UConn a 5-Seed in the West in Latest Bracketology | The Boneyard

UConn a 5-Seed in the West in Latest Bracketology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I turned off basketball at about 3:50 on Saturday and couldn't stomach anything for the rest of the weekend. What did we do/or what did others do that led to us moving up in his seeding? I expected no movement as best case scenario.

BTW- If we manage to move up to the 4 seed in the West I will take that as a sign from the basketball gods that we are the team of destiny this year.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
Lunardi's latest brackets: http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

UConn heading West? Let's book our trip to Arlington now

I'm a fan of getting a better seed, but that makes NO sense. We looked AWFUL on Saturday. If Lunardi kept us at a 6 seed, I would have counted that as a huge plus. This furthers my belief that it's better just to wait until March 16th to worry about seeding.

Reaction Score
I'm a fan of getting a better seed, but that makes NO sense. We looked AWFUL on Saturday. If Lunardi kept us at a 6 seed, I would have counted that as a huge plus. This furthers my belief that it's better just to wait until March 16th to worry about seeding.
We lost as a 10 point dog on the road, no surprise, it was not going to really effect the seed.

A lot of other teams lost as well.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
We lost as a 10 point dog on the road, no surprise, it was not going to really effect the seed.

A lot of other teams lost as well.

No doubt, Jerry. I didn't expect that loss to drop us to a 9 seed or anything, because (as you said) we were an underdog. A loss at Louisville is nothing to be ashamed of, it's more the manner in which we lost (humiliating defeat/lack of effort/poor decision making at every turn etc) that makes me question why we moved up.

Reaction Score
No doubt, Jerry. I didn't expect that loss to drop us to a 9 seed or anything, because (as you said) we were an underdog. A loss at Louisville is nothing to be ashamed of, it's more the manner in which we lost (humiliating defeat/lack of effort/poor decision making at every turn etc) that makes me question why we moved up.
I hear ya, I am surprised we moved up, I figured we would stay the same. I also think we were too low at 6 in Lunardi's previous bracket, so it could be more or a correction then anything else.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Just goes to show how big of a joke 'bracketology' is...

Reaction Score
This might be one of those years where the quality of the field is a mile wide and an inch deep if we're a 5 seed. UConn is a very average team this year, and a very 1-demensional one to boot. I have had us best case a 6. Worst case, though I don't think we'll ever get there now, a 9. We've established ourselves as better than a 9 now, and maybe if we beat Memphis we get a bump. In my mind that is one of the weaker regions. I'd sign up for it in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
Too many of you seem to watch ONLY Uconn. The teams in the Top 25 had a combined record of something like 31-19 this week which is pretty bad considering they would be considered the best in the country. Also, the committee looks at the ENTIRE body of work - not a recent game where a team gets blown away. It is tough to pick four "1" seeds this year which is usually not the case. If a team gets hot at the right time they can win an NCAA title this year.

Reaction Score
Also, if you look, Jerry Palm from CBS had UConn as 5/6 last week, when Lunardi had us 7 and in each bracket has moved us closer to the CBS one. Think that maybe as it gets closer these things become a bit more unison

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
There's no way Lunardi even watches games, let alone pays as close attention to one team like we do. He's got UCLA as a 6 seed and their highest RPI win is -if you can believe it- #27 Oregon. And they were a 5 seed before losing by eighteen to Washington freakin State, who is on the same level as our Florida schools and RU. If we lost to RU by 18, even despite having wins over Florida and Cinci (quality wins which UCLA doesn't have), I imagine we'd be happy with an 8 seed.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There's no way Lunardi even watches games, let alone pays as close attention to one team like we do. He's got UCLA as a 6 seed and their highest RPI win is -if you can believe it- #27 Oregon. And they were a 5 seed before losing by eighteen to Washington freakin State, who is on the same level as our Florida schools and RU. If we lost to RU by 18, even despite having wins over Florida and Cinci (quality wins which UCLA doesn't have), I imagine we'd be happy with an 8 seed.

The committee doesn't really watch much either though. There's only so much you can watch in a week.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
The committee doesn't really watch much either though. There's only so much you can watch in a week.
But at the same time, this is literally all this guy does year-round. This is his job, for which I imagine he's getting paid decent money. Who exactly is on the selection committee anyway?

And besides, it isn't any of our jobs to figure out seedings, and we obviously don't watch nearly every game every week, but I think most of us are able to discern that UCLA does not deserve a 5 or 6 seed.

Reaction Score
A 5-seed seems generous, but there aren't a ton of more-deserving teams. Interesting quirk of this bracket: for the second time in 4 years, we would have the opportunity to beat SDSU for the right to play Arizona in the regionals in Anaheim.

Being a 5-seed, as opposed to a 6, 7, or -- God forbid -- 8, is really important, as we'd be "protected" against severe geographical disadvantages (e.g. Cuse in Buffalo, Wisconsin in Milwaukee, Florida in Orlando, Duke in Raleigh).

Amazingly, with all the attrition in the top 10, Nova is all the way up to a 1-seed. Incredible.

Reaction Score
God damn look at that midwest bracket.

Kansas, Pitt, Kentucky, Syracuse, Wichita State, SMU, Ohio State, Michigan State, Cincinnati

That'd be a nightmare

Reaction Score
But at the same time, this is literally all this guy does year-round. This is his job, for which I imagine he's getting paid decent money. Who exactly is on the selection committee anyway?

And besides, it isn't any of our jobs to figure out seedings, and we obviously don't watch nearly every game every week, but I think most of us are able to discern that UCLA does not deserve a 5 or 6 seed.
Almost everyone has UCLA as a 6

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

UCLA has 5 top 50 wins and 11 top 100. SOS of 42 and RPI of 25. Why do you think 1 loss to a bad team matters so much? It doesn't, a lot of teams have 1 or 2 bad losses.

Pretty clearly they are somewhere between 5-7 seed.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I have no answer for how Lunardi does this as a full time job. He's laughing all the way to the bank though. I can't imagine what he even does all day. Presumably, he watches some games.

The committee is made up with Athletic directors and commissioners who at best watch some games from their own conference, but more likely from only their own schools.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I have no answer for how Lunardi does this as a full time job. He's laughing all the way to the bank though. I can't imagine what he even does all day. Presumably, he watches some games.

Yeah sounds like a dream job - watch some basketball games, randomly assign teams to regions based on computer rankings. At the end, claim he picked the most of the teams correctly and some bubble teams - not their regions. And get paid nicely.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Almost everyone has UCLA as a 6

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

UCLA has 5 top 50 wins and 11 top 100. SOS of 42 and RPI of 25. Why do you think 1 loss to a bad team matters so much? It doesn't, a lot of teams have 1 or 2 bad losses.

Pretty clearly they are somewhere between 5-7 seed.
I dunno, while we do have a bad loss, Houston is the only team outside the top 50 we have lost to. We also have great wins to counter that loss. I get that they're second in the Pac 12, but it's not one loss to a bad team like we have. They've also lost to Oregon State (96), Utah (77), and bubble-bursting Mizzou (56), leading to a 6-3 record vs 50-100.

This is just one team's seeding. Most of the others seem decent at face value. It's just I think: does this team's resume really fit in with that of UConn, Texas, MSU, OSU, VCU and St Louis? And the answer is no to me. I guess a 7 seed makes a lot more sense. I think they are more on the level of UK, Memphis, UMass and NM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom