UConn AD returns to Phoenix area, where he once worked for Arizona State (AzCentral) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn AD returns to Phoenix area, where he once worked for Arizona State (AzCentral)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Any chance Arizona State has a Men's Hockey Coach opening that he can take with him to ASU?
ASU should have a top-5 hockey program every year. Can you imagine how easy it is to get the top Canadian recruits to commit by taking them for a stroll around that big swimming pool on campus with the bikini-clad co-eds sunning themselves in mid-February?

Reaction Score
Regardless of my thoughts on him or the job he's done, I think the timing of this article is inappropriate.

I'll need to read it for better context, but my initial reaction is to wonder why a nothing piece about "returning to the Phoenix" area is getting published now. The implications are pretty obvious, and he must have known that when he agreed to speak to the reporter and provide quotable content about his connections to the institution and the area.

Regardless of how disinterested the players may be, any story that serves as even a minor distraction and/ or makes the trip about him seems inappropriate. This could have waited four days.

I also have to question him being in Arizona tweeting about takeout (and likely interviewing for a new position) even before the team arrived. Stay focused until this weekend is over and THEN do your interviews or whatever. Not great that he was already out there, comfortable, and doing interviews like this while the team was stuck back home.
Agree. An AD in his position with his team in the Final Four just needs to say "no comment" on anything other than UConn until after the tournament.

Reaction Score
kevin-durant-the-warriors.gif

Reaction Score
I maybe nitpicking ,but I thought it said more like his brother getting the resources!
I agree. I’m saying it sounds like DB is gone and Hurley was making a point that UConn gives Dan more to work with than Bobby.

Basically Hurley pointing out to DB that Bobby needs more resources like he has in Storrs.

Reaction Score
I looked at the Arizona State AD finances. You might not believe it, but they are worse than UConn's. High institutional support and student fees. Operating deficit before support and student fees of about $30 million PLUS the AD has $319 million in debt! To make matters worse, University of Arizona's AD has similar financial problems and UA is facing serious financial issues as a university due to accounting issues.

And, many ASU sports are struggling as they move to the Big 12. Football is rebuilding (6-18 last 2 years) and they are losing 3 of the 4 highest drawing attendance schools, USC, UCLA, and Oregon as they move to the Big 12. As for basketball, ASU has won 2 NCAA games in the past 28 years. Women's basketball? Last 3 seasons with losing records including 4-32 in the Pac 12 in the past 2 years. ASU baseball? They haven't won a conference championship since 2010. ASU softball? Lost their successful coach to Texas A&M before last season and her replacement had a losing record last year.

Whoever takes over as AD at ASU has their work cut out for them.

Reaction Score
I looked at the Arizona State AD finances. You might not believe it, but they are worse than UConn's. High institutional support and student fees. Operating deficit before support and student fees of about $30 million PLUS the AD has $319 million in debt! To make matters worse, University of Arizona's AD has similar financial problems and UA is facing serious financial issues as a university due to accounting issues.

And, many ASU sports are struggling as they move to the Big 12. Football is rebuilding (6-18 last 2 years) and they are losing 3 of the 4 highest drawing attendance schools, USC, UCLA, and Oregon as they move to the Big 12. As for basketball, ASU has won 2 NCAA games in the past 28 years. Women's basketball? Last 3 seasons with losing records including 4-32 in the Pac 12 in the past 2 years. ASU baseball? They haven't won a conference championship since 2010. ASU softball? Lost their successful coach to Texas A&M before last season and her replacement had a losing record last year.

Pretty sure they are a hockey school now

Reaction Score
I'm sure DB felt he had a good chance to take us to a power conference when he took the job. Sadly, as football is everything and our program is next to nothing, we are going nowhere. If he leaves for any job, explain to me why a superior candidate would take this job just to ride the two basketball trains. It would be a stepping stone job for a young person.

Reaction Score

So, really low bar for success?

Reaction Score
Dave needs to pull a Kenny Powers, sneak across the border into Mexico, Steal Ollie's identity, buy a Denali, and manage the Charros. It's logical.

Reaction Score
I propose Ray Allen for our AD. He’s OCD. I guarantee all courts will be symmetrical, planes will be operational and on time and all beds and hotels will be meticulous.
And all players will have suitable e-companions to keep them from getting lonely

Reaction Score
Is there not one alumnus we could find to do this job next? Are we not a school capable of producing graduates capable of holding the job?
Who wants to be Ted’s lackey and promote Hartford 24/7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom