UConn @ #5/#16 Virginia (Friday 2/19/21 @ 3p > Saturday 2/20/21 @ 1p & Sunday 2/21/20 @ 1p -- All Games streamed on ACC Network Extra/ACCNX) | Page 16 | The Boneyard

UConn @ #5/#16 Virginia (Friday 2/19/21 @ 3p > Saturday 2/20/21 @ 1p & Sunday 2/21/20 @ 1p -- All Games streamed on ACC Network Extra/ACCNX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Really tough one to listen to with the background noise and sound quality, but Coach Penders is proud of Chris Brown for what he did on the field after David Langer went down (not sure with what). Team needs to cut down on their swings against tough pitching. One of the best pitching staffs UConn is going to face all season he said. Penders liked how the team fought.

Reaction Score
Being a newer fan of the team, I am so damn impressed with their grit and tenacity. They never give up and it makes the games so much fun to watch. They hung in there with a really good UVA team and there were a lot pf positives this weekend. I am very much looking forward to this season and seeing this group come together and work out the kinks.

Reaction Score
I am a UConn grad 1989 .. so going back to Charles Nagy era of husky baseball. Huge UConn sports fan. This weekend was the first time rooting against a UConn team in my life bc got players on UVA. I watch and attend a ton of college baseball (multiple CWS) and I was there for all these games this weekend.

I say all that as a backdrop for my perspective. So here is the message to all you UConn baseball fans. Get on this bandwagon! UConn has all the pieces to make a regional appearance and do damage once there. This UConn team is on par with any mid to upper tier ACC team. The lineup grinded all weekend. I can’t recall more than a couple comfortable out Abs (for uva) in the 3 game series. 1-9 made pitchers pitch constantly! The results may not show it but man this UConn lineup is filled with tough outs. Then guys are huge. UVA didn’t miss too many spots ... I wouldn’t want to see what this lineup does when they see anything in the zone. The husky defense was beyond solid all weekend. I know my way around 3rd base play and I was very impressed with the freshman Brown in his first college play. Great D up the middle took away hits from UVA all weekend. Pitching was solid too. I certainly hope UConn fans appreciate what your closer did Friday ... going that deep against UVA’s lineup was pretty bad ass. That kid pitched his ass off.

I wouldn’t be too hard on the lineup ... UVA had a #5 Baseball America ranking for a reason ... and all 3 starters have a ton of experience and should be top 5 round draft guys ... how many of those you expect to see this season ? ... when your team got into less experienced arms in the pen ... the lineup did damage. And again none of those top UVa arms had an easy time (despite what boxscore may show.)

Casparius has makings to be a legit number 1 ...

Trust me ... you have Calhoun / Auriema level coaching for what this team does in North East. The reality is north of Va I can’t think of a better baseball program. (Probably why BC hides from you)

I will go back to pulling for UConn now and I will be really surprised if this UConn team doesn’t crush it in the Big East. Finally having D1 quality facilities, not having that brutal American Conf travel schedule (an under appreciated toll on a team) ... if we see each other again I hope it’s in Omaha

I will also be pulling that you can have fans soon and if you do I recommend getting to games and really supporting this UConn team. I think they could be special. ... I wouldn’t trade anything for memories made getting to games in UConn’s first NC hoop run.

Wish I could leave you with “Muppetmakers prose” for this baseball team ... but that’s my message to you ...start to get excited for return of UConn baseball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am thinking of going to Conway for the weekend series in a few weeks. Does anyone know if fans who are not family members will be allowed to attend?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Missed these, but I feel like 1-2 with close losses at UVA shows that this is a strong UConn team. As always, need to take care of business against the weaker midweek opponents this season.

Reaction Score
You know who respects UConn? Baseball America. Just noticed they moved UVa up to #2 from #5 despite losing a game and playing tight in their 2 weekend wins. If BA wasn’t overly impressed with strength of UConn’s team that just doesn’t happen.

Telling you this is a very good UConn team. Whatever number of fans are allowed to attend games should be maxed all year. Period. New stadium, gritty team that battles, solid pitching, power bats, flashy D ...

UConn fans do what you can do for this team . Love to see a big home field advantage

Reaction Score
I am thinking of going to Conway for the weekend series in a few weeks. Does anyone know if fans who are not family members will be allowed to attend?
Coastal Carolina has limited attendance. They are not listing the UConn game on their ticket site and it looks like tickets only go on sale a few days before the games. Best bet is call their ticket office.

Reaction Score
UVA moved up to #2 in Baseball America's top 25 poll this morning.

No doubt this is partially the effect of Virginia taking a series against a well regarded UConn team. College baseball polls can be all over the map, with a team very highly rated in one or two polls barely registering if at all in some of the other polls. This is not the case with Virginia, a team the registers well in most every college baseball poll. That UConn was competitive and in every game of this past series even though they dropped 2 out of 3 games is clearly a positive.

Reaction Score
Some Sox fan, not me, put this together. Top prospects by major publications heading into season. You can see that our boys were not the only ones struggling at the dish and we faced a damn good UVA staff.
6E4D7DF4-973B-4679-9817-AB8CB6A9D6BD.jpeg

Reaction Score
Coastal Carolina has limited attendance. They are not listing the UConn game on their ticket site and it looks like tickets only go on sale a few days before the games. Best bet is call their ticket office.
Thank you, I noticed that the games did not have tickets available. I'm anxious to watch baseball live but this may have to wait.

Reaction Score
Penders has done a very good job for a long time. He finally has very nice facilities to recruit and develop talent.

The New England region has 3 good teams this year in BC, NU and UConn. All 3 in different conferences. NU played very well at Wake despite their first round pitcher Deane having an off game. Glavin is an excellent coach. BC has beautiful facilities and even though they are in the toughest conference, it’s expected that 10 of the 14 ACC schools will get NCAA bids. They have 3 possible first round draft choices. I believe both NU and UConn have at least two games with BC this year.

The one thing I will never understand is why they start the baseball season in February. Except for Miami, the weather is terrible everywhere. Start March 1st or better March 15th.

Reaction Score
Penders has done a very good job for a long time. He finally has very nice facilities to recruit and develop talent.

The New England region has 3 good teams this year in BC, NU and UConn. All 3 in different conferences. NU played very well at Wake despite their first round pitcher Deane having an off game. Glavin is an excellent coach. BC has beautiful facilities and even though they are in the toughest conference, it’s expected that 10 of the 14 ACC schools will get NCAA bids. They have 3 possible first round draft choices. I believe both NU and UConn have at least two games with BC this year.

The one thing I will never understand is why they start the baseball season in February. Except for Miami, the weather is terrible everywhere. Start March 1st or better March 15th.

The big problem with starting the college baseball season a month later is the effect it would have on the summer collegiate baseball leagues. If college baseball were to start up in mid March, the Cape Cod League and others would lose a month of their season. In some cases that would be half their season right there.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
What ever happened with the proposal last year to start a month later and help cut out the travel to warmer climates?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Really hoping they look at that next year. A series was cancelled because a field was buried under a sheet of snow.

The series? NIU at Memphis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul