UConn AD WM to “discuss the search for a new football coach” tomorrow @the Rent | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn AD WM to “discuss the search for a new football coach” tomorrow @the Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
That's a dumb thing to say. Now you sound like Nelson.

If Warde thinks TJ has what it takes he should hire him, case closed, Boneyard opinion be Dambed, No matter who Warde hires, if that coach fails Warde's job will be on the line.

Sorry Mets, but your assessment here is off a bit. It's not just about Boneyard opinion, but CFB opinion. And it's not just Warde's job on the line, but the university's future competing at the top levels. Institutionally, we can't afford bad perception or a bad hire. I don't know that TJ is a bad hire, but I do know he is not a positive for perception.

Reaction Score
If the best we can do is a guy who will have at best be 3-5 then we really need to re-think this entire venture. Seriously. Or the entire Athletic Department leadership. Or both.

Reaction Score
As opposed to where Zoo? Won't all the applicable media be @ the Rent for the game anyways?

He could have held it today on campus. The timing and venue are meaningful. Providing an update without specifics is a waste of everyone's time.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
It was starting to smell like Weist after earlier this week. It's been that way long before the first win was registered. All you need is buy-in from the kids and that happened awhile ago. Now they are finally winning.
Winning against the 3 worst teams in the conference doesn't mean that he should get the job -- PP could have won these games too.

Reaction Score
Sorry Mets, but your assessment here is off a bit. It's not just about Boneyard opinion, but CFB opinion. And it's not just Warde's job on the line, but the university's future competing at the top levels. Institutionally, we can't afford bad perception or a bad hire. I don't know that TJ is a bad hire, but I do know he is not a positive for perception.

I have never been one who has bought into this "we need to hire a name" talk. That's just Boneyard rubbish.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Very odd considering that most of the diehard fanbase will be in the parking lot at the time of the presser. The PC will address either Weist being named head coach or to give the press a generic timeline of what to expect in the coming week(s).

Reaction Score
He could have held it today on campus. The timing and venue are meaningful. Providing an update without specifics is a waste of everyone's time.

Unless he's not on campus today... ;)

I do agree that announcing a "new to UConn" coach before the game would be oddest of odd.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I have never been one who has bought into this "we need to hire a name" talk. That's just Boneyard rubbish.

We need to worry about selling tickets in 2014 too. If the coaching underwhelms, we might not break 15K season tickets sold after this miserable season and no Michigan game to pimp up.

Reaction Score
I don't think we need to hire a name either, but we need to hire someone with more of a resume than Weist. We simply do, or we need to follow Nelson's advice and get out of this business, maybe see if we can still play in the MAC or the Sunbelt or the CAA.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Unless he's not on campus today... ;)

I do agree that announcing a "new to UConn" coach before the game would be oddest of odd.
The only way announcing a new coach before the game makes sense would be to offer thanks to TJ prior to his final game and for the fans to cheer him on, etc.

Reaction Score
Until I can see the official release from the school, this has to be some kind of mole hunt or a sports writer snafu on source or something. The alternative is too disturbing.

Reaction Score
This is odd. Why not do this after the game if all WM's going to talk about is what the process is going to be?

Reaction Score
If the best we can do is a guy who will have at best be 3-5 then we really need to re-think this entire venture. Seriously. Or the entire Athletic Department leadership. Or both.

You had this same whiney attitude about Ollie (he wasn't proven enough for you) and you could not have been more wrong about that.

Reaction Score
Did he not say after P was fired that he would not say anything until the season is over? Tomorrow, it's over. He will stand up and say, as promised, I want to talk about the process - we want a winner, we believe in UConn and we're going to get the best man .... and then open up for questions.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see the release by the university referenced in this statement from the blog post in the OP. I'm not questioning it's existence, just saying that I can't find it any of the usual places I'd see such a thing, and I didn't get any notice of such a thing through the usual methods I would get notices about stuff from the university.

From the posted article:
The UConn athletic director is going to host an 11 a.m. press conference at Rentschler Field on Saturday “to discuss the search for a new football coach” – according to a release by the university.

Reaction Score
We need to worry about selling tickets in 2014 too. If the coaching underwhelms, we might not break 15K season tickets sold after this miserable season and no Michigan game to pimp up.

We also need to start winning soon (next year would be nice), we can't afford to go through another 3 year purge and rebuild process.

The losers that were on this staff have already been eliminated. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It isn't going to be Weist. He is not going to say anything of substance, just some very vanilla blather about finding the best man for the job and such. But he has to give the folks something and this is it. If I'm wrong and he hires Weist, I hope he also announces that he is resigning and becoming AD at Southern North Dakota and that UConn is dropping its football program down to 1AA again, because that's where this is headed.
I am shocked and surprised at your negative outlook. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
it's all very simple
the game is a pick'em......warde is gonna give tj the job
money swings to uconn then he bets the ranch and takes memphis with the points

Reaction Score
Seriously? You guys think that the best guy we can get is 2-5 in his career and best case he'll be 3-5 with wins over Temple and Rutgers and maybe Memphis but losses to SMU and South Florida? glad you guys have a high opinion of UConn's future as a football program...Nobody would make that kind of a hire. I doubt we will.

Dooley

Reaction Score
We also need to start winning soon (next year would be nice), we can't afford to go through another 3 year purge and rebuild process.

The losers that were on this staff have already been eliminated. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I hear ya. The diehards like you and I and many Boneyarders here will be at the Rent next year if it's Weist. I'm just not so sure about the casual fan. We definitely need to win to get out of the AAC but we also need to do it in front of 40K. The schedule itself isn't going to sell tickets to the casual fan and I think most casual fans are looking for a "name" to stay on board.

Reaction Score
Just my kooky mind at work, but since I can not find anything about a press conference directly from the school, yet it's being picked up by local writers, and referenced as direct school release of info as such, this smells like an intentional leak of information to guage fan interest/response on retaining Weist as head coach.

If that is case, I like TJ Weist, and I would be curious to see who could be brought on staff to fill the two vacant positions, and what he would do with current staff, but my prediction is that the general fan reaction would be quite poor.

If there is going to be a press conference as described, the only logical purpose would be to announce Weist as the next coach, and if that's the case, Manuel better have taken a lesson from old Lew, and have an impressive list of names that he did interview for the job, and would be able to confirm being interviewed, but turned down, and a good reason as to why.

Reaction Score
I don't think they are looking for a name necessarily, but a change in direction. Promoting a member of this staff isn' t going to provide that.

Reaction Score
I'm still confused as to why the hell we NEED to have this presser. Completely pointless if you ask me. Just do your search and make an announcement after you've decided. Ughhhhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom