UConn 2016 vs. WNBA Teams | The Boneyard

UConn 2016 vs. WNBA Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mississippi State's coach made an interesting statement about this year's team playing against WNBA teams. Nykesha Sales wades in on the subject.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-ba...-geno-auriemma-women-s-final-four-wnba-033116

What do you think? Remember what DT told Coach about WNBA players in last fall's minicamp? Along the lines of : tell them where they have to go on the floor and what they do when they get there and Give It A Name. :D

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sales is way off - even the bottom end of the WNBA teams is comprised of the players the equivalent of the 3 non-Uconn AAs on the AP team, who average maybe five years of growth and maturing as professional athletes. Stewart,Tuck, and Jefferson would match up talent wise and maybe surpass some of those players, but don't have the experience, the rest of the team, even Kia with her international experience would be chopped liver compared to the others on a WNBA team.

Sue had a great response to LaChina on her podcast - the energy of the college kids would really annoy the 30+ year old pros, and chasing Moriah around for 35 year old Sue would not be fun, but the IQ of the pros and their tricks learned through years of playing against really good defenders would just be too much.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Really? The suggestion: " How about the UConn women's team in exhibitions against WNBA teams?" Too far fetched to warrant even rebuke?

Sorry, UcM...we crossed in the cloud. This was a subject in a press conference and Stewie looked at the question propounder as if he was nuts.

Reaction Score
Years ago, I don't remember when, I seem to recall that there was a UCONN exhibition games against the US National Team instead of against a DII or DIII team. It was fun!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Really? The suggestion: " How about the UConn women's team in exhibitions against WNBA teams?" Too far fetched to warrant even rebuke?

Sorry, UcM...we crossed in the cloud. This was a subject in a press conference and Stewie looked at the question propounder as if he was nuts.
Frankly I'd have loved to have seen this team in an exhibition game against the worst team in the WNBA - last year it was the San Antonio Stars. Given that UCONN has 3 players, who if they all entered the draft, would be likely taken in the top 5. Kia Nurse and Lou are also likely future WNBA'ers, even tho they are a bit younger.

Danielle Robinson, Kayla McBride, Jia Perkins, Sophia Young and Jayne Appel vs. our starting 5? I think it would be closer than some might think. None of those players are as good as Stewie or Moriah right now IMHO. I still think SAS would win, but I think we'd give them a good game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Frankly I'd have loved to have seen this team in an exhibition game against the worst team in the WNBA - last year it was the San Antonio Stars. Given that UCONN has 3 players, who if they all entered the draft, would be likely taken in the top 5. Kia Nurse and Lou are also likely future WNBA'ers, even tho they are a bit younger.

Danielle Robinson, Kayla McBride, Jia Perkins, Sophia Young and Jayne Appel vs. our starting 5? I think it would be closer than some might think. None of those players are as good as Stewie or Moriah right now IMHO. I still think SAS would win, but I think we'd give them a good game.

Can you imagine what the NCAA would do to Conn for that! A day after the game a 3 year post season ineligibility and loss of 6 schollies. We would still be waiting for the ruling on North Carolina's decade and a half of academic fraud, but....

Reaction Score
Years ago, I don't remember when, I seem to recall that there was a UCONN exhibition games against the US National Team instead of against a DII or DIII team. It was fun!

Maya's freshman year. She came off the bench and hit her first two shots.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The USA national team I think played two or three college teams that year as they did back in 1996 with Tara - that was the one year they kept the team together for the full year leading up to the Olympics and they played a lot of exhibitions and friendlies. But that was also before WBB players had a lot of professional options and commitments.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
The USA national team I think played two or three college teams that year as they did back in 1996 with Tara - that was the one year they kept the team together for the full year leading up to the Olympics and they played a lot of exhibitions and friendlies. But that was also before WBB players had a lot of professional options and commitments.

UConn actually with the National Team in '96. For five minutes.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Team doesn't have experience and scoring coming off the bench. Now add Kiah Stokes and Stef Dolson to the team, then they might be able to give some teams a game for awhile. WNBA players have so much talent and experience that by the 3rd quarter they would be dominating UConn.

Reaction Score
The other Women coaches would scream bloody murder about recruiting advantages for UConn. Not going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom