UConn AD Warde Manuel Proceeding As If Calhoun Will Stay | The Boneyard

UConn AD Warde Manuel Proceeding As If Calhoun Will Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Agreed. Forcing KO down the school's throat will hurt his legacy, not help it.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I agree, but Jim is starting to test my faith, and that's not a very easy thing to do

Reaction Score
Sorry, folks. But you can't have it both ways.

Given the tight time situation, with formal practices begining in just about one month, giving Kevin Ollie the opportunity to demonstrate he has what it takes to be a successful head coach seems like an excellent way to go, IMHO.

Consider the fact that a national search (assuming that Coach C retires immediately) would have two immediate negative consequences.

First, it would seriously disrupt the upcoming season with respect to the uncertaincies related to an interim coach.

And second, it would also seriously disrupt the upcoming season for any school whose coach applies for the position to become the new head coach at UConn.

(Aren't there rules against tampering?)

Not a good PR move!

Peace,

John Fryer

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think you're reading the reactions here correctly, John F. If Calhoun retires tomorrow, there will be an interim coach - no one is suggesting a national search because that is just not possible at this time of year. That is all understood.

Now, here is the fly in the ointment....

If JC retires now, who is going to be named the interim coach? Ollie....or the three other guys who have actually already been head coaches? My hunch is that our presumption that Ollie would be named is not nearly certain.

Second, if Ollie is interim coach, what a crappy year for a try-out. We're going to struggle no matter who the coach is - in my opinion, it would be unfair for Ollie to have to take up the reigns of potentially the worst UConn team in quite some time. Why not just hand the man a live grenade and wish him well?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Second, if Ollie is interim coach, what a crappy year for a try-out. We're going to struggle no matter who the coach is - in my opinion, it would be unfair for Ollie to have to take up the reigns of potentially the worst UConn team in quite some time. Why not just hand the man a live grenade and wish him well?

But everybody (mostly everybody) knows that. There are low expectations. If they stay involved and pick off a good team or two, people will fall all over him with praise. They are still good enough to beat all of the patsies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
But everybody (mostly everybody) knows that. There are low expectations. If they stay involved and pick off a good team or two, people will fall all over him with praise. They are still good enough to beat all of the patsies.

This and Fishy's point are the prevailing opinions from those of us with an interest in the matter. Some of us think this is the perfect time for KO because expectations are low. Some of us think the situation with the team is so bad that any coach running the team will be digging himself in a hole after this season. And since both opinions exist they both have merit because that is how we judge things - from our points of view and because the events haven't been proven.

The funny thing is that all of us are out of the loop of decision. Events will play out in spite of our beliefs. The only thing we can do as fans, boosters and alumni is muddy the waters because of our own jaded egos.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think you're reading the reactions here correctly, John F. If Calhoun retires tomorrow, there will be an interim coach - no one is suggesting a national search because that is just not possible at this time of year. That is all understood.

Now, here is the fly in the ointment....

If JC retires now, who is going to be named the interim coach? Ollie....or the three other guys who have actually already been head coaches? My hunch is that our presumption that Ollie would be named is not nearly certain.

The timing of the decision effectively limits us to our existing staff. So you've got a choice of Ollie, Blaney, Hobbs or Miller at the start of a meaningless season. If you choose Ollie you keep Calhoun as a fundraiser, PR treasure. If you choose one of the others, you don't. Blaney will take himself out of the running, so which of Hobbs or Miller is worth alienating Jim?

Add to that that the kids we're recruiting like KO. Add to that the programs biggest best ambassador, Ray Allen, has already endorsed Kevin, and the decision is pretty certain, in my opinion.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Have you seen the way these halfwits act after a loss?

Reaction Score
The timing of the decision effectively limits us to our existing staff. So you've got a choice of Ollie, Blaney, Hobbs or Miller at the start of a meaningless season. If you choose Ollie you keep Calhoun as a fundraiser, PR treasure. If you choose one of the others, you don't. Blaney will take himself out of the running, so which of Hobbs or Miller is worth alienating Jim?

Some have suggested Blaney will ride off to the sunset with JC. I wonder if all the assistants other than KO might decline the interim gig due to loyalty to JC. That might force the KO choice but might not be good career moves for Hobbs or Miller going forward. Some interesting dilemmas for all involved!

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Even though our talent level (ie front court) is unproven, if Ollie needs a year with training wheels on to find chemistry & make some mistakes, it's this season. The Heat gets turned up 1,000 degrees when you're trying to make Selection Sunday.

Reaction Score
My guess on Calhoun coaching this year before the hip injury: 78.92%
After: 21.18%

Whatever dastardly plan some of you imagine Calhoun has concocted, it really doesn't matter. This hip injury is enough to call it the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom