UConn 2004 vs UConn 2024 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn 2004 vs UConn 2024

Reaction Score
Im sure I’ll be crucified for this, but ive always thought 2004 was a flawed team. Played sloppy and needed one more ball handler. I go with 2024
No need for crucifixion. Marcus Williams ended up academically ineligible midway through the year, and his absence did leave us lacking backcourt depth. Ben and Taliek played heavy minutes and when they rested, it would usually mean Denham and Rashad on the wings.

Reaction Score
JC would do something insane like play a zone to neutralize Hurley's screening and motion offense.

Hurley would run Gordon and Anderson off the 3 point line.
I don't know who would win between these two teams, but the 2024's offense worked well against zone defenses, too. After a few baskets against the zone I could see Calhoun going back to man-to-man. He would be reluctant to go to a zone in the first place unlike in the early 90s when he felt he had to at times.

Reaction Score
If we’re lucky you can simulate in EA Sports… it’s in the game!

Idk if NCAA Football returning means anything for a college hoops video game but I can see it coming down the pipeline…

I’m not a video game guy but one day I’ll cave into a system.

Reaction Score
I usually favor the more modern athletes, but I think 04 is a terrible match up for 24. But we will never know.

One team had two top 4 lottery picks, one who went on the be rookie of the year. This back when drafts were much deeper and of higher quality top to bottom. Recency bias has made it easy to forget how good, big, and skilled that 04 team was. I love this 24 team, but I am not sure they beat the 23 team in a series. I love Castle, but he still hasn't played anyone on BG's level. Mek would give Donovan fits, just like Adama did in practice last year. Charlie and AK would be a good match-up, that I think favors Charlie. But that is just my take.

We can disagree. I think you’re significantly underrating Castle and the quality of players he’s defended. I think the idea that Clingan couldn’t handle Okafor is way off the mark - as much as I loved Emeka he’s not a lottery pick in 2024. I loved that ‘04 team but they lost 6 games, weren’t a 1 seed, and finished the regular season ranked outside the Top 5. And I also think the ‘24 team would mop the ‘23 team.

Reaction Score
04 wins 8 out of 10...maybe all 10.

It would also depend from era are the officials.
2024 is better and would take the series fairly easily. More ballhandlers/creators and better ball movement. Castle would slow Gordon down and Clingan would stop Okafor from scoring. Tristen is a lot better than Taliek. Only way '04 would win is if they got Clingan in serious foul trouble and I don't think that would happen often over 10 games.

2024 is the best college bball team I've seen the past 20 years.

Reaction Score
I usually favor the more modern athletes, but I think 04 is a terrible match up for 24. But we will never know.

One team had two top 4 lottery picks, one who went on the be rookie of the year. This back when drafts were much deeper and of higher quality top to bottom. Recency bias has made it easy to forget how good, big, and skilled that 04 team was. I love this 24 team, but I am not sure they beat the 23 team in a series. I love Castle, but he still hasn't played anyone on BG's level. Mek would give Donovan fits, just like Adama did in practice last year. Charlie and AK would be a good match-up, that I think favors Charlie. But that is just my take.
'24 is significantly better than '23.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
2024 is better and would take the series fairly easily. More ballhandlers/creators and better ball movement. Castle would slow Gordon down and Clingan would stop Okafor from scoring. Tristen is a lot better than Taliek. Only way '04 would win is if they got Clingan in serious foul trouble and I don't think that would happen often over 10 games.

2024 is the best college bball team I've seen the past 20 years.
This is where I am at as well. The across the board BBIQ of 2024 may never be matched. Every player was a threat in their own way, and the full blown commitment to the system resulted in machine-like performances. The 2024 machine wears down the (way) more athletic 2004, just like they did everyone else.

I still can't get over the fact that we ran through that tourney in such dominating fashion shooting poorly from deep for 3.5 games.

I'd go 7-3 in favor of 2024.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think 2024 would win largely because Clingan can pretty much shutdown Okafor and Castle would give Ben problems.

For 2004 to win they would have to take advantage of the other wing matchup (Rashad or Dehnam on Spencer) and the 4 matchup (Boone or Charlie on Karaban).

Think Charlie would be a mismatch with Karaban as Karaban struggles against high level athletes usually. But I don’t think it’ll be enough to carry 04 to a win. Without big games from Ben and Okafor.

2024 would pretty much attack whoever Ben or Rashad/Dehnam was guarding. Anybody in the starting lineup can get 20 while 2024 was highly dependent on Ben and Okafor.

Clingan legitimately is the most impactful player since AD.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Four lottery picks and another two first round picks

Plus Anderson & Brown & Brown and a deep bench of White, Tooles & Nelson

04 was pretty special

I love both teams

Jimmy would be the only coach that would figure out how to stop Danny's offense

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Two different teams 2 different eras but I strongly feel that 04 would give the 24 team fits.
Have to smile when folks think Castle would be problems for Ben. When Ben was on, and that year it was 99% of the time, he was virtually unstoppable. He gave an awesome defensive team in Pitt fits. Love Castle but Ben would show him a thing or two that would leave him shaking his head. Emeka would not allow DC to dominate him. That 04 team had shooters on the bench and that bench was talented. Top to bottom 04 was more talented and remember - the OBE was a beast of a conference - the physicality was bigger, quicker and stronger than it is now.
I feel the 04 wins a minimum of 6 out of 10. But I would not be surprised if it were 6-4 24 either, It's hard to speculate. The game and roster make-ups now vs then is a lot different. It would be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
What’s the opening line?

Best of 10?

Emeka
Taliek
Rashad
Gordon
Charlie

vs

Cam
Newt
Castle
Karaban
Clingan
(System)

I have my opinion, but need some healthy opinions from the crowd to support an argument with a friend.
2024. End of debate.

Reaction Score
Hurley's 23 & 24 teams averaged double digit wins in both tournaments and people on this board are suggesting that Calhoun's teams would have an edge.

Even legendary dook coach Krzyzewski never pulled off that feat.

You really can't compare teams from 20 years ago. The kids today have so much more awareness and training from a young age. Many of the top guys are basketball ready.

For what Calhoun did at UConn in the original Big East era, turning CT into a national powerhouse and winning multiple championships is legendary in his own right and he deserves to be recognized as the Best coach ever at UConn, but in this new era of basketball, transfer portal, NIL and Uber competitiveness at a young age.

It's not an apple and oranges comparison. It's not even a close comparison. Hurley wins probably 9 out 10 times with his guys.

That doesn't mean that Calhoun is less of a coach. It just means that the times have changed

It's like racing a 2004 Vette vs a 2024 Vette, both are nice but two very different cars.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have to smile when folks think Castle would be problems for Ben. When Ben was on, and that year it was 99% of the time, he was virtually unstoppable. He gave an awesome defensive team in Pitt fits. Love Castle but Ben would show him a thing or two that would leave him shaking his head.
I loved Ben Gordon as much as anyone and you don't average 18+ in back to back years in the Big East without being really gifted, but Castle locked up NBA talents all year long.

Devin Carter, Trey Alexander, Scheiermann (matched up mostly vs Karaban iirc), Olivari, Kam Jones were all 17+ ppg scorers in the best league in college basketball, and I guarantee you they'd pick just about any other defender in the nation before they'd want to matchup against Castle again.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Here’s the question everyone’s missing:

Which team has the coaching edge?

Laughs maniacally

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I loved Ben Gordon as much as anyone and you don't average 18+ in back to back years in the Big East without being really gifted, but Castle locked up NBA talents all year long.

Devin Carter, Trey Alexander, Scheiermann (matched up mostly vs Karaban iirc), Olivari, Kam Jones were all 17+ ppg scorers in the best league in college basketball, and I guarantee you they'd pick just about any other defender in the nation before they'd want to matchup against Castle again.

Castle could give Ben problems…but Ben is 50x the player of all those guys you just listed.

Reaction Score
Tough to call.

The '24 team didn't face a big man even remotely close to Okafor's overall ability and yes, that includes Edey. They didn't face a perimeter player anywhere near Gordon's talent either. Mark Sears gave us fits, I'm not sure '24 would do much to stop Gentle Ben. BG was a junior who was the #3 pick in the draft. '24 execution and cohesiveness were far better than '04. I'm sure '04 would struggle defensively against our sets from last year.

2004 was far more inconsistent but peaked at the right time. '24 didn't exactly set the nets on fire in the tournament. We shot only 30% from deep in the Big Dance; comical considering how dominant we were. Karaban shot 27% from three in the tournament. I don't know how many games 2024 would win shooting 30% from deep.

As with real life, keeping Clingan out of foul trouble would likely be the key. 2004's frontcourt depth was absurd. If Clingan got into foul trouble it'd be a route. They'd be great games with Clingan in there for his normal minutes.

Reaction Score
Are the players all born in ~1983, ~2003, or their own time periods and time travel shenanigans?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom