Uconn 2015-16 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm going to have a whole thread on this later...but this is the horror show this year:
View attachment 8804
I'll try to blow it up when I make the full post, but that was the bottom 5 teams OOC results and RPIs. And if they just didn't lose non-P5 sub-100 teams (not that hard) all of their RPIs would be much higher--higher even than they are listed there, every individual RPI improvement helps everyone else in the league.

(Edit: not sure why the attachment isn't larger, since it is bigger on my computer.)
I hate to toss logic into the situation, but you do realize that even WITH the hypothetical improvements, those teams are all left with RPIs greater than 200, with one exception. Why on earth does it make logical sense that those teams could, should, or would beat teams with sub 100 RPIs when theirs is 100 places worse ?!!

The bottom line is, those teams SUCKED. And there is no reason to expect a team that sucks to beat a team that isn't good, but doesn't SUCK. For instance, South Florida sucked out loud. On no planet should we expect them to magically beat Bowling Green, Florida State, or Georgia Southern, regardless of their RPI being over 100.

Reaction Score
I don't get how a team that finishes in 6th place in the AAC and has Brimah/Nolan starting has "plenty" of talent. I just didn't see it this year and that was reinforced by watching some of these teams in the NCAA's.
The obvious corollary to that is, Nolan and Brimah both started most of the games the previous season when the team won the national championship. AND they were 2 years younger than they'll be next season. So to say they are the problem is a bit ridiculous. The problem - if there is one - is the guys surrounding Brimah and Nolan. Now, certainly, if they could improve, or someone else could come along and push them for minutes, that would improve things. But they've proven you can be as successful as possible, with Nolan and Brimah starting, or at least major contributors.

Reaction Score
Who gives a how many bids the AAC gets. Just as long as UConn gets one.
League perception and more bids = more potential units = more possible money for the league to share, which is what UConn needs while not in P5. We can't sustain our AD on AAC money unless multiple teams bring something back from the tournament every year

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
League perception and more bids = more potential units = more possible money for the league to share, which is what UConn needs while not in P5. We can't sustain our AD on AAC money unless multiple teams bring something back from the tournament every year

It's either get out or die. A few nickels from a handful of tourney wins isn't going to sustain anything.

Reaction Score
You make a great point. I think that's the biggest issue we face not being power 5. This has been a missed conversation that should make us all understand the importance of getting out of AAC. BUT WE ALL KNOW Uconn has tried and has tried hard. Our football team does not seem to be attractive enough

Reaction Score
I hate to toss logic into the situation, but you do realize that even WITH the hypothetical improvements, those teams are all left with RPIs greater than 200, with one exception. Why on earth does it make logical sense that those teams could, should, or would beat teams with sub 100 RPIs when theirs is 100 places worse ?!!

The bottom line is, those teams SUCKED. And there is no reason to expect a team that sucks to beat a team that isn't good, but doesn't SUCK. For instance, South Florida sucked out loud. On no planet should we expect them to magically beat Bowling Green, Florida State, or Georgia Southern, regardless of their RPI being over 100.
Oh, they still suck. But so did DePaul.

I can't run a scenario where I can adjust all their RPIs at once. The improvement of one school's RPI improves all the teams they play. So if ECU jumped to 143, and the others jumped into the low 200s, for each individual time I ran it for Houston, ECU was still a sub-200 team.

Point being, almost all those teams would have been ranked between 100-200 rather than sub-200 if they just won their terrible games.

That has no net effect on whether they suck or not. But it has a net effect on our conference RPI, and each school's individual RPI.

It probably makes Tulsa and Temple tournament teams this year.

It would almost certainly have had us on the bubble.

With all the same results except those last 5 schools winning games against garbage teams.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't get how a team that finishes in 6th place in the AAC and has Brimah/Nolan starting has "plenty" of talent. I just didn't see it this year and that was reinforced by watching some of these teams in the NCAA's.
The obvious corollary to that is, Nolan and Brimah both started most of the games the previous season when the team won the national championship. AND they were 2 years younger than they'll be next season. So to say they are the problem is a bit ridiculous. The problem - if there is one - is the guys surrounding Brimah and Nolan. Now, certainly, if they could improve, or someone else could come along and push them for minutes, that would improve things. But they've proven you can be as successful as possible, with Nolan and Brimah starting, or at least major contributors.
Add to this that Nolan played his worst bb when AB played his best (app. first 2/3 of the season) and the reverse was true the last part of the season. Same, although not as perfect a correlation, could be said of DHam and RP.

If they can have their A game together and Jalen learns the system quickly it is not impossible to believe UConn can be better next season than this season. Plus maybe next season teams choke on last second shots or UConn makes them at critical junctures of the season to bolster team spirit and confidence.

Reaction Score
Why do we have another thread about next season. Can't we all wait to the end of this week or next once all the transfer rumors shake out. We don't even know who is going to be on the team next year besides RP. We might even have some new commits coming in. I understand the need to talk about next year but I think it is an act of futility without knowing the lineup.

Reaction Score
It's either get out or die. A few nickels from a handful of tourney wins isn't going to sustain anything.
Well no . The point was while we are stuck here, we need as much money as possible to sustain as best we can

Reaction Score
2015-16 team will be good. Purvis, Hamilton, and Adams are going to be unstoppable.
Sounds great for scoring but that alone does not win. We got killed on the boards this year, especially the offensive boards. We need a warrior underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom