UConn a #1 Seed in Charlie's Latest Bracket (1/27) | The Boneyard

UConn a #1 Seed in Charlie's Latest Bracket (1/27)

Reaction Score
IN the aftermath of the win over Tennessee, Charlie now has UConn as a #1 seed in Storrs, and tOSU has fallen to a #2 in the same region.

In this version of the possible bracket, our path to the Final Four would in all likelihood require us to beat Louisville, UCLA (or NC St again), and tOSU (or perhaps Duke again or Villanova). Our Final Four opponent would be SC, since there isn't a lot of competition in their region -- their toughest opponent would be Iowa or Utah.

In the other half, Stanford would have to beat ND in the Elite Eight, and IU would probably have the toughest path, having to get by either LSU or Michigan or UNC.

Under this bracket, I think we could meet ND or IU in the NC game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If we run the regular season and play a close, good game against SC (even if we lose), should be enough to get a 1seed.
He already has us as a #1 seed, reluctantly, by his account. I agree about the SC loss -- probably won't matter even if it happens -- and the assumption that we win out through the BE tournament. Short of another injury, I don't see a lot of ways for us to lose this spot given what remains for all our rivals. The only team I can see making a better case for this seed might be ND (since they beat us once already) and they don't have to play SC in the regular season. They still play Duke and NC St, but no other ranked teams, and either of those would be upsets if they lost. The return of Azzi and Caroline would cement this seeding, I think, but we're playing really well right now. And an ND loss would probably suffice as well.

Reaction Score
Observations: This latest bracketing reminds me of this season’s scheduling for some of the higher ranked teams.

South Carolina faces no real challenges until the final four. No problem with that. They have earned that path.

Like their regular season and out of conference schedule LSU faces tournament cream puffs or height challenged teams until the semi finals where they will lose to Indiana.

Like this season’s out of conference schedule, UConn continues to hold its position as having the toughest path to the final four.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just a reminder these brackets are Crème’s educated guesses of where teams might go if the tourney were held today, they aren’t official and have no bearing on the “real” brackets. It conversation fodder, that’s all

Reaction Score
Stanford had a close win against unranked ORST. Game was tied with two minutes to go in the 4th quarter. If we continue to play better than Stanford, we could move up relative to them in the brackets. That would create the possibility of a rematch with South Carolina in the finals.

Lots of basketball to be played so many things could happen between now and earl April!

Reaction Score
Stanford had a close win against unranked ORST. Game was tied with two minutes to go in the 4th quarter. If we continue to play better than Stanford, we could move up relative to them in the brackets. That would create the possibility of a rematch with South Carolina in the finals.

Lots of basketball to be played so many things could happen between now and earl April!
The PAC 12 has quite a bit of parity. Colorado over UCLA 73 - 70 and
Utah over USC 83 -73 and Oregon over California 78 - 73 and finally
Washington State over Arizona State 61 -57. UCONN needs the walking
wounded, AKA cheerleaders in the picture , to stay healthy and (heaven
forbid) not to have anyone join the hospital clinic. Note N.D won
without the ACL injured Dara Mabrey. GO Huskies, beat Wildcats!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Lots of basketball to be played so many things could happen between now and early April!
These are the kinds of games you can lose in the tournament to unranked teams that have nothing to lose because nobody expected them to beat you.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The PAC 12 has quite a bit of parity. Colorado over UCLA 73 - 70 and
Utah over USC 83 -73 and Oregon over California 78 - 73 and finally
Washington State over Arizona State 61 -57. UCONN needs the walking
wounded, AKA cheerleaders in the picture , to stay healthy and (heaven
forbid) not to have anyone join the hospital clinic. Note N.D won
without the ACL injured Dara Mabrey. GO Huskies, beat Wildcats!!
Notre Dame, Tennessee, Ohio St., and LSU are teams nobody wants to play. Any one of these teams can catch lightning in a bottle for 40 minutes and if the wind is blowing in the right direction and the ball bounces its way, can win a game they are not supposed to.

We know South Carolina is going to be one of the four teams to punch their ticket to the final four. Who will the other three be? There are going to be some very talented teams with impressive won-loss records that won't make the final four.

Everybody can't go. There are one 3 spots available. My favorite weekend of the tournament is the 2nd weekend. That's when all of the "pretenders" and at-large teams are gone. The sweet 16. To me, THAT'S when the tournament really starts. ;)

Be honest. When you look at UConn's bracket after it has been revealed, tell me you don't look past the first two games to see who's in the bracket that 3rd game because you know there's no way they are going to lose those first two games.

Last edited:

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Observations: ....

South Carolina faces no real challenges until the final four. No problem with that. They have earned that path.
what? did you forget they have yet to play the huskies?

but maybe they aren't a challenge, being so decimated and having to handle the invincible foe? :eek:;)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
IN the aftermath of the win over Tennessee, Charlie now has UConn as a #1 seed in Storrs, and tOSU has fallen to a #2 in the same region.

In this version of the possible bracket, our path to the Final Four would in all likelihood require us to beat Louisville, UCLA (or NC St again), and tOSU (or perhaps Duke again or Villanova). Our Final Four opponent would be SC, since there isn't a lot of competition in their region -- their toughest opponent would be Iowa or Utah.

In the other half, Stanford would have to beat ND in the Elite Eight, and IU would probably have the toughest path, having to get by either LSU or Michigan or UNC.

Under this bracket, I think we could meet ND or IU in the NC game.
This bracketology was posted in the Jan 17 Bracketology thread too.

Reaction Score
We are approaching that point in the season when SoS measures begin to become less significant. Earlier, an unbeaten season meant little. But those streaks are starting to evaporate like so much late winter frost.

In the next few weeks Creampuff-smashers like LSU encounter teams who played tough schedules and the truth about both will be revealed. LSU-Tenn on Monday is a classic example of this. LSU beat Arkansas (ranked at the time iirc) earlier by a wide margin but just squeaked past them the second time at home, which ought to have raised concerns.

The Tennessee game will be a much stiffer test for LSU, in my opinion. If they can’t win by double digits against this unranked team, their own ranking and seeding ought to be in question. I’m not sure they have another test. If LSU beats SC, or even plays them close, that will say a lot about them and maybe justify giving them a #1 or #2 seed. But if they lose by a wide margin to SC’s bench, it will say the opposite.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
We are approaching that point in the season when SoS measures begin to become less significant. Earlier, an unbeaten season meant little. But those streaks are starting to evaporate like so much late winter frost.

In the next few weeks Creampuff-smashers like LSU encounter teams who played tough schedules and the truth about both will be revealed. LSU-Tenn on Monday is a classic example of this. LSU beat Arkansas (ranked at the time iirc) earlier by a wide margin but just squeaked past them the second time at home, which ought to have raised concerns.

The Tennessee game will be a much stiffer test for LSU, in my opinion. If they can’t win by double digits against this unranked team, their own ranking and seeding ought to be in question. I’m not sure they have another test. If LSU beats SC, or even plays them close, that will say a lot about them and maybe justify giving them a #1 or #2 seed. But if they lose by a wide margin to SC’s bench, it will say the opposite.
Seeing that this game is at LSU, I think that the game will be called along the lines of us at Tenn. Mulkey is another coach that seems to be in the ref's ear. IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom