You mistimed it. UConn and Syracuse alone wouldve kept you up to your ears in esoteric coffee makers in the last 15 years

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I think there could be some good here. Once we're cleared, we alert the NCAA towards suspected issues with recruiting practices at Duke and Kentucky and they'll have massive, multi-year investigations, right?
In a normal setting, yes. But the NCAA is not normal. We're being investigated because they don't want to investigate Duke, UNC, Kentucky and all the other cash cows.

Reaction Score
A large group of CT residents and hardcore Uconn fans should camp out in front of the NCAA main office and protest emmert and the ncaa as a whole. This is becoming absurd. Or at least blast the NCAA, etc. on social media like crazy.
Sounds good I will meet you there.

Reaction Score
Obviously you have never hired or been involved with attorneys that specialize in certain areas
This is a cheap rate IMO

The Courant is now in proactive mode - they don't want Jacobs to beat them to any story so now they are putting crap out there just to put it out there - this stuff was done in December
This doesn't mean a hell of a lot

Probably means they were alerted to the investigation in December, which I believe is new info.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm an accountant and I bill out at more than that.
How do most average, middle class and "lower middle class" americans (ie the majority) even afford decent representation if they need it?

Reaction Score
I think it's awesome.

Enough work? Say hello to Michigan State, Penn State, Baylor, UNC and Louisville. These programs would require the largest law firms.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom