UConn 2018 Football Attendance | The Boneyard

UConn 2018 Football Attendance

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Courant: UConn must be in a Power5 conference
Also the Courant: UConn only filled a quarter of its stadium.

Reaction Score
The weather was a huge factor in the low attendance numbers last year. The UMass game had the lowest gate due to the monsoon. Had the weather been nice, it probably would have been our highest attended game of the season. That was the homecoming game.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The weather was a huge factor in the low attendance numbers last year. The UMass game had the lowest gate due to the monsoon. Had the weather been nice, it probably would have been our highest attended game of the season. That was the homecoming game.
Very true. I remember hearing that UMass themselves sold close to 10k

Reaction Score
If only for rain they could have averaged 12k!

At the very least if we can stop pretending there are 20k in the building that would be a good start.

Every G5/bottom tier P5 school pretends. ECU reported 40K last season even though not a single game broke 20K.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Every G5/bottom tier P5 school pretends. ECU reported 40K last season even though not a single game broke 20K.

Thanks. No kidding.

i’m talking about here. When people start saying we’ll get 30k if we ‘win’... I assumed we were talking about a real 30 and not fake 30. Because fake 30 just print 10k more tickets and throw them in the Willimantic River.

30k!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm just relieved that UConn switched its ticket reporting from "tickets scanned" to "tickets distributed".

Reaction Score
I think that the season had gone into the toilet by the UMass game, so how many they would have gone on a beautiful day is anyone's guess. Immaterial. We still had a lot of fun at the URI game. The other game we went to was a halftime departure deal. Not so much fun.

Go ahead, flame away. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think that the most surprising number given was tickets scanned in 2010, Randy's last year. 27,500 scanned sounds awfully low. We went to every game and I cannot recall seeing the stadium with that many empty seats for ANY game. And the place was just pulsing with excitement.

Reaction Score

I mentioned this in another thread, Rutgers, and if that's not a bottom tier P5 school then I'm not sure what is, averages 25K for home games (that's 2017) - that's gate, not sales. They were 40K+ per in sales. Their home dates were OSU, MSU, Purdue, Washington, Eastern Michigan, Morgan State.

WSJ has a report that say for college football 71% of sold tickets get used.

As the big orange would say SAD

But, if UConn has home dates with OSU and MSU, no matter how piss poor the Huskies were, those brands draw and attendance would rise.

Reaction Score
Tickets distributed was a total of 125,544. Ticket revenue was $2.4 million. That means the average ticket price was $19.12 each. If average ticket price was $30.00 you are looking at 36.3 percent of the tickets were free tickets. Will vary depending upon what the average ticket price actually is.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Are you “Guy” now? You’ll always be Blue and White Kid to the Boneyard.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Tickets distributed was a total of 125,544. Ticket revenue was $2.4 million. That means the average ticket price was $19.12 each. If average ticket price was $30.00 you are looking at 36.3 percent of the tickets were free tickets. Will vary depending upon what the average ticket price actually is.
2.4 million in ticket revenue and 3.5 million in overhead at the Rent !! Lol

Reaction Score
While you are right about the weather, nobody cared by that point. We didn’t even come close to a sellout against defending national champs UCF on opening night. No juice.

Reaction Score
It’s amazing to me how the general population reacts to Uconn sports. When I say that I mean non alums or CT folks with no ties to the school but are sports fans. I have a lot of friends that fall into this bucket. Many happen to be Patriot fans as well which does not help.

This group jumps on bandwagon for hoops and football so fast when they are good. It feels like they care almost as much as me. Attend games in droves, talk positively about teams and never miss a game in person or on TV. Identical group basically wants to shutter the programs when not winning. Such negativity to the point they seem to be rooting for us to be bad. Of course my sample size is not large but this mentality is so evident to me. It also plays into a typical northeast mentality especially for fans of successful pro teams.

So I fall into the bucket of if you win the attendance will take care of itself. Will we have sellouts immediately, of course not. Forget for a minute if we can do it or not, but if we had a UCF type recovery over the next 5 years what do you thunk attendance would look like?

Reaction Score
It’s amazing to me how the general population reacts to Uconn sports. When I say that I mean non alums or CT folks with no ties to the school but are sports fans. I have a lot of friends that fall into this bucket. Many happen to be Patriot fans as well which does not help.

This group jumps on bandwagon for hoops and football so fast when they are good. It feels like they care almost as much as me. Attend games in droves, talk positively about teams and never miss a game in person or on TV. Identical group basically wants to shutter the programs when not winning. Such negativity to the point they seem to be rooting for us to be bad. Of course my sample size is not large but this mentality is so evident to me. It also plays into a typical northeast mentality especially for fans of successful pro teams.

So I fall into the bucket of if you win the attendance will take care of itself. Will we have sellouts immediately, of course not. Forget for a minute if we can do it or not, but if we had a UCF type recovery over the next 5 years what do you thunk attendance would look like?
I really dislike when people generalize. I have no ties to the school but have been a faithful ticket holder since the Rent open.

Reaction Score
Happy you are a great fan. I did point out that my sample size is small and I am only giving my opinion based on that. 90 percent of that group of my friends are as I said. 10 percent are like you.

Reaction Score
What would it take to save UConn football? Seems like a never-ending spiral of negativity that we can't escape from. The rumblings to drop football and send hoops back to the Big East keep popping up every time we hear more bad news. Players transferring, diminished attendance, the beat just goes on and never seems to stop.

Nick Saban isn't walking through that door. 2019 has got to show improvement. I'm as diehard as anyone but am at my wit's end and struggling to keep hope.

Reaction Score
I really dislike when people generalize. I have no ties to the school but have been a faithful ticket holder since the Rent open.
There will always be exceptions like yourself and the University is lucky to have supporters like you. However, I agree with TMB in a general sense. There are far more fairweather UConn fans than not - and as he noted many are toxically negative when things are bad. That includes alumni, from my experiences.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom