UConn & AAU Info...could it mean a B1G invite??? | The Boneyard

UConn & AAU Info...could it mean a B1G invite???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Because lack of AAU membership seems to be the biggest "con" in UConn's corner concerning B1G 10 acceptance, I did a Google search on UConn and AAU and came across these:

http://provost.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2012-November-7-Department-Head-Presentation.pdf

The University of Connecticut was ranked:
#40 in the nation in awarded doctoral degrees - UConn is ranked higher than 26 of the 61 AAU members;
#49 in the nation for doctoral student enrollment - UConn is ranked higher than 23 of the 61 AAU members;
#77 in the nation for research expenditures - UConn is ranked higher than 10 of the 61 AAU members
Along with another interesting nugget (a quote I found embedded in an article from June regarding UConn's faculty hiring program...the quote and *who said it* are of most interest):
http://articles.courant.com/2012-06...plans-full-time-faculty-tuition-increase-plan
The university's hiring strategy runs counter to what is happening at many universities and around the country, according to Gwendolyn Bradley, senior program officer for the American Association of University Professors.
"We haven't heard of any other large-scale hiring plans for large
public universities
or really anywhere," Bradley said. She noted that large public universities have been particularly hard-hit by the recession and tend to be cutting faculty rather than adding."

Susan Herbst is definitely positioning UConn for a potential B1G invite and I love her for it.

Reaction Score
I had this discussion with the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts at a fundraiser back when Nebraska joined the Big Ten. I had never heard of AAU and wanted to understand the requirements. He said UConn actually was trying to gain acceptance into AAU, but that it was a political, country club like group of Universities. There was no definitive criteria for gaining acceptance, but he felt that UConn was certainly qualified. He never mentioned whether the University might try again to gain acceptance, but perhaps Dr Herbst has other plans.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Something else a bit interesting: UConn has hired a new VP of Communications from...Iowa.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/po...-big-ten-iowa-vp-leave-similar-job-uconn.html

In a statement released by UConn, the New Jersey native says he and his family are excited to return home to the northeast.
When he was hired at Iowa from Arkansas, the former Penn State University spokesman said he was excited to return "home to Big Ten country."

The more I read these type of press clippings (all released in the past month) and read between the lines of the Manuel hire (former Associate AD at Michigan) and Herbst's comments about raising the endowment to $1B and concentration on research, the more I'm convinced that UConn is really working the back channels to try to get a B1G invite.

Dooley

Reaction Score
don't know of it was top-down directed but i've heard all the state maps on campus now show Ct as contiguous to Pa & Nj

Maybe we can construct an express non-stop bus route with a direct line from CT to NJ? Contiguous.

Reaction Score
Maybe we can construct an express non-stop bus route with a direct line from CT to NJ? Contiguous.

Or a tunnel like the Palestinians need to get from Gaza to the West Bank without leaving their country?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If we buy a condo in New York and call it UConn West Campus, I believe we satisfy the contiguous state requirement. Or we rent space at Hudson Valley Community College. Or maybe get a mailbox at a UPS store in Manhattan - whatever.

We can finesse this.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You are all confused and need a history lesson. Here it is:

When the original 13 colonies looked westward, they were awarded large parcels of land. Connecticut's parcel was called the Western Reserve:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Reserve

It stretched out through Ohio, Michigan, etc. In fact Moses Cleaveland was a surveyor hired by the Connecticut Land Company (hence, Cleveland Ohio). So my good friends, we are ALREADY a contiguous state for the B1G. Welcome home, boys and girls!!! :cool:

pj

Reaction Score
The University of Connecticut - New York City. I like it!

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Don't they pay us like $1 per year as payment for that land?

As much as I like to make stuff up just for the hell of it, I think that this is actually true.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
The University of Connecticut - New York City. I like it!

B1G's opening a satellite office in NYC, why cant we?

Reaction Score
Isn't UCONN a member of the global AUU already? Not sure if that makes a difference but I mean technically UCONN is a AAU member..

Reaction Score
We are 22 driving miles from being contiguous with Jerzee....probably half that as the crow flies. Aren't we just splitting hairs?

Reaction Score
Delany said the Big Ten has approximately 540,000 alumni between northern Virginia and southern New England.

Those are the people who will want the Big Ten Network in their homes. Those are the people who might buy season tickets to Maryland football or Rutgers football just to ensure they see their favorite team in person. Those are the people who help make Big Ten football games some of the most watched in the country, even if they have little to no bearing on the national title chase."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bigten&id=65858&wjb

Sometimes the answer is right in front of you.

Reaction Score
Delany said the Big Ten has approximately 540,000 alumni between northern Virginia and southern New England.

Those are the people who will want the Big Ten Network in their homes. Those are the people who might buy season tickets to Maryland football or Rutgers football just to ensure they see their favorite team in person. Those are the people who help make Big Ten football games some of the most watched in the country, even if they have little to no bearing on the national title chase."

It's over. Give it up, we're done forever

Dooley

Reaction Score

I love slips like this and Aresco's press conferences. Throw some more fuel to the #B1GHARDER fire!

Reaction Score
We are 22 driving miles from being contiguous with Jerzee....probably half that as the crow flies. Aren't we just splitting hairs?

I have seen that the B1G "likes" to have schools in states contiguous to states with B1G schools but I have not seen where it is "mandatory". I think Frank the Tank confirmed that on this site recently.

Reaction Score
Isn't UCONN a member of the global AUU already? Not sure if that makes a difference but I mean technically UCONN is a AAU member..
..............................................................................................................
Actually we are a member of the Univesitas 21 along with Virginia as the only members in the US. It is the leading global network of research-intensive universities.

Reaction Score
I have seen that the B1G "likes" to have schools in states contiguous to states with B1G schools but I have not seen where it is "mandatory". I think Frank the Tank confirmed that on this site recently.

Even if it were true, it wouldn't cause a significant hampering of a UConn membership vote.

Cause, chances are good that if there's enough support for any membership candidate amongst the existing voting members, that they also have enough votes in support to *change the by-laws*.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
..............................................................................................................
Actually we are a member of the Univesitas 21 along with Virginia as the only members in the US. It is the leading global network of research-intensive universities.

My friend from the University of Glasgow pointed that out to me about a year ago. It was the first time that I had ever heard about that network, but then again, I haven't known about the AAU for much longer:

http://www.universitas21.com/member/

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm waiting for Malloy to contact Cuomo and offer that CT will completely fund the new Tappan Zee Bridge if NY will give us naming rights for I287 and the short part of I95 in PortChester.

Of course Malloy will use the naming rights to call it "Connecticut".

(btw, on Inside College FB on CBSSportsNetwork, the hosts picked UConn over Cincy as one of their upset specials of the weekend.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom