UConn & AAU Info...could it mean a B1G invite??? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn & AAU Info...could it mean a B1G invite???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I had this discussion with the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts at a fundraiser back when Nebraska joined the Big Ten. I had never heard of AAU and wanted to understand the requirements. He said UConn actually was trying to gain acceptance into AAU, but that it was a political, country club like group of Universities. There was no definitive criteria for gaining acceptance, but he felt that UConn was certainly qualified. He never mentioned whether the University might try again to gain acceptance, but perhaps Dr Herbst has other plans.
I am under the impression that an important part of the criteria is the level of research grants and facilities. Don't know if this is accurate, I'm old and don't remember how I came to believe this. If this is true Uconn's massive research building program in Farmington should go a long way in changing this perception.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
If we buy a condo in New York and call it UConn West Campus, I believe we satisfy the contiguous state requirement. Or we rent space at Hudson Valley Community College. Or maybe get a mailbox at a UPS store in Manhattan - whatever.

We can finesse this.

UConn already owns Syracuse. There...contiguity !!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There's your contiguous! Penn State > Rutgers > B1G office > UConn
The state of Michigan isn't even contiguous with itself. I doubt that a sliver of land between southwest Connecticut and northern New Jersey will be enough to keep us out (especially as surrounding that sliver of land could be massively valuable to the B1G).

Reaction Score
No middle ground left, I guess. The ACC is a target of both Big 10 and SEC. SEC still needs two teams in a bad way.

UVA/UConn to the Big 10.

UConn/BC to the Big 10

KU/UConn to the Big 10

All three nowadays wouldn't be a shocker. If Herbst fails on this...

Reaction Score
Herbst should get friendly with the Big East's newest member, Tulane.

Tulane's president Scott Cowen was just named the new chair of the AAU taking over from the president of UMich.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Tulane's president Scott Cowen was just named the new chair of the AAU taking over from the president of UMich.

OHHH!!!! I did not know this! Could it be that's how those no-talent -clowns got in??? There had to be a reason...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No middle ground left, I guess. The ACC is a target of both Big 10 and SEC. SEC still needs two teams in a bad way.

UVA/UConn to the Big 10.

UConn/BC to the Big 10

KU/UConn to the Big 10

Because, after missing her free throws, it is likely that she'll be able to bank in a full court shot?

Reaction Score
This is one area conn's lousy politicians should start the bsck slapping.

Democrats in white house, democrats in senate, democats in academia. These guys got to be good for something. Screw the republican state universities. let it be known i dont like any politicians. The're all crooks and scoundrels. What we need is a scoundrel to lobby for uconn.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I will reiterate again...I believe that our administration is angling for a B1G invite and looking for a permanent home, not a temporary one. UConn officials could only be encouraged when they saw RU get the invite. The Big East commissioner did not mention or hint at his, now, flagship university for his conference in yesterday's presser to announce to lethargic additions. Why? Because he knows or feels UConn is on its way out. I guess we'll find out more if Aresco starts drumming the UConn beat in his upcoming press conferences (I'm sure he'll say something about UL leaving). If he does, maybe we have reason to worry. If he doesn't do UConn backflips, then the writing is still on the wall.

Try to be patient. I know it's tough. I'm on pins and needles too but logically speaking, we are a great academic university that has achieved FAR more athletic success than most current members of these superconferences AND we can bring the #1, #7, and #30 TV markets to the table. I like our chances.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

UVA/UConn to the Big 10.

UConn/BC to the Big 10

KU/UConn to the Big 10

KU/UConn to the Big 10 would be my dream scenario...but about as likely as winning Powerball.

Reaction Score
I will reiterate again...I believe that our administration is angling for a B1G invite and looking for a permanent home, not a temporary one. UConn officials could only be encouraged when they saw RU get the invite. The Big East commissioner did not mention or hint at his, now, flagship university for his conference in yesterday's presser to announce to lethargic additions. Why? Because he knows or feels UConn is on its way out. I guess we'll find out more if Aresco starts drumming the UConn beat in his upcoming press conferences (I'm sure he'll say something about UL leaving). If he does, maybe we have reason to worry. If he doesn't do UConn backflips, then the writing is still on the wall.

Try to be patient. I know it's tough. I'm on pins and needles too but logically speaking, we are a great academic university that has achieved FAR more athletic success than most current members of these superconferences AND we can bring the #1, #7, and #30 TV markets to the table. I like our chances.

NOT

Commissioner Mike Aresco has issued the following statement on the departure of the University of Louisville:

We enjoyed having Louisville in the Big East Conference and we wish them well.

The Big East has anticipated the continuing realignment that is reshaping college athletics and has already made important additions as part of our vision for the future. We will continue moving forward to fulfill that vision, which includes a strong national football conference and a strong and storied basketball conference. Big East teams will continue to compete and succeed at the highest level and, as always, will combine athletic and academic excellence. With schools stretching from coast to coast and in many of the top U.S. media markets, the Big East has become a truly national conference with outstanding young men and women competing across a full range of sports.

We are committed to a vibrant and dynamic future for the Big East Conference.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The state of Michigan isn't even contiguous with itself. I doubt that a sliver of land between southwest Connecticut and northern New Jersey will be enough to keep us out (especially as surrounding that sliver of land could be massively valuable to the B1G).

That's the answer. Forget NY, open a branch in Canada and claim we're contiguous with several B1G school states.

Reaction Score

Cowan is a UConn grad who played football for Lou Holtz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104