UConn AD WM to “discuss the search for a new football coach” tomorrow @the Rent | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn AD WM to “discuss the search for a new football coach” tomorrow @the Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You had this same whiney attitude about Ollie (he wasn't proven enough for you) and you could not have been more wrong about that.
I'm not even going to discuss Ollie until he actually does something. first chance comes in March. In major college basketball that and only that is what counts. the rest are basically exhibition games.

Reaction Score
Palatine reported that Casey was just wearing a T-shirt during the Husky walk. I'd be willing to bet I know who Casey wants to have the job.
Don't underestimate the players' opinion on TJ, that counts. If the players aren't on board you have nothing (witness the Buffalo game)

Wouldn't overestimate player's opinion of TJ either. Yeah, our guys like winning a couple games but it's not like the guy invented the forward pass or anything.

But yes, timing is weird but literally zero indication it will be TJ. More likely a thank you and here's our gameplan for an actual announcement...but what do I know.....

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I'm not even going to discuss Ollie until he actually does something. first chance comes in March. In major college basketball that and only that is what counts. the rest are basically exhibition games.

What a moron. I guess Bazz just won a exhibition game and it doesn't count much. .

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Seriously? You guys think that the best guy we can get is 2-5 in his career and best case he'll be 3-5 with wins over Temple and Rutgers and maybe Memphis but losses to SMU and South Florida? glad you guys have a high opinion of UConn's future as a football program...Nobody would make that kind of a hire. I doubt we will.
That's not what I said.

Personally, of the names bandied about, I like Narduzzi the best.

But - IF it's announced that it's Weist - it'll be because he was evaluated as having the necessary ability and skill set to win. It's very simplistic to say "he only has 2 wins!" to the guy that inherited a shtstorm. You don't KNOW that he would be a bad hire. You just react negatively to everything.

I hope we get a guy that has a bit more evidence to support the hire. But UConn Football is NOT over if it's Weist.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Maybe the hoard is incredibly lazy and Warde wants to use the opportunity to get his search buzz out in as many outlets as possible? They won't drive to Storrs to listen to him babble about timelines and his process but they will all be there for the game anyway so might as well seize the opportunity to get his message out. I'm also sure he'll reiterate his good guy "I didn't want to talk to anybody during someone else's season" message that should soothe tensions and get us into the B1G immediately following our win over Memphis.

Reaction Score
I'm not even going to discuss Ollie until he actually does something.

Bingo, that's exactly why you have no credibility on this subject. In your opinion Ollie has done nothing.

Good Grief!

sdhusky

Reaction Score
That's not what I said.

Personally, of the names bandied about, I like Narduzzi the best.

But - IF it's announced that it's Weist - it'll be because he was evaluated as having the necessary ability and skill set to win. It's very simplistic to say "he only has 2 wins!" to the guy that inherited a shtstorm. You don't KNOW that he would be a bad hire. You just react negatively to everything.

I hope we get a guy that has a bit more evidence to support the hire. But UConn Football is NOT over if it's Weist.

Exactly. I don't give a crap about winning news conferences. If its Weist, I will believe he can be successful until proven otherwise.

Personally, I'd like DeRuyter but I'm not going to have a tantrum if it isn't him.

And I don't give a crap about how the process "looks". Get me a guy that wins over the next few years, anyhow, anyway, anyone.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Bingo, that's exactly why you have no credibility on this subject. In your opinion Ollie has done nothing.

Good Grief!

If businesslawyer is the new coach, will he call plays from 241?

Reaction Score
Geeezus we are a bunch of self-entitled mother foxxers. Guy has been secretive so far and we bitch. We get a cryptic announcement that he will be talking about the search tomorrow and we bitch. Bitch Bitch Bitch. This is why we can't have nice things

I disagree Skibs. It's the timing that's at the least is odd and at the worst is bad. Two hours before kickoff of the last game doesn't make a whole lot of sense. After the game would make much, much more sense. Let TJ coach the damn game without any more drama than is alread there.

Just can't think of a case where an AD did this on gameday ahead of kickoff.

Maybe it's Lembo. DeRuyter, Narduzzi and Herman all have games later that day.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't overestimate player's opinion of TJ either. Yeah, our guys like winning a couple games but it's not like the guy invented the forward pass or anything.

But yes, timing is weird but literally zero indication it will be TJ. More likely a thank you and here's our gameplan for an actual announcement...but what do I know.....

It's just odd to do that before the game. Do that after the game. Don't do something that distracts from the game about to be played.

However, if it's TJ you do this to fire up the troops and get the announcement out first in case we lose the Memphis game.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That's an odd statement. Even Calhoun had teams that were supposed to go to the Big Dance that missed (i.e. 2009-10).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The names listed in the article are a combination of who SB nation was guessing (Foster, et al) and who the author is guessing (Ambrose, Whip). Anyone reading more into those names is wasting a good amount of time and effort.

My guess is that the press conference is to thank the fans for their patience, thank the current members of the football coaching staff, primarily the interim HC for their time, let them know that no matter how the job search turns out their efforts have been appreciated and their continued employment at the school is not out of the realm of possibility (even though that will be entirely the new HC's decision). To give the fans some (very minor) insight into the depth and bradth of the coaching search, the assure them that this will not be a repeat of Hathaway picking P and to assure the fans that the school is committed to building the football program into something that can stand shoulder to shoulder with the other top athletic programs at UConn.

This will be PR move that won't tell us much more than we already know but will also keep people from losing their minds because USC & UW have been quicker than we've been in hiring a head coach.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
On another note is my imagination but does Warde look like a tick? With his giant head and neck stuffed into his suit,just trying to lighten the mood here, remember we're all on the same team for better or worse. So get along boys! That's means you Mets and SD!

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
The names listed in the article are a combination of who SB nation was guessing (Foster, et al) and who the author is guessing (Ambrose, Whip). Anyone reading more into those names is wasting a good amount of time and effort.

My guess is that the press conference is to thank the fans for their patience, thank the current members of the football coaching staff, primarily the interim HC for their time, let them know that no matter how the job search turns out their efforts have been appreciated and their continued employment at the school is not out of the realm of possibility (even though that will be entirely the new HC's decision). To give the fans some (very minor) insight into the depth and bradth of the coaching search, the assure them that this will not be a repeat of Hathaway picking P and to assure the fans that the school is committed to building the football program into something that can stand shoulder to shoulder with the other top athletic programs at UConn.

This will be PR move that won't tell us much more than we already know but will also keep people from losing their minds because USC & UW have been quicker than we've been in hiring a head coach.
Ok let's drink bro!

Reaction Score
I have never been one who has bought into this "we need to hire a name" talk. That's just Boneyard rubbish.

UConn needs to hire someone who is worthy of the market rate salary for a top 25 program. This is no time to go cheap or unproven. If that means "name" so be it.

Reaction Score

This would be the best result but WM really, really ought to reconsider the timing of the presser. Unless he's announcing TJ has the gig full time -- unneccessarily putting extra pressure on him to win Saturday -- he should wait until after the game.

Reaction Score
I agree.

I think everything has been worked out and the new coach is going to announced.

Clawson or DeRuyter

DeRuyter has a game late Saturday night.

Reaction Score
I think we should take a step back and consider what is actually going to occur at 11am and wait to find out what will occur.

While the article posted by ctnews.com says that it will be a "press conference" the Hartford Courant states: "Of Note: UConn athletic director Warde Manuel will meet with the media before the game to discuss his plans regarding the search for the next football coach."
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-memphis-capsule-1207-20131202,0,5538173.story

"Press Conference" and "Will meet with the media" are 2 different things. If it is a press conference, there is something to announce. If he is meeting with the media, it is just a Q and A.

Reaction Score
I think we should take a step back and consider what is actually going to occur at 11am and wait to find out what will occur.

While the article posted by ctnews.com says that it will be a "press conference" the Hartford Courant states: "Of Note: UConn athletic director Warde Manuel will meet with the media before the game to discuss his plans regarding the search for the next football coach."
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-memphis-capsule-1207-20131202,0,5538173.story

"Press Conference" and "Will meet with the media" are 2 different things. If it is a press conference, there is something to announce. If he is meeting with the media, it is just a Q and A.

Geeez, way to bring me back down to earth :)

Now I have to watch the Bowling Green game tonight.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Me thinks you be picking at nits. They are one in the same. Meeting = Conference. Press = media.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Me thinks you be picking at nits. They are one in the same. Meeting = Conference. Press = media.

No. A press conference is very different.

My optimistic side thinks that WM has his guy and its a high profile guy and he wants to create a little buzz.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
"Meeting" gets me excited; "press conference" puts me down.

Meeting it is!

Reaction Score
Hi... my name is Turner Gill and I'm the new head coach at the University of Connecticut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom