UConn AD David Benedict (not surprisingly) recommends continuing with the termination... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn AD David Benedict (not surprisingly) recommends continuing with the termination...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As a non lawyer, the bottomline is the dismissed employee believes he needs more money than he can realistically receive. That creates a gap until his counsel or union reels him in with some reality about what went on under his watch and the consequences.
I'm sure that they discussed it with him. A lot of this may be posturing for settlement. We'll see. I think the FOIA shot over the bow was a mistake. It could have been done much more subtly.

Reaction Score
Don’t have “Confirmed” level information on that.
In general, Kevin’s future divorce payments and life style has made it difficult for him to reasonably assess the case, in my opinion. Union lawyers, who win or get good settlements in many cases also have not adjusted to the stakes. The stakes here are in the millions rather than tens of thousands - so the school is willing to take it further.

Has the gag order been lifted?

HALLELUJAH.
tenor.gif

C

Chief00

I'm sure that they discussed it with him. A lot of this may be posturing for settlement. We'll see. I think the FOIA shot over the bow was a mistake. It could have been done much more subtly.

The FOIA premise seems to be nothing changed after 2012 when it’s a matter of public record things did change. So treating anyone differently after 2012 was inherent and therefore not discriminatory. And then you have the other stuff that never went on before 2012.

Reaction Score
Interesting issue is FOI vs discovery.. I think once you file foia you can’t insist on discovery if FOIA takes forever as it often does

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Don’t have “Confirmed” level information on that.
In general, Kevin’s future divorce payments and life style has made it difficult for him to reasonably assess the case, in my opinion. Union lawyers, who win or get good settlements in many cases also have not adjusted to the stakes. The stakes here are in the millions rather than tens of thousands - so the school is willing to take it further.

Did anyone on here think this case was over KO asking for $20,000?

C

Chief00

Did anyone on here think this case was over KO asking for $20,000?
Sorry if I wasn’t clear - what I meant was even if right the University might pay the $20,000 in another case - so the union might consider that the norm. But, with the stakes in the millions the university is more likely to take it further on KO’s case.

Reaction Score
This is stunningly wrong, on so many levels. Read Ollie's contract language which I pasted above. Keep in mind that the language in Ollie's contract describing just cause is in addition the language in CBA:
View attachment 31191
I’m so glad you posted this. I thought I’d seen this before... his contract states that if he doesn’t perform according to what is expected and his reviews state that, that is cause.

Reaction Score
I certainly understand your point, however the $2 million in upcoming divorce payments impacts KO’s willingness to settle at a number he might otherwise settle at. My sense is this mindset may be self defeating for KO.
Any of us could be in that situation, an impending child getting into an expensive private college, facing a cancer diagnosis, retirement, etc. None of those give any of us a leg to stand on if our employers decide to fire us because we suck.
Just because his is a $2M problem doesn’t make it the university’s problem. Just like it wouldn’t be any of our employers’ problems.
Just shows how much his judgment has likely been impaired over the last few years.

Reaction Score
Does Ollie drive a black Range Rover with blacked out side windows?

Reaction Score
Not sure if that's what he drives,but IF it is, and the windows are tinted beyond the state's legal limit, you may have just discovered one of Ollie's rules violations! :D

For some reason the police do not address this violation as you can see this on any trip in CT and it is a safety threat to them when they have to make traffic stops.

Reaction Score
For some reason the police do not address this violation as you can see this on any trip in CT and it is a safety threat to them when they have to make traffic stops.
I totally agree with you. There seem to be many cars which violate the limits, but the enforcement leaves a lot to be desired which is surprising because as you suggest, the biggest threat is to those in law enforcement. :confused:

Reaction Score
I think it is an effective process. The AD and Herbst assume ownership of the outcome as this moves up the chain. It is an unwritten accountability. If this goes to the courts and goes sideways on the university, the BOT pulls out their big axe and lobs off her head. She pays the penalty for bad decisions and bad press so that others above her do not. That is why Herbst needs to have conviction before denying the appeal. Because until then it is AD Dave with his head on the block.
Yeah, that sounds nice, but the UConn board of trustees is not going to dismiss their President over Kevin Ollie. No way, no how.

If Ollie and his team had ANYTHING that could remotely cause this to go that sideways in court (which does not even exist, really), they would be playing that hand already and would be skipping this appeal dog and pony show.

Reaction Score
Which is more important?

1. Kevin Ollie allegedly committed ethical violations.
2. Kevin Ollie didn't produce a winning basketball team.

Let's revisit the BYs profound offense and indignation at UNC over fake classes in the name of winning. You know, since 1 above is simply a convenient lever to remove a coach for cause because of 2 above. In the name of winning.

Other coaches will see what UCONN is doing. They won't forget it should Dan Hurley's efforts go Tango Uniform in the next four years.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Which is more important?

1. Kevin Ollie allegedly committed ethical violations.
2. Kevin Ollie didn't produce a winning basketball team.

Let's revisit the BYs profound offense and indignation at UNC over fake classes in the name of winning. You know, since 1 above is simply a convenient lever to remove a coach for cause because of 2 above. In the name of winning.

Other coaches will see what UCONN is doing. They won't forget it should Dan Hurley's efforts go Tango Uniform in the next four years.
Did you really just compare gaming the system with fake classes to using legal contract language to remove an ineffective coach while somehow implying both are wrong in trying to put a winning product on the floor?

I'll be - you did.

Any coach from a top 20 program in the land realizes they are going to be fired for two losing seasons and a downward trajectory - if they screwed up enough for contract language to be enough not to pay them, that's on them and they were over their head to begin with and any next coach won't think they would be that stupid.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Did you really just compare gaming the system with fake classes to using legal contract language to remove an ineffective coach while somehow implying both are wrong in trying to put a winning product on the floor?

I'll be - you did.
The question is whether @crewbear742 expected any takers.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that sounds nice, but the UConn board of trustees is not going to dismiss their President over Kevin Ollie. No way, no how.

If Ollie and his team had ANYTHING that could remotely cause this to go that sideways in court (which does not even exist, really), they would be playing that hand already and would be skipping this appeal dog and pony show.
I am pretty sure he HAS to go through the process.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

There's about 3 million reasons why other coaches won't give two shites. Per year.

Reaction Score
..."mere allegations are not sufficient". I no longer have the letter. A case was cited and the defendant was Morande Ford. So I know there is a legal precedent in this particular instance.

Two things.

1) these are not "mere allegations". Based on what we know, we can pretty easily surmise that these are minor violations. Which also means, UConn self reported whatever the violations are. The one thing UConn wants to avoid is any hint of a "loss of institutional control" and you know how you get that ? By minor violations coming to light and the universtiy / athletic department trying to hide them. So they self report to the NCAA who is then obligated to investigate.

2) did you have a specific contract with your employer ? Doubtful to say the least. Ollie's contract was written to be "zero tolerance"

These are not allegations, they are acknowledged violations of NCAA rules AND they are specifically forbidden / grounds for "just cause" dismissal in his specific contract.

Reaction Score

Right. Dan Hurley was willing to take the job under the very same circumstances, (with legit options to take another job for MORE money) but somehow, assuming he fails, no other coach would ?

What pathetic excuse for a team are you a fan of ? BC ? UMass ? LOL!

Reaction Score
There's about 3 million reasons why other coaches won't give two shites. Per year.
And it's not like he didn't have options. He chose us over a historically pretty good P5 team in the best basketball conference in the country who also offered more money. His narrative is dead on arrival

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

They can't skip the procedural steps dictated by the contract and CBA. If they did and went straight to filing a lawsuit, the Court would simply say it's not a justiciable controversy yet. It has to follow the administrative process and then arbitration before you can take the case to court. Any judge would order that you go back and follow the procedural steps first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom