Men - UConn & 2024 Big East Baseball Tourney @Prasco Park, Mason Ohio (5/22>5/25). Gms on BEDN/FloSports. Audio on MIXLR, Fox Sports 97.9 & the Varsity App | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Men UConn & 2024 Big East Baseball Tourney @Prasco Park, Mason Ohio (5/22>5/25). Gms on BEDN/FloSports. Audio on MIXLR, Fox Sports 97.9 & the Varsity App

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bottom 10th, UConn offense has a scoreless inning after a 2 out hit by pitch. Georgetown wins 10-9, and UConn is out of the Big East Tourney. Well, we'll see on Monday if they get selected to the NCAA Tourney. It will be a long wait, and like Chris Jones I'm not overly optimistic about it at this point.

Reaction Score
Welp.

How good are the odds for an at large bid? Sorry, I listen to all the games when I can but I don’t follow college baseball in general.

Reaction Score
Bottom 10th, UConn offense has a scoreless inning after a 2 out hit by pitch. Georgetown wins 10-9, and UConn is out of the Big East Tourney. Well, we'll see on Monday if they get selected to the NCAA Tourney. It will be a long wait.
Would love to see them get in, but if I'm being honest, they aren't really deserving of it. Too inconsistent and would be hard to imagine them competing against quality P4 teams.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Runner at 3rd no one out. Gotta score against X. But believe me, as disappointed as I am, love these guys. We all know what the shortcomings were this year and dwelling on them doesn’t help. Need to bring in some big bats and arms for next year and get back where we belong. Anyway, it ain’t over until we don’t get a bid.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Bottom 10th, UConn offense has a scoreless inning after a 2 out hit by pitch. Georgetown wins 10-9, and UConn is out of the Big East Tourney. Well, we'll see on Monday if they get selected to the NCAA Tourney. It will be a long wait, and like Chris Jones I'm not overly optimistic about it at this point.
Sad Season 4 GIF by The Office

Reaction Score
UConn ‘74 alumnus here.

This may be the most fundamentally unsound UConn team I’ve witnessed in the last 20 years. Bunting, sacrificing, hitting behind the runner, working the pitcher for a walk, going to the opposite field with a runner on second or third, not getting picked off…………”small ball” seems to be a lost art.

I am a big fan of Jim Penders, but this team is not representative of his typically disciplined approach.

Reaction Score
Wildly inconsistent on both sides of the ball. D is good, baserunning not the usual strength. As stated before, no magic in this squad. Are they deserving? As opposed to whom? Northeastern just got drummed out of their league tourney by Hofstra and William & Mary. We’ll take the bid, thanks & see what happens. If Teddy Cahill says so, we’re safe as kittens. Rough day.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Don’t think I’ll get my money back for today’s disaster. I don’t think flosports gives a crap.

IMG_3249.jpeg
IMG_3249.jpeg

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Wildly inconsistent on both sides of the ball. D is good, baserunning not the usual strength. As stated before, no magic in this squad. Are they deserving? As opposed to whom? Northeastern just got drummed out of their league tourney by Hofstra and William & Mary. We’ll take the bid, thanks & see what happens. If Teddy Cahill says so, we’re safe as kittens. Rough day.
Hope you’re spot on here.

Reaction Score
Hope you’re spot on here.

We have a shot on earned recency bias in the NCAAs and RPI and our scheduling may have just done the job. As another poster has said nobody watches all these teams, so nobody really knows. Anybody who has followed this year sees the flaws. That being said, I wouldn’t want to be the two seed we might face. You’d rather face a traditional postseason choker. And there are a bunch of them.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
We have a shot on earned recency bias in the NCAAs and RPI and our scheduling may have just done the job. As another poster has said nobody watches all these teams, so nobody really knows. Anybody who has followed this year sees the flaws. That being said, I wouldn’t want to be the two seed we might face. You’d rather face a traditional postseason choker. And there are a bunch of them.
Bill Murray Good Luck GIF by reactionseditor

Reaction Score
UConn ‘74 alumnus here.

This may be the most fundamentally unsound UConn team I’ve witnessed in the last 20 years. Bunting, sacrificing, hitting behind the runner, working the pitcher for a walk, going to the opposite field with a runner on second or third, not getting picked off…………”small ball” seems to be a lost art.

I am a big fan of Jim Penders, but this team is not representative of his typically disciplined approach.
I agree. But if we’re being fair, what prior generations called fundamentally sound baseball is no longer a priority. Data says it’s about walks and home runs, not moving a runner up or being able to get a bunt down.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree. But if we’re being fair, what prior generations called fundamentally sound baseball is no longer a priority. Data says it’s about walks and home runs, not moving a runner up or being able to eat a bunt down.
Sadly, you are correct. Which is why baseball scores at the college level (aided by the “ping”) resemble football scores.

Hurray up and wait………for the next home run.

Reaction Score
I agree. But if we’re being fair, what prior generations called fundamentally sound baseball is no longer a priority. Data says it’s about walks and home runs, not moving a runner up or being able to eat a bunt down.
Exactly. Agree or disagree with whether things like bunting should be a part of the game, the reality is none of these kids are being taught to bunt so it's not their fault when they can't get one down

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I’m just not gonna jump on the bash the fundamentals bandwagon which is really, let’s face it, bashing Penders, the kids and the staff. Not going to go there. One season that we don’t like out of the last 6 really good years (covid year excluded) just doesn’t warrant that. This team may not have hit on all cylinders, at times, but many other schools would sign up for the year they had. Let’s see what happens. If we don’t move forward or we do and it ends quickly so be it. On to next year and I’ll leave the rest to Penders and his staff. I trust them.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Agree or disagree with whether things like bunting should be a part of the game, the reality is none of these kids are being taught to bunt so it's not their fault when they can't get one down
It’s the coaches responsibility to teach them.

Reaction Score
Pull the fastball and slider for power
Throw the fastball and slider as hard as you can
Gorilla ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members